General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Snorkel-breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-16 9:19 AM

Subject: Snorkel-breathing
Hi all,
I know there are probably a million threads on this, but I wanted to see if someone could offer specific advice.

I have been swimming for about 3 years. (Adult onset). I always struggled with sinking legs, and the PB was my friend. Lately, I have been using a snorkel to develop a good feel for the water, my tautness and alignment, and catch, pull etc.

During the use of the snorkel, I made a discovery. I can swim all I want with it and my legs don't sink. Also...I feel that I breathe a lot more, which makes it so much easier to go longer.

Now, before you state the obvious (that I am lifting head too high without snorkel), when I use the PB, I practice keeping one eye submerged while breathing and looking back towards shoulder. So, I think I am keeping head low enough, but when I don't use snorkel, I don't breathe enough, and legs start sinking. It is weird that I can swim a 400 with a snorkel, and only about 100 without. Also, I started using the snorkel to practice the 2 beat kick.

Any advice out there??
Thanks!

2017-11-16 11:38 AM
in reply to: Burchib

Subject: RE: Snorkel-breathing

The issue might be your stroke rate and breathing cycle without the snorkel. 

If your stroke rate is low and you breath on every other stroke as most people do, you might simply not be getting enough air to feel comfortable in the water at moderate efforts. This is because your swim-specific muscular endurance in your arms are too weak to keep up a faster stroke rate and thus the problem is compounded when you breath on every other stroke, but solved when you put on a snorkel thus allowing you to breath whenever you want. 

I had this same problem for quite awhile as a beginning swimmer as well. It wasn't head position that fixed it for me - it was getting (substantially) stronger in the water so I could maintain a much faster stroke rate over distance, thus allowing me to take more breaths more frequently. This is a big reason why swimming is so hard and uncomfortable for newer and slower swimmers - the uncomfortable feeling of lacking enough air due to the slow stroke rate makes it unpleasant. 

Ironically, now that I'm decent enough in the water, I get significantly more air without the snorkel and thus swim faster without it.

2017-11-18 9:52 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have always found that a two-beat kick requires a lot more core engagement than a six-beat kick to maintain proper hydrodynamic positioning in the water. As you have issues with this aspect of your form, I suggest using a six-beat kick pattern rather than an a snorkel-dependent two-beat.
2019-11-12 7:38 AM
in reply to: Burchib

Hi, can someone tell how better use underwater Snorkel maybe some tips?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Snorkel-breathing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Foundational Breathing Method

Started by Burchib
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2017-11-03 1:12 PM Burchib

Sorry, ANOTHER breathing post HELP

Started by bazza172
Views: 1221 Posts: 14

2017-07-19 2:53 PM triosaurus

Breathing in Aero