General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Understanding shoes for cycling and pedals for a beginner triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-19 1:17 PM

Subject: Understanding shoes for cycling and pedals for a beginner triathlete
Hi all
i'm new to triathlons, coming from a running background. I know I ned to buy shoes for cycling during racing and training but I'm very confused by this whole world of cycling shoes and pedals. I'm doing a half ironman next year so yeah, need to learn about these....

Where do I even start? what's the difference between cleats, clipless pedals and clip-on pedals? What kind of cycling shoes do I need for long-distance triathlons? What kind of pedals do I look for? Sorry, this might be so basic, but I want to get my head round this in time for Black Friday sales ha ha and also on a more serious note, I need to get some to start training in and then train in.

Thank you all in advance!

2017-11-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: runner_tryingtotri

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Understanding shoes for cycling and pedals for a beginner triathlete
Here's a pretty good summary of the different pedal types. All of these are in what we call the "clipless" category even though all require "clipping in".

Probably the most common in road/triathlon cycling is the Shimano SPD SL which is what I use.

I know a lot of road cyclists that use the Speedplay pedals.

The Shimano SPD one-sided are typically used for mountain biking but you'll also see that type of pedal on spin bikes at the gym, which makes that choice somewhat flexible. The other types listed are less common. I see the Look Keo pedals on road bikes but the Shimano's SPD SL's are the most common.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/best-clipless-pedals-...

I also suggest visiting a bike shop and ask them to show you the different types and how they work.
2017-11-20 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Understanding shoes for cycling and pedals for a beginner triathlete

Well, you will likely get a wide variety of answers since people have their own preferences.  Personally I use SPD-SL pedals/cleats ('clipless') and tri shoes for racing and warm weather training.  I also have a pair of road bike shoes I wear when the weather is colder but it's totally not necessary to have 2 pair of shoes. 

Some people do OK with cages that go on the pedals (plastic cage with straps) but personally I think clipless is the best way to go.  These are a bit of a misnomer since you are actually clipping in and attaching yourself to the pedal with the cleat as mentioned above.

They take a little practice to get used to clipping in and out but most people pick it up quickly.  Good luck to you in your training!

Edited by melbo55 2017-11-20 9:53 AM
2017-11-20 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Clip on/Clip in refer to the "old school" toe cages and have been largely replaced by "clipless" pedals (which are really clip in...)

Cleats are the piece that attach to your shoes and engage the clipless pedals.  

Common types:
SPD:  Aka. Mountain bike style, also common on spin bikes.  Usually double sided with a small, metal cloverleaf shaped cleat.  
Shimano/Look/Keo:  Common on road bikes.  Usually single sided but weighted so they hang ready to engage with a larger, composite cleat.  
Speedplay:  Lollipop shaped pedals, double sided, with a large, metal, cleat with a receiving hole for the pedal.  

Speedplay pedals are popular because many of them offer adjustable "float."  I.e. the pedal/cleat combination allows some rotation side-to-side before disengaging.  I have Speedplays on my road bike.  I have SPD on my tri-bike.  For long races, I'll swap the Speedplays onto my tri bike.  I like either for triathlon because I'm less worried about running through transition with the metal cleats and I like the dual sided entry.  

Bike shoes fall into 3 categories:
Mountain bike shoes are typically designed for off-roads and are easier to walk in.  They may or may not have laces.  They may be woven nylon/canvas/composite but often have a rubberized sole with tread.  They usually accept SPD cleats and may or may not accept other cleats.  
Road shoes are typically used for road biking, usually with a strap instead of tie laces, but may have a Kevlar lace that locks in place.  These will generally accept most styles of pedals.  Designed for aerodynamics with smooth, stiff, hard, soles (often carbon fiber).  
Triathlon shoes are an offshoot of road shoes with a single velcro strap that holds opposite of road shoes.  They usually have some holes for water to drain out as they're intended for races where you don't dry off and don't wear socks.  In theory, they're intended to allow you to mount your bike barefoot with the shoes already attached to the pedals and you can slip your feet inside as you ride.  This skill takes lots of practice, and many races no longer allow this.  

I have road shoes even for tri's.  I never got good at putting my feet in while riding.  For anything longer than a sprint, I put socks on, put my shoes on, and run through transition with my shoes on.  (For sprints, I skip the socks, but still put my shoes on.)  In a HIM, you'll most likely be coming off the bike in the late morning when the sun has really heated up the asphalt.  *I* don't want to blister my feet just before running 13.1 miles so I don't run barefoot through transition.  

2017-11-20 1:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Be prepared to fall over one time when you can't get your foot unclipped in time. I think it's a right of passage.
2017-11-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by NeilsWheel Be prepared to fall over one time when you can't get your foot unclipped in time. I think it's a right of passage.

Shhh...

Here's my suggestion for this...if you normally put down your left foot, put the pedal and bike shoe on your RIGHT foot only.  Clip in with your right foot, but use a regular platform pedal and tennis shoe on your left foot.  You can start/stop, etc. and get comfortable with your right foot clipped, then switch...put the platform pedal back on your right side, put the clipless on your left, and practice starting/stopping as you clip in.  

While it may look silly to ride with two different shoes, it looks a lot sillier to be flopping around on the ground with a bike stuck between your legs (and yes...it WILL happen...)  

2017-11-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

thank you so much for breaking that down.

So basically, I need the clipless shoes, cleats and pedals?

I'm doing HIM in UK where it will be cold so doubt the sun will be out much anyway!
2017-11-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: reecealan

Ah okay - makes sense - when you mentioned the spin bike, I figured which pedal you were talking about.
2017-11-20 3:44 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

Originally posted by NeilsWheel

Be prepared to fall over one time when you can't get your foot unclipped in time. I think it's a right of passage.

ha that is the one thing i'm prepared for. I've heard how everyone falls over at least afew times at the beginning.
2017-11-21 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

Start by breathing easy.
And by accepting you may make the wrong choice at some point and end up shelling out some more money. Welcome to triathlon.

I have posted your exact question....many times in many places...and much further along in my exposure to tri...and still get confused.
It seems like it should be more simple. And it is. But it isn't.

The link reecealan is really good. You can winnow it down even further.

I have done extensive unscientific research on this. And amongst average joe triathlonners....you'll find 90% using:
-some variation of SPD
-some flavor of Look
-some flavor of Speedplay

The majority are the first two flavors.
The balance is made up of some of the more exotic, alien looking ones on that page.

Of the Shimano, most are using SPD-SL (triangles with generally yellow tips for cleats) or the 105 SPD ones. The cleats are not interchangeable.
Look basically has 2 models (with material/weight variations for each). The cleats are not interchangeable between the two models. For each model there's some variation in the cleats, but I think it has to do with how much "play" they have while clipped in. You can always start with the 'standard' for them. The differing flavors of cleats are interchangeable, assuming they are for the right model.
Speedplay, I know so little about....so I don't know about interchangeability between Speedplay pedals. Maybe someone else can help there.

The other SPD stuff pedals that use cleats that look like a cross between a spade and a club from a deck of cards are not uncommon in my research at races, but not nearly as common as the others. That being said, most spin bikes use these kind of pedals, so a pair of these cleats are handy if you ever do that kind of thing. That being said, don't let convention (even more exacting...MY PERCEPTION of convention) lead you one direction.

The good news is, MOST (but not all) shoes are interchangeable with almost all the cleats. There are differences between road/MTB/and "tri" shoes. I find the tri shoes far more comfortable....mainly because I have wide feet and finding wide cycling shoes will cost you a fortune. The tri ones I've tried on or worn, have a little more...looser....'comfort' fit than road shoes. The bummer here, is, unless you have a tri shop (and even then), they may only carry a limited range of brands/flavors in store to actually try on. The good news is here, I'm sure the local stores are as good as the internet tri-stores seem to be in allowing for returns.

Unfortunately, none of the bike shops near me carry all the different flavors of pedals. Some will carry all the cleats, but not the pedals. Some carry only one or two flavors. So it was hard for me to get side-by-sides. If you've got a shop that carries everything.....schedule a session with the fitter. Even if you've done a full fitting, I bet you can get some sort of 'pedal fit' session or something for a negotiated price.

The good news? If you buy a pedal/cleat/shoe system and find one you like better....it'll just make it easier when you acquire your second and third bikes. You won't have to keep switching pedals and stuff.

Edited by jhaack39 2017-11-21 3:29 PM
2017-11-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

FTR,

I blame Shimano for my confusion.
They need friendlier names than SPD, SPD-SL, SPD-ETC.

Something like..."Roadbike Clips" "Roadbike Pedals"
Or even "Roadbike You Can Certainly Use These For Tri Clips and Pedals"

Or even better "Johnbuythesetheyregonnabethebestforyou Pedals and Clips"

2017-11-21 8:16 PM
in reply to: #5231220

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Just to throw a curve ball, I’m currently using Time ATAC carbon pedals. Uber easy in/out
2017-11-22 7:59 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by jhaack39

(stuff deleted)

The good news is here, I'm sure the local stores are as good as the internet tri-stores seem to be in allowing for returns. Unfortunately, none of the bike shops near me carry all the different flavors of pedals. Some will carry all the cleats, but not the pedals. Some carry only one or two flavors. So it was hard for me to get side-by-sides. If you've got a shop that carries everything.....schedule a session with the fitter. Even if you've done a full fitting, I bet you can get some sort of 'pedal fit' session or something for a negotiated price. The good news? If you buy a pedal/cleat/shoe system and find one you like better....it'll just make it easier when you acquire your second and third bikes. You won't have to keep switching pedals and stuff.

The pedals generally come with one set of cleats.  You can buy replacement cleats.  

Pedal fit is part of a standard bike fit as the cleats can often be adjusted on the shoe.  

2017-11-24 10:38 AM

User image

Lots of talk about the various cleat/pedal systems. One thing that's been left out, however, is the two different common cleat attachment methods. SPD cleats attach via two centrally located threaded holes that are close together. The SPD-L and Look pedals have three attachment points that are spread out more. Speedplay pedals work best with a special 4-hole attachment arrangement that's fairly uncommon, but can work with the common 3 hole that SPD and Look use. Why all this matters is that most shoes are one standard or the other. Only a handful can accommodate both a two hole cleat and a 3 hole cleat. So you kinda need to decide what cleat & pedal system you want, first, then shop for shoes with a compatible mounting system.

If you're just starting with clipless, I'd suggest standard SPD's, I find them a little easier to get uncleated at a stop. I've ridden SPD's on my road bike for three years, never had a fall. Put Looks on my tri bike, and, despite two years of experience with the SPD's, I had my first failure-to-unclip related tumble. It was embarrassing, but harmless.

"Triathlon" specific shoes generally are designed for quicker on/off (usually just two velcro straps, plus a larger pull strap at the back) and better ventilation to help wet feet from the swim dry faster. They're more important for short course triathlons, where transition times are a more critical to your overall placing. Long course triathletes (HIM & Longer) often opt for a conventional road shoe, figuring that a lighter, or more aerodynamic, or more comfortable shoe will save them more time over a long bike ride than they'd save with a quick-transitioning triathlon shoe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Understanding shoes for cycling and pedals for a beginner triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

beginner DVD's for cycling

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 850 Posts: 13

2017-11-08 5:39 AM Hot Runner

Bike pedals and shoe plates

Started by dahoffman72
Views: 1027 Posts: 4

2017-04-18 10:16 AM dahoffman72

Heavy woman, Beginner Triathlete

Started by tvobsessor
Views: 622 Posts: 1