General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help with cramps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-11-22 1:03 PM

Subject: help with cramps
help. i did my first tri last year and cramped up badly. did a half marathon in march and bought some hot shots. they helped but cramped up badly. i then trained for a 100 mile bike ride and added mg and multi vit to my diet and made sure i was well hydrated. no cramps while training but on mile 95 ish cramped up badly and had two hot shots and 30 minutes to get so i could finish the last 5 miles. then last sat i completed a marathon. despite a total of 9 hot shots and a bottle of the nuun electrolyte tabs throughout the race about every hour i cramped up at mile 15 and limped the last 11. so despite adding mg, k, multi vit, hydrating with water and powerade, and hot shots throughout the race im still cramping enough to make me have to walk and gut it out. i want to do a half iron man in may, but frankly im tired of the cramping enuf to stop the sport. any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

2017-11-22 2:42 PM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: help with cramps

Do you cramp consistently in training?  

If you do, then it shouldn't have been a surprise during your events.  

If you don't, look for what you're doing differently between training and racing.  Effort?  Pre-race nutrition?  

What were your long workouts leading up to the ride?  To the marathon?  

2017-11-22 3:31 PM

User image

Cramping is usually because of overworked muscles or an electrolyte imbalance. If you have trained thoroughly for each race then it is probably an electrolyte imbalance. Have you tried salt tablets? Some people swear by pickle juice.
2017-11-22 5:06 PM
in reply to: b2run

i did not cramp during training, but always cramp race day. my long ride was 80 miles and cramped on 95. my long run/walk was 25 with mainly 20. although i admit i dont train well for runs because my i t bands flair up badly. must just be effort. i will train harder for next years tris and see what happens, but if i cant find a solution to this i will be done with endurance stuff. it was embarrassing to not even be breathing hard at any point in the marathon and getting passed all the time cause my legs were cramping.
i appreciate the thoughts.
2017-11-22 10:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess it is probably a pacing issue (pushing the bike and/or run too hard for your fitness level, given the course and race day conditions), assuming you are actually properly hydrated. Everyone's needs for the latter are different, and I'm assuming you've experimented with tweaking that--if not, it may be that you need more fluids, or more or less concentrated fluids than what you have been using. Some people have trouble getting enough sodium in long events without salt tabs, sticks, or the like. I struggled with fading late in races (not necessarily cramping) until I figured out that I'm a heavy (though not salty) sweater, and need considerably more fluids than my size might indicate. The recommendations you see are just averages, and can vary by huge amounts depending on body size, gender, pacing, intensity, weather, event duration, etc. etc.

I would start very conservatively with both bike and run and pick it up toward the end only if you are not cramping. Particularly true if you have not hit the race distances in training and this is a full IM or marathon. I haven't done full IM, but I know even when I'm having a good HIM run, the pace feels quite slow as I go out, even though I'm often starting 10-20 seconds a mile too fast. I imagine that if my run fitness were strong, IM pace might feel ridiculously slow at the outset, even if I was running under my goal pace for the whole race.

Edited by Hot Runner 2017-11-22 10:56 PM
2017-11-23 8:17 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

again thx for the advice. i will add/try salt tabs, its the only thing i havnt tried yet. will see what happens.

2017-11-23 10:57 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
If those don't work, I would then take a serious look at pacing. Particularly if you haven't met or exceeded the race distance in training, you really can't use tables and the like to predict your pace for longer runs/rides. Those assume adequate training for and experience at the distance. They're also not very accurate for many people, as different people have different natural abilities for speed/power vs. endurance. (I'm thinking of those tables where you try to predict your run pace for one distance based on another or on a threshold test, or typical advice for % of your FTP that you "should" be able to hold for various cycling distances.) Those are at best ballpark figures. I know for example that I can hold what I "should" be able to for HIM bike; I can't for sprint distance. There is less of a difference between those for me than for most people. Probably partly due to training, body build, muscle type, experience at the sprint distance. I'm sure plenty of others would find the opposite is true.)
2017-11-24 2:33 PM

User image

Since you only cramp during races, my guess is that you're putting a lot more effort in compared to when you're training and so you're muscles are stressed. If you up the intensity and duration of training, it should help. Water running will be easier on your IT band but it won't get your muscles stressed enough to help with the cramping.
2017-11-24 6:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by bnsafe

again thx for the advice. i will add/try salt tabs, its the only thing i havnt tried yet. will see what happens.

do you always cramp in the same place ? quads, adductors....
2017-11-25 5:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
I like to think of muscle cramps as a committee decision. The cells that go "haywire" are stimulated by about a 1000 of different inputs.

The cell body decides when to spark based on multiple stimuli. The final signal goes down the axon.

If you do dialysis on someone down to their "dry weight" they will suffer terrible muscle cramps due to the sudden change in electrolytes and sudden fluid shifts.

If you operate on someone's knee or back they seem to get pretty bad cramps in the back, hamstrings and calf muscles. That's probably due to the pain stimuli.

If someone has a spinal cord injury they end up with some pretty bad muscle cramps.

If you overwork someone in therapy they seem to get muscle cramps from the muscle fatigue.

Some of the new medications such as Tazanidine seem to work pretty well, but you'd never dream of taking that before an athletic event.

Proper distance training to get the muscle built up to last the endurance obviously will help. An appropriate rest period before the main event. My experience has been a good night's sleep 2 nights before the event is probably more important than the night of the event.
Keeping pain stimuli to a minimum will help such as having a good position on the bike, clothes that fit well and are comfortable, and shoes that fit your feet well and help to distribute the forces on the bottom of your feet. Train as you're going to compete. Matching the terrain of your training with the event. Those hills you could do really well at mile 20 aren't so easy at mile 80. Don't overstretch before the race. Don't help your neighbor move furniture the day before the event. Don't go out heavy drinking for at least 48 hours before the event. Don't significantly change what you eat for 72 hours before the event. Stay well hydrated. Relax when you ride and try to enjoy it, it will help cut down on the muscle tone. Don't change your seat height before a race. Start the ride slow and easy. Wait a few minutes into the ride before you put all your power in. Most times when you're going to have a cramp there is a little subtle irritation to the muscle or motor group. If you feel that, try to subtly change your position, relax the muscle groups, and slow down. If you let it go into a full blown cramp you're probably out of the race. Often if you do slow down and relax you may be able to speed it up a little.

Just some thoughts.
2017-11-25 6:26 PM
in reply to: NeilsWheel

Chamomile tea is known for its antispasmodic properties, tending to calm and relax cramps. I find the taste too bland by itself. Combine it with ginger root or add a few drops of vanilla extract and sweeten with honey. For menstrual cramps you may find help from ginger root, fennel, peppermint and raspberry leaf teas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » help with cramps Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 992 Posts: 5

2017-07-15 7:56 PM Hot Runner

Cramped up at my first triathlon

Started by Kreshendo
Views: 2380 Posts: 13

2018-02-07 8:11 AM personaltrainer

Cramping on the run portion 70.3

Started by Chitwnnole
Views: 908 Posts: 7

2017-04-13 12:09 PM nc452010

Hamstring cramp AFTER swim with wetsuit