WTC
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 42m 33s
Overall Rank = 1907/2236
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 263/289
Pre-race routine:

Got to Tempe Thursday evening and checked in Friday after going for an easy 40 minute run with 5x1:00 pickups. Walked around expo. Ran a bit Saturday morning with my friend Phil and had breakfast at Ncounter. A bit after 12pm I did a final bike safety check and checked it into the bike racks area then checked in my my bike and run gear bags.

Went to sleep (tried to, hehe) at 10pm. Got up at 4am and made a couple peanut butter and honey toasties. Ate one with a banana and Gatorade. On the way to the parking garage near the race site I ate apple sauce. Arrived at my bike at 5:40 and saw Phil shortly after who had to go use a porta potty. I set up my bike nutrition and ate my 2nd toastie. As I was eating I walked out of the bike racks area to the porta potties outside because the lines were too long for the portapotties there. On my way there I bumped into Marcos and bid him a great race.

Made it back to my bike around 6:10am and started finalizing my special needs bags and walked them over to the bike special needs truck under the bridge and run special needs staging area.

Walked briskly back to my bike at 6:20 where I started to put on my wetsuit. A bit behind schedule but still on time. I carefully installed it and lubed all key areas and poured 2 bottles of warm water into my wetsuit and shortly after the pro men started at 6:40 I was heading to my swim coral. Met up with Elisa near the swim start then warmed up.
Event warmup:

After warming up, I wiggled my towards the front of the 1:20 corral since I decided to swim at a super comfortable aerobic pace to enjoy my start of the day. On a more feeling aggressive day I'd seed in the 1:10 corral.
Swim
  • 1h 26m 42s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

Stayed in the middle/right zone where I found some swimmers to draft and pass. I swam a bit more than 2.4 miles due to this but I didn't mind. Contact was minimal. The sun was super bright though heading east. I swam about a quarter mile longer than needed but that's the cost of swimming away from the buoys. =P

2015 time: 1:22:09
2017 time: 1:26:42
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I planned and executed my pacing to have a great start to a long race.
Transition 1
  • 17m 30s
Comments:

Took my time here. The wetsuit peelers helped get my wetsuit off and I walked to my bike gear bag and changed inside the tent next to the entrance where it was warm. Dried myself as much as possible, re-lubed for the bike course, packed my sunscreen, lube case, spare tube.

The volunteer coordinator was advising us that the winds have picked up already and to be careful about that. I was thinking as I heard this, uh oh.

Yeah, yeah, hurry my ass up but I decided to just chill and continue enjoying my day and make sure I don't forget anything.
Bike
  • 7h 18m 34s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I went with my "should" pacing and executed that well but my nutrition plan failed. I took everything as I did during training and a bit more but it was still insufficient. I needed more water! I got a slow leak in my front tire around mile 90 and was lucky to be able to pump it up and go until I reached the aid station at Shea where the bike mechanic helped me replace my inner tube. Man that was quite a bit of stressful stopping and going to get there. >.<

I had to stop and pee more often than during training and had to lube 2 more times due to chafing starting to happen. This may be due to the super dry conditions.

2015 time: 8:01:56
2017 time: 7:18:34

Test bib shorts and drink more water. More peeing should have been a sign! Flat tire, it may have been possible to save time by changing the tube myself but they were my friend Bernard's Zipps 404 with a disc config rear. I was worried about scratching them or something silly like that, hehe.
Transition 2
  • 14m 56s
Comments:

Was very mindful changing here because I was dizzy and nauseated getting off the bike and walking into the change tent. The water I drank while changing helped but I still had to take a moment to sit and recollect myself because I was not able to walk straight.

Drink more water in hot, dry, and windy conditions even I don't feel thirsty.
Run
  • 6h 24m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I was able to walk straight I exited T2 and made my way onto the run course and I was already cramping. Walked it off until I was able to run more but my left hamstring locked up. It must have locked up twice before mile 1 marker then once more after the mini hill about a half mile before mile 2. After that finally settled down my planned pacing (at 2:30/0:30) was going well despite feeling side cramps on my right the whole time.

After about an hour I shifted to a faster pace of 5:00/0:30 run/walk but that didn't hold more than 20 minutes due to worsening cramps so I dropped the pace back to my initial pace until mile 16. From there I was forced to a 1:00/1:00 run/walk pace. So many people were not doing so well and were walking which was a nice pickup mentally for me because I kept reeling them in one by one. Also shortly after mile 15, my 920xt starting warning me that it's low on battery power. I guess it dropped to 25% and at that point in time, I was about 12 hours into the race. It bugged me so turned the watch functions off and went with the time to do my run/walk intervals.

I wasn't able to do any more running up the long hill at Curry though so I walked that whole thing up. I think that was after mile 23 where my legs were jellified. I'm not entirely sure but walking this time felt much harder than 2015. Shortly after the last aid station, my stomach felt queasy but there were no more porta potties so I had to keep myself together and poop after I pass the finish line. That in itself was VERY hard to do, hehehe.

2015 time: 6:42:11
2017 time: 6:24:53

Not much, I really pushed myself and my feet and legs were really hurting.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got a mylar blanket, and quickly went to a portapotty and pooped ALOT. O_O Good thing I kept my cleaning wipes that I had in my special needs bag because there was barely any TP left. After cleaning up I returned to the finish area and saw Elisa and chatted a bit and drank Endurox.

Then I went for a massage and the chicken soup I had in there really helped me feel better. Maybe I should have taken some during the run. Ate a banana and pizza before heading out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Warmer and windier conditions than predicted. Not hydrating well enough. Disc wheel may have affected me as well due to crosswinds. Also the construction near our hotel was so loud that I had to use the a/c fan to drown it out but that didn't help me sleep well either. 3 nights in a row of insufficient quality sleep was also factor in my performance.

Event comments:

I'd do this again but I think I want a change of venue for my next Ironman race. :)

Last updated: 2017-02-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:42 | 3862 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 182/289
Overall: 1299/2236
Performance: Average
Aerobic zone pacing, never out of breath, go forever pace
Suit: Roka Maverick Pro Fullsuit
Course: Rectangular out and back
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 17:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
07:18:34 | 112 miles | 15.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 269/289
Overall: 1425/2236
Performance: Below average
Aerobic zone pacing and less than 0.60IF power overall.
Wind: Headwind
Course: 3 laps out of Tempe to Beeline to Shea and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 14:56
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:24:53 | 26.2 miles | 14m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 253/289
Overall: 1850/2236
Performance: Bad
Aerobic zone pacing with run/walk pacing strategy. 2:30/0:30 first hour, 5:00/0:30 for 15 minutes then back to previous pacing to mile 16. 1:00/1:00 to mile 23 and walked.
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Beach Park area to bridge, back to T2, out to residential area that had some hills and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes