BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2018-01-15 4:12 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN)

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by soccermom15

I bailed on my run yesterday .  Temperatures were nice (mid-50's) but the wind was awful!  I can do cold, hot, rain, snow, even ran in sleet once, but I hate running in 20mph winds.  So I used it as an excuse to skip the run.  Now I'm feeling a little guilty about it.  I haven't been running much anyway due to my knee issues, but I can't keep skipping it "just because".  I've found some motivation and accountability to do my bike workouts this winter, just need to find something similar for my running.  

Janet

https://my.davisphinneyfoundation.org/fundraiser/1235009

There you go!  Nothing like Jillian yelling at you to get you motivated!

LOL - not exactly what I had in mind but it'll work!

2018-01-15 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Lack of Motivation

I'm sitting here in the midst of a fairly good winter storm.  We had freezing rain overnight and now a couple inches of snow per hour is coming down.  Outdoors really isn't very inviting right now.  That got me thinking - who really wants to train when it's like this?

Staying motivated during the short cold days of winter can be tough on the hardiest of athletes.  It was hard when I lived in sunny Southern California and it's even harder now so I thought I'd offer a couple of the things I have done in the past to help keep motivation up and training on track.

1. Schedule your training . . . and keep the appointment.  Don't just say, tomorrow I will go train.  Schedule your workout at least a day or two in advance and WRITE IT DOWN.  "INK" it into your calendar, put it into your phone.  Make yourself accountable to that specific appointment.  That way, you know what you will be doing and when you will be doing it - regardless of the weather.
  2. Make your training short and focused.  Be realistic about how long you can be outdoors - if at all.  Add some intensity to compensate for the shorter duration but keep it simple.  Know exactly what the purpose of each training session is and don't go beyond that.
  3. Keep a positive focus.    In the winter, when the weather turns bad and the elements conspire against us, it's easy to allow our focus to shift from the positive to the negative.  Instead of considering all the benefit we get from a workout, we instead consider the things that we have no control over - the weather.  Remember that excellence in sport is built upon a positive mental focus.

Happy training!

I found that the scheduling thing was the only way to make things work for me.  I usually have a 10-12 week plan in place but try to sit down at some point on the weekend and go over the next week's workouts.  Then I can shuffle if I need to based on life and it also lets me focus on what's coming up that week - is it a hard week, an easier week, do I need to adjust any workouts, etc.  If I look too far ahead I start to feel a little overwhelmed, so I just take things one week at a time.  

Janet

2018-01-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by BakerBryan So I know I’m gettting old now. I did my 40 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon and afterwards I wasdoing my usual stretches but this time I ended up falling asleep on the floor for an hour. Lol I woke up with my dog passed out next to me.

Great job getting your run in!  And a little impromptu nap never hurt anyone. 

2018-01-15 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Training and Season Planning

So, where are you at?  Do you have a plan?  Do you have a vision of what your season will look like?  The best time to answer those questions is now, before we get into the triathlon season.

I'll start!  I'm in the midst of a very intense swim build that will lead to the U.S. Masters National Swimming Championships in May.  I am also working though a 14-week focused cycling block designed to improve my aerobic base and increase FTP.  After the cycling block I will begin a long base phase, then in mid-May begin the build to Ironman Louisville.  I can't flesh it out much more then that because my training is predicted on completed trainings.  

I'd love to hear what everyone else has in mind for your upcoming season.

Sorry for so many posts in a row - I've been offline for a couple days and I'm trying to catch up.

So - where am I at?  I am in the middle of an intense cycling block - getting ready for the Tour of Sufferlandria in 3 weeks.  Cycling workouts 6 days a week plus some yoga workouts, not much in the way of running or swimming though.  Once the Tour is over I have a recovery week (no cycling but I'll start adding back in the running and swimming) and then start in on a 10 week Olympic distance plan.  The plan leads up to the Gateway tri in May.  I wasn't sure what to do after that but my tri club is planning to do a big, group event at a local race in July so I may sign up for that.  I'm thinking I'll go with a run focused plan for that but it will depend on how the race in May goes.  

Janet

2018-01-15 4:49 PM

User image

New user

Originally posted by BakerBryan

So I know I’m gettting old now. I did my 40 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon and afterwards I wasdoing my usual stretches but this time I ended up falling asleep on the floor for an hour. Lol I woke up with my dog passed out next to me.

This made my day!!! I've realized my "recovery" takes longer than my workout. From foam rolling, ice baths and rest....after a 20 min run
2018-01-15 5:02 PM
in reply to: Kryskamp

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Krys60

NAME: Kris

STORY: I just turned 60. I like be to swim and bike and walk/jog. I’ve always admired the triathlete. I’m scared out of my mind to do this but here I am. It’s now or never. Thank you for including me. I know absolutely nothing about how to do this! I am a true beginner! 

Hey Kris,

I had said a few days ago I'd get back to you with some thoughts on getting your training started.  Alright, I know I said "later today."  I sometimes suffer from a casual relationship with time!  LOL

For the sake of what I am about to say, I am going to make the assumption you are, as you said, "a true beginner" with little or no formal structured training in your background.  You mentioned you like to swim, bike, and walk/jog so that implies you have some base fitness but I'm going to start at the very beginning so that you can pick and choose what is appropriate for your current level.

You are likely familiar with "exercise."  It's important to understand that while training is exercise, exercise is not necessarily training.  Exercise is physical activity done for it's own sake - gaining fitness, losing weight, simply to feel better.  Training on the other hand is physical activity done for the purpose of fulfilling a long-term performance goal - training is exercise with a purpose.  Going from exercise - even regular exercise - to training can be a surprising shock to the body.  So the very first thing that needs to happen is a new athlete should "train-to-train" so that you can develop a base level of fitness without overwhelming your body.

Start slow and build up.  You don't want to go from zero exercise to 6-hours a day.  Your body will simply shut down and say, "NO."  Gradually build up to increasing volume (distance and/or time).

I'm going to start with the swim.  Not because I spoke swimming as my first athletic language but because swimming is highly technical and the one discipline that many triathletes struggle with. If you don't have reasonably good technique, you will simply be trying to beat the water into submission.  You will be exhausted in a very few short moments and you won't be going very far very fast.  My very best suggestion is that you find a qualified coach or instructor that can provide lessons.  One thing that it seems a VAST majority of "adult-onset" swimmers have overlooked is learning the fundamentals of swimming.  On my old website I have an article that goes through learning the fundamentals and working up to proper freestyle swimming -

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/resources/stroke-technique/31-novice/77-freestyle-from-the-beginning

Once you have gotten through the fundamentals and are swimming freestyle, you can progress to my novice workout plan that will guide you to the swim fitness needed to begin most sprint training plans.

http://triathlonswimcoach.com/index.php/en/workouts/novice

Next up is cycling.  You mentioned you love riding.  My best advice is to do just that.  Go out and ride - three or four times a week.  Maybe begin with 30-minutes or whatever duration you are comfortable with.  I wouldn't be overly concerned with speed at first, just simply go ride.  On each successive ride, go just a couple more minutes.  I see you are in Michigan so "going out and riding" may be easier said then done.  There are a couple options - assuming you have a road bike, you can purchase a trainer ($200-400 depending upon model) so you can ride indoors, or you can go to a gym and ride a spin bike.  The spin bike isn't the best option but it is better than not riding due to weather.  In any case, just casually get on a bike and ride.  If you are riding the full duration of the swimming novice plan, then like swimming, your cycling will be at a level that you can begin a sprint training plan.

Finally there is running.  If you aren't already a runner or comfortable running at least a mile, I would suggest a "Couch-to-5k" (C25K) plan.  You can search for a C25K plan and download it to your smart phone.  Most of the C25K plans are 12-week plans that will take you from mostly walking and some running to all running.  It's done in very gradual steps so you progress naturally.

As you are progressing through those first steps, you can take a look at the sprint triathlon training plans here on BT (click "Training Plans" at the top of the page, then select "Free" under the membership drop down, or you can also look at the various paid plans).

Hope that helps and know you will have your Gray Guys/Gals family here that can answer any questions you might have as you move forward.

2018-01-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Onurleft20
Originally posted by BakerBryan So I know I’m gettting old now. I did my 40 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon and afterwards I wasdoing my usual stretches but this time I ended up falling asleep on the floor for an hour. Lol I woke up with my dog passed out next to me.
This made my day!!! I've realized my "recovery" takes longer than my workout. From foam rolling, ice baths and rest....after a 20 min run

I have an athlete I've been working with for a while that also spends an immense amount of time on recovery activity.  I'm continually amazed how much peripheral time she puts in - foam rolling, pre-stretching, post-stretching, icing, ice-baths, PT exercises, the list goes on and on.  A one-hour workout takes nearly three hours by the time everything else is added in

All that highlights one of the biggest changes as we get older - recovery time increases.  Back when I was in high school I could swim a couple hours in the morning, run an hour after school, strength train before afternoon swim workout, then get in the pool for a few more hours, never mind I could eat dirt while I was doing all that.  Then I could bounce back and do it all again the next day.  Now, not so much.  Whether it's an injury, or a hard workout, recovery just takes longer.  That's the problem with vast majority of the pre-written training plans available today - they don't reflect the recovery needs of the maturing athlete.  You can use those plans, but you will likely need to build in additional recovery time to stay healthy.

LOL, I need a nap now!

2018-01-15 6:24 PM
in reply to: Kryskamp

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Krys60 Oh my goodness! Thank you SO much for all the input! I like to swim so I have a good pair of goggles. I have a decent road bike that I love to rides. I will need to get running shoes. There’s a great store for that not far from here. I have an Apple Watch. Will that help me with the timing things?

Hey Kris,

Sorry, I missed this question.

There's is a place you can get all of your equipment questions answered in more detail then you probably ever need.  D.C. Rainmaker reviews virtually all of the exercise technology available - including watches.  It just so happens that he has reviewed the Apple watch .  You can read his review here - 

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/apple-watch-series3-cellular-fitness-sport-review.html

Hope that answers the question.

2018-01-15 11:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'd like to join the group again if you don't mind.

Name - George Z. 

Story - Life Long couch potato.  Adult onset almost athlete.  Started swimming in 2012/ Running and cycling in 2011 all at the age of 61.  I made the mistake of watching Ironman Canada in 2010 and got inspired thinking, "I can do that." and in 2012 I ran my first two sprints.

Family Status - Married to my favourite Sherpa 26 years with 3 daughters and one son.  All more active than I ever was but only one triathlete.  Plus an assortment of grandkids (7#) and great grandkids (2#).

Current Training - About 4.5 hours per week.  I trained hard all last year building up to a long course race (2/3rds of an IM distance) and then really lost my mojo and I'm still trying to get it back.  Even without my mojo I managed to run two half marathons in October and November 2017 and enjoyed them both very much.  I've done over 5 HIM and an assortment of Oly's, sprints, Granfondo's and long swims.  I've finished with a few podiums and more than my share of last place finishes.  This year my race age is 68.

2018 Goal - I'm still struggling to get inspired again and I am just barely swimming and cycling while I've been unable to run at all since my last half marathon in November.  I am planning to run on Wednesday and I need to workout at least 8 hours per week.  My 2018 main goal for the bike will be to STAY ON(!).  I lost count on how many falls I had in 2017.  There were 5 for sure with one fairly serious.  Road rash literally in the same place every time.

Planned Races - So far I've registered for the Cherry Blossom Sprint in May with a goal of doing the run in 30 minutes.  I will also register for our local Granfondo but only a 92 Km distance not my usual 126 km distance.  Beyond that I have no desire to do anything else but even that I'm having trouble with as well. A group of friends have signed up for IM Arizona this year and Challenge Roth next year.  I'd love to go with them but it is not likely to happen.

Weight Loss - I've been fighting not to gain weight through the last two months but it is quite a hard fight as I'm training at about half  my usual intensity and time.

As a mentee I have the occasional good suggestions and I do like to encourage others.

Scott - Thanks for the heads up on the group.  I've been lurking but fully intending to join the group again.  I think I need the inspiration to get me going again.  I sort of feel it in spurts interspersed with bouts of apathy.

Steve - Good to see you're back again.

Edited by wenceslasz 2018-01-15 11:56 PM
2018-01-16 4:57 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Name - George Z. 

Story - Life Long couch potato.  Adult onset almost athlete.  Started swimming in 2012/ Running and cycling in 2011 all at the age of 61.  I made the mistake of watching Ironman Canada in 2010 and got inspired thinking, "I can do that." and in 2012 I ran my first two sprints.

Family Status - Married to my favourite Sherpa 26 years with 3 daughters and one son.  All more active than I ever was but only one triathlete.  Plus an assortment of grandkids (7#) and great grandkids (2#).

Current Training - About 4.5 hours per week.  I trained hard all last year building up to a long course race (2/3rds of an IM distance) and then really lost my mojo and I'm still trying to get it back.  Even without my mojo I managed to run two half marathons in October and November 2017 and enjoyed them both very much.  I've done over 5 HIM and an assortment of Oly's, sprints, Granfondo's and long swims.  I've finished with a few podiums and more than my share of last place finishes.  This year my race age is 68.

2018 Goal - I'm still struggling to get inspired again and I am just barely swimming and cycling while I've been unable to run at all since my last half marathon in November.  I am planning to run on Wednesday and I need to workout at least 8 hours per week.  My 2018 main goal for the bike will be to STAY ON(!).  I lost count on how many falls I had in 2017.  There were 5 for sure with one fairly serious.  Road rash literally in the same place every time.

Planned Races - So far I've registered for the Cherry Blossom Sprint in May with a goal of doing the run in 30 minutes.  I will also register for our local Granfondo but only a 92 Km distance not my usual 126 km distance.  Beyond that I have no desire to do anything else but even that I'm having trouble with as well. A group of friends have signed up for IM Arizona this year and Challenge Roth next year.  I'd love to go with them but it is not likely to happen.

Weight Loss - I've been fighting not to gain weight through the last two months but it is quite a hard fight as I'm training at about half  my usual intensity and time.

As a mentee I have the occasional good suggestions and I do like to encourage others.

Scott - Thanks for the heads up on the group.  I've been lurking but fully intending to join the group again.  I think I need the inspiration to get me going again.  I sort of feel it in spurts interspersed with bouts of apathy.

George!

Welcome back!  It just wouldn't be the same if you weren't here.

One step at a time, one workout at a time, one day at a time - in no time at all you'll have your mojo back in full force!

2018-01-16 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Onurleft20

I have an athlete I've been working with for a while that also spends an immense amount of time on recovery activity.  I'm continually amazed how much peripheral time she puts in - foam rolling, pre-stretching, post-stretching, icing, ice-baths, PT exercises, the list goes on and on.  A one-hour workout takes nearly three hours by the time everything else is added in

All that highlights one of the biggest changes as we get older - recovery time increases.  Back when I was in high school I could swim a couple hours in the morning, run an hour after school, strength train before afternoon swim workout, then get in the pool for a few more hours, never mind I could eat dirt while I was doing all that.  Then I could bounce back and do it all again the next day.  Now, not so much.  Whether it's an injury, or a hard workout, recovery just takes longer.  That's the problem with vast majority of the pre-written training plans available today - they don't reflect the recovery needs of the maturing athlete.  You can use those plans, but you will likely need to build in additional recovery time to stay healthy.

LOL, I need a nap now!

Recovery - yeah, I think that's a big part of why I get all the little niggling injuries and soreness, I just don't do it enough.  My doctor has given me exercises to do for my knee and hip but do I do them?  Not very often, so I'm not really getting over my issues.  You'd think that would motivate me to do them, and I do tell myself "foam roll, stretch,etc after this workout" but it rarely gets done.  I'm usually just glad to get through the workout and don't want to do anything else.  Maybe if I make it part of the workout with no break in between instead of another step, I'll do it more often.   

Janet

2018-01-16 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Late last night, right after I posted my "Bio" here, I received an email directing me to the Triathlon documentary, "The Last Mile." which features myself and 3 other athletes racing last August.  I was shocked at how I actually looked as I finished the run compared to how I felt.  At the finish line my coach shocked me by hugging me most heartily and Two fellows I trained with all year long were also right beside me.  

So please watch the video if you feel like it (there won't be a test):

It is just over an hour long and it is actually pretty good.  It is entertaining, inspiring and a pretty good look at our local area.
During the race a young Team USA athlete helped me run for over a kilometre before she finished her race and I went on to run my last 10km.  I would have loved to see her in the video and I'd like to thank her.

I was shocked at how "lost" I felt after the race was over.

2018-01-16 6:40 PM

, Indiana
Good Evening Everyone!!!!
Well I signed up for my first tri and I am looking at two more for this year. When I signed up I had to pay a one day membership to USA triathlon (I believe thats what I was doing). Since I am going to run in a couple more should I go ahead and join the organization?
2018-01-16 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by BakerBryan Good Evening Everyone!!!! Well I signed up for my first tri and I am looking at two more for this year. When I signed up I had to pay a one day membership to USA triathlon (I believe thats what I was doing). Since I am going to run in a couple more should I go ahead and join the organization?

Congrats on signing up!  I usually renew my membership yearly if I'm planning to run at least some USAT certified races.  If you do at least 3, the membership pretty much pays for itself ($15 each for 3 individual races versus $50 for the yearly membership).  There are some extra benefits to having the yearly membership - some discounts and such - and I know they're making some changes this year.  Not all races are USAT certified though so not all will require the one day membership - depends on the race management.  Here they're split about 50/50, so it's really a personal preference. 

Janet

2018-01-16 9:09 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Name - George Z. 

Hey George:

Thanks, it's good to be back. I'm probably in for a two year haul to regain my fitness, but that's OK.

Let me know if you plan on coming down for the ChelanMan Tri in July. It would be fun to link up.

Best,

Steve
2018-01-16 9:14 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Swim Coach
Scott:

I was back at my alma mater (Wash St. U.) a few weeks ago. I was at an alumni event and the women's swim coach was the speaker. I believe he was originally from the SoCal area. I was wondering if you ever crossed paths with him.His name is Tom Jager.

The guy was a fabulous speaker. He made me want to go get in the pool.

Steve

2018-01-16 11:04 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim Coach

Originally posted by lutzman

Scott:

I was back at my alma mater (Wash St. U.) a few weeks ago. I was at an alumni event and the women's swim coach was the speaker. I believe he was originally from the SoCal area. I was wondering if you ever crossed paths with him.His name is Tom Jager.

The guy was a fabulous speaker. He made me want to go get in the pool.

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes, I know who Tom is.  I'd met him once but we didn't really know each other.  He was indeed a Southern California boy as he attended and swam at UCLA.  I know that because my little sister was there at UCLA at the same time.  He was a couple Olympic cycles behind me.  He swam in the ;88 games and won several medals, and if memory serves he also won a couple more medals at the '92 games.  I do remember he held the 50 m freestyle World Record a couple different times.  He was a very good sprinter and I heard he went on to a coaching career which is apparently the case.

So . . . did you actually get in a pool, or is that moment past? 

2018-01-17 12:23 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Late last night, right after I posted my "Bio" here, I received an email directing me to the Triathlon documentary, "The Last Mile." which features myself and 3 other athletes racing last August.  I was shocked at how I actually looked as I finished the run compared to how I felt.  At the finish line my coach shocked me by hugging me most heartily and Two fellows I trained with all year long were also right beside me.  

So please watch the video if you feel like it (there won't be a test):

It is just over an hour long and it is actually pretty good.  It is entertaining, inspiring and a pretty good look at our local area.
During the race a young Team USA athlete helped me run for over a kilometre before she finished her race and I went on to run my last 10km.  I would have loved to see her in the video and I'd like to thank her.

I was shocked at how "lost" I felt after the race was over.

Hi George, great, I was hoping to be able to watch it when you mentionned it last year! Thanks for the link, it will keep ke company on my next treadmill or stationary bike session.

2018-01-17 12:33 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hello everyone! Thanks Scott for the text about training phases. So, where am I?

Well, this winter is a run focused winter, as I it’s my weakest sport at the moment. It had started well, with 4 runs a week (or run walk) but I hurt my calve at the beginning of December, followed by a couple of weeks of the flu (which forced me to rest my calve, that was good).

Calve is better, although not 100% yet, so I do a lot of run/walk. Went for my first non stop 5k at the weekend.

Not sure where to go from here. First race is mid-may (a duathlon)

First thought I have is what distance is your duathlon?

I'm going to suggest a VERY controversial alternative for your running - at least short term.  It's called "The Maffetone Method."  One of the components of the Maffetone Method involves running well below your aerobic threshold.  Quite a lot of people take issue with the method because Dr. Maffetone suggests a formula to determine your optimal 'Maximum Aerobic Function" (MAF) heart-rate.  My response to those people is they probably don't fully understand how the plan works and what it is trying to accomplish.  At any rate, the HR target will be relatively low - often a Z1 HR - which results in VERY slow running.  It isn't uncommon for people new to the plan to frequently need to walk in an effort to keep their HR within the target range.  Here's the thing though, by diligently following the plan over a series of weeks, you will begin to be able to do more work at the same HR as you train your body to better utilize fat for fuel - you will be running faster at the same HR.  The added "side benefit" of the plan is, because of the slow pace, you are dramatically reducing the pounding on your joints and muscles - which drastically reduces the injury potential.  I've had a number of athletes utilize this plan.  One in particular comes to mind - a maturing athlete in their late 60's.  This athlete, after just a couple of weeks, said, "I just realized, I don't have any aches and pains for the first time in years."  That athlete also enjoyed over a 30-second/mile improvement in Z2 running pace over 3-months.  That isn't to say you would enjoy the same result, however there are many reports of similar success.  In any case, the Maffetone Method is a very good way to begin running after an injury do to the reduced stress on the body.

Here are links to more information on the Maffetone Method -

The formula - https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

The MAF test (to establish a baseline) - https://philmaffetone.com/maf-gps-test/

Maffetone Method Overview - https://philmaffetone.com/method/

Finally, where to go from here?  That depends upon whether you intend to only do duathlons or are also going to continue doing triathlons.  If you are going to continue with triathlons, you can use a triathlon training plan while you are preparing for your duathlon.    Maybe drop one of the swims each week as you build towards your duathlon. One thing that is often overlooked when preparing for a duathlon is in addition to bike/run bricks, you should also do run/bike bricks as you will be transitioning both ways.

Thanks for the info/tip, I will check the links and look into it. I must admit, I do like the idea (I don’t much enjoy being out of breath )
Not sure what distance I’ll choose for my duathlon, there is both sprint and oly distance. Most likely the sprint. Or the oly as a team (which means I’d only do the bike, a oneathlon then )

Yes, I do intend to do tris, it’s just that my regular local race in May is not happening this year and the only other race in May within a 150 mile radius (the limit I set for traveling to races) is a duathlon.

I am planning about 4 sprints this season
2018-01-17 12:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Scott ... hope all are well and I guess it's time to get back in gear.  I've begun some training over the last couple of weeks, but it's time to get structured and down to business. 

Name - Dorm, racing age for 2018 is 61.

Story - Historically, I didn't start any kind of training before I turned 54.  Except for woodworking, golf and snow skiing, I was pretty much a couch potato.  I retired from a paying job on Jan1, 2015 and now seem busier than ever!

I started cycling during the fall of 2010 and decided to do my first tri in March of 2011. I still remember the inspiration to start doing triathlons, even though this was many years ago.  I was cycling with 2 of my sons-in-law (SIL) in 2010 and we had stopped to allow people to run across the road.  These were running across the road, after swimming across the ocean sound in Wrightsville Beach, NC.  One very fit, white haired woman had a huge smile on her face and as she ran in front of me, she looked me right in the eye and her look said," I'm doing this and you're not ... why not!" I asked one SIL what's going on here - what is this, and he said some sort of race - but didn't really know what is was.  I later realized this was a triathlon in Wrightsville Beach and after looking at ages, speeds, sizes and results felt I could definitely participate.  I'd never be podium material, but I could still do it.

2018 will be my 7th season of Triathlons; perhaps one Granfondo and general training. Cycling is my strongest discipline of the 3 sports.  My cycling seems to have gotten slower each year, but I've also increased my distance quite a bit from when I was faster.  So this seems a bit of a trade-off.  Running - I simply hate running, but thru this group last year, found that the more, longer and further I run at a slower pace - the better (easier) it is for me.  I don't run quite at the Maffetone level, but not far from it either.  I've found the slower pace to be much easier on my joints and I can get in a good distance (for me) with much less pain and joint soreness than with running at a hard pace.

Family - A very good supportive wife.  We have 3 grown/married daughters and 6 grand kids.  I've competed along with my 3 daughters and two SILs in several triathlons and duathlons over the past few years. Also 2 SIL's cycle and are great fun to ride with ... one is a brutal coach as well.

Current training schedule involves ~3 ... 1hr to 1-1/2 hr sessions per week.  I usually go skiing a few weeks during late Jan - early Feb and so aside from spin,run,swim - I'll also work in some strength training for the ski trip ... mainly leg work. 

Cycling training is done while following plans ones on here had used over the years.  One SIL trains using ZWIFT, and I am intrigued at some of the workouts posted on there and feel I may give ZWIFT a try.  

2018 Races: - Tentatively: Azalea Sprint, 3-Little Pigs Sprint and the Mountains of Misery Grand Fondo.

Weightloss - @#$%***, Ones returning from last year have read my whining about this subject.  My efforts this year will continue on this impossible journey.  I've had some good results of late, mainly thru a hi-protein, no dairy, bread, legumes, etc.  I'd be really excited to drop 25lbs prior to first race and hold throughout the year.

I'm looking forward to meeting new ones with group and hopefully ones returning from last year as well.

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2018-01-17 12:22 PM
2018-01-17 1:03 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

, Indiana
Alright, so today I got my new wetsuit in the mail and I was super excited. So I raced upstairs to try it on. A couple of things I noticed. One, I was wore out after putting it on and taking it off I felt like I should log it in as my workout for today. lol Secondly I look like one of those giant fat seals that you see on the rocks lol The good thing is that it fits and will probably fit even better after I lose a few more pounds. As my first tri approaches I know I will have some questions dealing with the wetsuit alone.

2018-01-17 2:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57

Name - Dorm, racing age for 2018 is 61.

Weightloss - @#$%***, Ones returning from last year have read my whining about this subject.  My efforts this year will continue on this impossible journey.  I've had some good results of late, mainly thru a hi-protein, no dairy, bread, legumes, etc.  I'd be really excited to drop 25lbs prior to first race and hold throughout the year.

I'm looking forward to meeting new ones with group and hopefully ones returning from last year as well.

Ciao ... Dorm

Hey Dorm!

Welcome back!  Glad you are joining us again for another season.

There are a number of people that have echo'd your sentiments about weight loss . . . or did you echo theirs?  In any case, I think we are going to get a weight loss challenge going in the next week or so - we still have new people drifting in so we'll give it a few more days.

Looking forward to your insights again this year.

2018-01-17 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Dorm - Glad to see you're back.

I find my cycling is definitely in a downhill slide each year but on the bright side  my swimming and running have been improving.  I'm still slow but not quite as bad as I was.

I find I can swim or bike all I want and not lose a pound but when I run I lose weight.

2018-01-17 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Bryan - My wife assures me that no one looks good in a wetsuit.  I know mine adds 30 lbs to my waist.  And, I had trouble getting on my first wetsuit as well.  I had my wife and a sales lady in tears laughing at me struggling to put on my wetsuit like a very tight girdle.  But, very quickly I got better at it and lost a few inches (not pounds) so now I can put it on a lot quicker.

Some basic wetsuit rules:

Keep your fingernails trimmed short and when you pull the wetsuit up pull it from the inside material.

Putting on the wetsuit make sure you pull it up really high - until you're singing soprano high.  If it is not high enough it will strain your shoulders and tire you out more quickly.

Some people need body glide to apply to areas that are prone to chafing.  I've been lucky not to have any issues but I know some people have a lot of trouble with it.

Some people find that using gloves to pull the wetsuit on with can help and others put plastic bags over their feet to pull the wetsuit onto their legs and then put them on their hands.  I needed them for the first time I put on my wetsuit but I've never needed them since then and I've worn my suit for 6 years (about 180 outdoor swims so far and I expect to get a couple more years out of it).

Hopefully you have a friend or a few that you can swim in open water with.  I love swimming out into the middle of a lake then just stopping to look around for a few moments (although one time I had 3 vultures circling around me when I stopped in the middle of a lake).

2018-01-17 3:25 PM

, Indiana
Thanks George! Im a few months out of my first tri so I will continue to work on losing a few more pounds before trying it on again.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 9413 Posts: 78

2018-08-28 12:53 PM riles32807

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 942 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by Baowolf