Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
Show Per page

of 13

2018-02-18 7:21 PM
in reply to: #5231907

, Indiana
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN
Sorry so quick but been busy.
-.5 pounds
60 min run
1:30 bike.
Been enjoying the beautiful weather in Daytona. Back to the grind on Tuesday.

2018-02-18 9:38 PM
in reply to: BakerBryan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

We've cooled off quite a bit today and for the next few days so I'm planning to run on the treadmill this week.

Steve - I have a sprint coming up in 11 weeks from today and I have been a slow runner for a long time - more of a walker - but when I run on a track I can run intervals at just a bit over 6:00/ km.  My goal for the sprint is 30 minutes or less.  I haven't been running consistently over the last few weeks but I'm planning to get myself going PDQ.  Any suggestions for increasing my pace off the track?  I was running on the track 3 times per week before Christmas and actually enjoying it.

I also ran two HM last October and November and I want to do them again this year.  I ran the Oct. HM just under 7:00/km.

Weight Loss Challenge:

Lost 1.7 lbs,

Swam 110.6 min/ Biked 253.4 min = 364 minutes.

2018-02-18 10:32 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Upside down psychology when you don't want to work out

Thanks for the swim advice Scott,  I'm looking forward to trying this all out tomorrow.

2018-02-18 11:55 PM

Hey all,

Weight loss: +2 (I'm sure it's all muscle).
Swam 500 meters, plus a little water walking.

11,147 steps today!

Steph
2018-02-19 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Indianapolis, Indiana
Subject: RE: Weight-loss/Workout Challenge Weigh-In Day

Weight Loss -

Workout Minutes -

Swim - 472

Bike - 243

Run - 137

Total - 852

2018-02-19 8:55 AM

User image

New user

up 1 pound to 150

Ran: 85 min
strength 123 min
Bike: 35 min

This is going to be a rough week, I'll be travelling and in a lot of meetings. I'll see what I can get done in the hotel fitness center.
I dont know how much I'll chat here either, so everyone have a great week.

2018-02-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: Onurleft20

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Somewhat as expected, my weight went the wrong direction this week. It was a slightly lighter workout week for me last week so that didn't help. I'll now try to get my head on straight for four solid weeks leading into a one week taper week and then a race.

My wife and I drove over the mountain passes to Seattle on Saturday afternoon to see the musical "Hamilton." It was fantastic. Highly recommend it if the tour comes to a city near you.

Weight: 178.0 a gain of a half pound.

Workout:

Swim 2:07
Bike: 2:25
Run: 3:25

Have a good week everyone.

Steve

2018-02-19 11:05 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Missouri

no weight change for me
workouts:
swim - 0:45 (estimate of time actually spent swimming during the swim camp)
bike - 1:20
run/walk - 1:46

Kind of an easy week for me although I did get out twice for a run and made it back to the pool.

Speaking of the pool - I went to a short swim camp yesterday.  The nice thing was that there were only 6 of us there so we had a lot of one-on-one instruction.  It was run by a local university's swim and dive coach and she had several of her swimmers there to help out.  We did a short warm-up and then she had us do a bunch of kick sets - streamline kicks and side kicks.  Then she showed us how that rotation applies to our stroke.  Scott - it was very similar to the drills you had me doing last summer.  In fact, she said she could tell that I had been working with someone who was a swimmer.  After that we did some laps of SPL to work on lengthening our stroke.  Mine was 12 per 25 yards - they said that was pretty good.  Then they did the videos - both above water and underwater.  She gave me 2 things to work on - keeping my fingers together during my stroke (I tend to spread them out) and "widening" my stroke.  I don't cross over but I keep things kind of tight.  There's another session next month that I might go to also.  She said for the returning students she would show us ways to build on what we learned this time.  I'd like to go back just to have the video done again so I can see if/how well I'm able to put her suggestions into practice.  I'll be trying things out tomorrow morning as long as the weather cooperates.  Thunderstorms today that may last into tomorrow morning in which case the pool will be closed.   

Janet

2018-02-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by wenceslasz

We've cooled off quite a bit today and for the next few days so I'm planning to run on the treadmill this week.

Steve - I have a sprint coming up in 11 weeks from today and I have been a slow runner for a long time - more of a walker - but when I run on a track I can run intervals at just a bit over 6:00/ km.  My goal for the sprint is 30 minutes or less.  I haven't been running consistently over the last few weeks but I'm planning to get myself going PDQ.  Any suggestions for increasing my pace off the track?  I was running on the track 3 times per week before Christmas and actually enjoying it.

I also ran two HM last October and November and I want to do them again this year.  I ran the Oct. HM just under 7:00/km.

Weight Loss Challenge:

Lost 1.7 lbs,

Swam 110.6 min/ Biked 253.4 min = 364 minutes.

Hey George:

A few thoughts on intervals...

I have a love/hate relationship with intervals. I love them because they are an important component to getting faster. I hate them because it's a very challenging workout with a high potential for injury.

For me, I really don't do interval or speed work more than once a week. In addition to a speed workout, I usually have one run day focused on a tempo run that is close to race pace with the remaining run days in HR zone 2 as fitness runs.

If I'm not at the track on a "speed" day, I'll just run Fartlek pickups...usually 1/4 mile to one half mile in distance (training for sprint or Oly) or up to a mile if I'm working on HIM. If I have distance markers, I can dial in the pace/time. If not, I'll go by feel and maintain the faster pace run for 2-4 minutes to get the approximate distance. If I'm at the track, I can really dial in on pace and work on running every interval at the exact pace...usually 400 or 800 meter repeats, but the variations are endless.

At our advancing gray guy age, we have to be extremely careful on the track. Running intervals is very stressful. You're pushing off harder, working the arms harder, more aggressive foot strike, running corners in the same direction, all which stress your legs differently than on the road...just a lot of ways to tweak a muscle or tendon. So be careful.

Scott talks a lot about "maintaining form" in the pool. Same is true on intervals. It is critical to maintain form by NOT over-achieving trying to set the interval pace too fast. You'll know you've over-extended if your pace starts breakdown and you cannot maintain planned interval speed. You want comfortably hard with the objective of running your last interval as the same pace as the first...feeling strong (not exhausted) when done.

The key is the rest period, to make sure you're fully recovered prior to starting the next interval. Generally speaking, you'll want to see your HR fall back to full recovery, which for me at age 63 is in the 110-115 range. If I don't have my HR strap on I'll just generalize that my recovery period will be about the same duration as the actual faster paced run interval.

Hill repeats are a great way to build fitness. I've got a couple of reasonably steep hills in my neighborhood. Multiple, steady repeats (not trying to go too fast) up and down these hills provide the cardio benefit of intervals without the pounding and stress of the track.

Personally, I wouldn't jump into true interval track training until you've re-established your base running fitness and identified your lactate threshold. You'll need several weeks/months of solid, consistent running under your belt. At that point you can do a test run to identify your lactate threshold and create an interval workout paces that are truly matched to your fitness and age.

You can read more about running a lactate threshold test here: https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-settin...

All of that said, a pace of 6:00/KM is very close to what you'll need to hit 30 minutes on the 5k race. That breaks down to a race pace of 9:39 a mile, a 400 meter pace of about 2:24. To run at any goal pace, you have to train yourself to be comfortable running above that pace for shorter intervals. Assuming you have the base fitness to train at this pace, I would be looking at running intervals just slightly faster than the 2:24 goal....maybe in the 2:15-2:20 range per lap.

Working off these numbers, a very simple interval workout would be something like a 10-15 minute easy warm up, 8 X 400 at a 2:20 pace, each with full walking or very light jog recovery to get your HR down, 10 minute cool down. That's probably totals around 4 miles of total running including the warm up and cool down, so the distance shouldn't be particularly taxing. But, the goal would be to have strong, consistent intervals that are slightly faster than goal pace. Another alternative would be to run 12 X 200 are a few seconds faster than 1/2 the 400 pace.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Steve

2018-02-19 1:22 PM

Today's workout:
Ran/walked on the treadmill 30 mins (12 min total running)
Lat machine, some time on the stepper

I'm starting some supplements. They purport to be "steroid-like," but not steroids. My sports med dr gave me the ok on them. I took a course once before but wasted it by not working out regularly. They definitely boost my energy and help my strength, so I can get in better workouts with less fatigue and soreness. I'm looking forward to seeing how well they work with a regular workout regimen.

Happy Monday!!!
New Thread
Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete - Always OPEN Rss Feed  
Show Per page

of 13

RELATED POSTS

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN Pages: 1 2

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 842 Posts: 40

2018-02-19 11:20 AM SrhJarvis

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 32 Posts: 2

2018-01-11 5:23 AM Suurealz

Baowolf's Life Balance Group.. (OPEN!) Pages: 1 2