Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2017-12-07 10:53 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Flynn

Originally posted by Oysterboy So I took a look into this age issue, I'm sorta into macroeconomics although I undoubtedly know less than I should and may be dangerously uninformed. Nevertheless, the Bureau of Labor Statistics has broken down labor force participation by age (2016 data): https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat03.htmWhat is pretty clear is that participation drops pretty precipitously in the 60-64 demographic compared to the 55-59 demographic. Participation is >80% amongst the "working age" population (25-60). Impossible to get that % much higher as there will always be people between jobs, going to school, work at home moms/dads, people on "disability", etc. I'm not saying the tax cuts can't drive a bit more GDP growth but I think that characterization that they will function as "rocket fuel" (Trump's words) is a gross mischaracterization. You can put rocket fuel into my Mom's 2005 Chevy Impala but it ain't gonna make it into a rocket. This is entirely consistent with the economic forecasting I have read, we are going to need a wave of immigration into the US to drive high GDP growth.

Thanks for looking that up.  I do agree that rocket fuel probably isn't the right descriptor because even if it does provide a huge boost to the economy and increase jobs it will be a long slow process as the workforce gradually shifts.  I do suspect wages will jump up in the interim though because people will be force dot pay more to get/keep good talent if the market is clamoring for people.

2017-12-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Flynn

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's all over the place, but 18-25 is in the wheelhouse.  I don't see much difference between men and women.  One thing that does stand out is quite a few are people who have struggled with trying to get clean.  They may be off heroin a few times for months or so, and then they go back and end up with a "hot shot" that is hundreds or even thousands of times stronger than they are used to....same dose, but now mostly fentanyl.....recipe for instant death.  Another trend is that they come in waves.  If you get one you can count on dozens more in short order.  We don't even think the dealers know what they are selling and they get a hot batch and it just kills people.

I see the day coming where we have to regulate and dispense heroin to addicts......or this chit will kill every damn one of them.

We are now seeing carfentanyl.  This stuff is 10,000 times more potent than morphine.....think about that for a minute. You can get overdosed just by touching it and absorbing  through your skin.  We treat overdose deaths, and drug search warrants, like a hazmat scene.  It's horrible.

Here's another thing.....especially for you parents.  If your kids have surgery, take the pain medicine away from them if it's prescribed.  Just don't let them have it.  If I had to make a guess, and it's a pretty damn educated one, I'd say that upwards of 80% of new heroin addicts started with prescription drugs, and fully half of them got there by drugs that were prescribed for legitimate reasons......surgery, broken bones, wisdom teeth taken out, etc.  The other half got them from their parents medicine cabinets or their friends parents.  Once they find out how cheap and available heroin is, for the same feeling (initially), it's a short trip to full blown addiction. 

I've been doing my job for 30 years now, and I'm pretty hardened to almost everything.  This is devastating to watch.

That's crazy LB, I can't even imagine seeing that kind of devastation. 

I honestly don't know how I escaped the drugs through my childhood.  Maybe the "say no to drugs" campaign was just enough to educate me that they were bad.
I went to many parties as a teenager where everything was passed around like candy and always said no.  One of my best friends I hung out with was a drug dealer and would snort coke on his coffee table while I was at his house playing video games.  He always offered, but I always declined.

I never even tried weed, not once.  crazy.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Flynn Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Flynn won't comply with sobpoena Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 1377 Posts: 26

2020-04-30 11:39 AM Left Brain