Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: Ron Reply
2017-12-06 1:30 PM

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Silver member
Subject: BE the BALL Group - OPEN
GROUP FOCUS: First time triathletes, Triathletes looking to a longer distance, and weight loss.

NAME: billeckert/ Bill

STORY: Male - 52 years old - Live in Georgia.

I was on the swim team in high school. Not the best but could hold my own. Also loved to ride the bike. Never much of a runner until the Army. After the Army (1987), college, career, and family life took their toll and I became a couch potato. In Fall of 2010, I went on a rafting trip with high school friends. One friend was doing triathlons. I thought he was going to be super skinny but he wasn't. He looked the same as high school. Talked to him about it and decided I could do a sprint tri. Started training in 2010 for my first sprint race in April 2011. During my training, I joined a mentor group here and really gained a lot from it. Completed that race and a few other races that year. Fell off the fitness wagon in 2012-2014. Got going again in September 2014 and have not stopped since. There have been some ups and downs and some periods of time with injuries. I have completed many sprint races and olympic races, 3 HIM and completed IM Louisville in October 2017. Looking forward to training for the 2018 season with some consistency and trying to remain injury free.

FAMILY STATUS: Married. Two children, Son 24 and Daughter 12.

CURRENT TRAINING: Training varies throughout the year. Right now focused on building run consistency and mileage, building bike FTP and VO2, and weight loss/body composition.

PAST RACES:
2017 - Blalock Lakes Tri the Parks Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, IM Louisville
2016 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattanooga 70.3, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3, Tough Turkey Half Marathon
2015 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Chattahoochee Challenge Sprint, Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic, Augusta 70.3
2014 - No Races
2013 - Local 5K
2012 - Tough Mudder, John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint
2011 - John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint, Indian Springs Tri the Parks Sprint, My Own Olympic Race, Atlanta Half Marathon

2018 PLANNED RACES:
April - 70.3 Florida and John Tanner Tri the Parks Sprint
July - Richard Russell Tri the Parks Olympic
September - 70.3 Augusta

WEIGHTLOSS: Started in 2010 at 280. Been stuck at 230 for awhile now. Goal for 2018 is to really focus on body composition and get below 200.

2018 MAIN GOAL: Complete Augusta 70.3 in under 6 hours.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I joined a mentor group when I first started in 2010 and it helped me a lot. I have learned a lot since then and I am hoping to give some encouragement and help to people new to the sport or looking to do a longer distance this year.

Edited by billeckert 2018-01-09 6:59 PM

2018-01-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: billeckert

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: BE the BALL Group - OPEN

Hi Bill,

I'd like to join. I'm in Georgia too so we might be a good fit or could even end up at a race or two together.

I basically took all of 2017 off from competition except for one local 5k. 2016 wasn't much better with 1 olympic, a couple of local 5k's and I did compete in MiamiMan 70.3 Aquabike where my brother and I both qualified for the world team. He ended up going to Penticton, I did not as I just couldn't justify the cost and time away from family. He has no children, I have 2, ages 9 and 13.

My training during the last 2 years has been sporadic at best with some good volume put in at times on the swim and run but next to nothing on the bike in 2017.

For 2018 the schedule is not yet set. I would like to try a few new challenges like a swim/run or even try my hand at an ultra or two (something like a 50k or even a 24 hour race). Probably an olympic tri  thrown in in May and maybe another I have my eye on in late June. A late season 70.3 is possible.

-Chris

2018-01-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #5232131

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Silver member
Hi Chris,

Would love to have you. I will post something tomorrow for those that join the group to fill out. Looking forward to working together.

Bill
2018-01-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Silver member
For those of you that would like to join, please fill in the following so that the group can get an idea of who you are and what your goals are for this year.

NAME: Your username / first name

STORY: A short paragraph of who you are, why you triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Family situation (single/married/family)

CURRENT TRAINING: How you train in general (what race distances in 2013 or any races so far in 2014, technical or not)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Just a little summary of what you have recently done.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: If your season is ready, list your races, if not, your training goals.

WEIGHTLOSS: And any weightloss goals that you have (or the weight lost so far as a triathlete).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: A brief summary on what you hope to gain from the group and how you think you will be a good group member for the next 3 months.

Edited by billeckert 2018-01-13 3:10 PM
2018-01-13 3:09 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Silver member
Originally posted by Dominion

Hi Bill,

I'd like to join. I'm in Georgia too so we might be a good fit or could even end up at a race or two together.

I basically took all of 2017 off from competition except for one local 5k. 2016 wasn't much better with 1 olympic, a couple of local 5k's and I did compete in MiamiMan 70.3 Aquabike where my brother and I both qualified for the world team. He ended up going to Penticton, I did not as I just couldn't justify the cost and time away from family. He has no children, I have 2, ages 9 and 13.

My training during the last 2 years has been sporadic at best with some good volume put in at times on the swim and run but next to nothing on the bike in 2017.

For 2018 the schedule is not yet set. I would like to try a few new challenges like a swim/run or even try my hand at an ultra or two (something like a 50k or even a 24 hour race). Probably an olympic tri  thrown in in May and maybe another I have my eye on in late June. A late season 70.3 is possible.

-Chris

Chris,

I posted the outline of a little bio to fill out. Don't stress too much over it. Just a little info to help all of us get to know each other a little better.

Love that you are looking to get back into some races this year. There is nothing wrong with spending time with those kiddos. They are only that age one time. It is sometimes tough to balance all of the training with family, work, and all of the stuff that life seems to give us. I do my best but sometimes it gets a little crazy finding the times to train. I think that is one of the things that these groups are good for is helping each other to stay motivated and consistent with our training.

Don't worry too much about your races and going to big this year. Enjoy it and do what you can do and still keep it in perspective.

Again, looking forward to working together.

Bill E.
"Consistency"
2018-01-13 9:12 PM
in reply to: billeckert

Hey guys! I'm Emily. I'm another Georgian, up here in Atlanta. I'm 31 years old.

STORY: I got into triathlons last year, so I'm just a beginner. I did two sprints last year in North Carolina. Growing up I was never into sports. I was quite obese and lazy. So for my 30th birthday I signed up for a triathlon. I've always been a swimmer, dabbled in running 5k's, and an avid cyclist with my boyfriend and his family. The reason I enjoy tri's so much is because I get to change things up. I don't like biking for a long time, and I don't like running for a long time, so I don't think any HIM or IM are in my future, haha.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my boyfriend, two dogs, and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done anything since Thanksgiving, but I'm ready to jump back in. I don't really know what I'm doing. Last year I just did the couch to 5k program, I would cycle with my boyfriend, and just swim in the pool. Towards the end of the year I did some HIT workouts and really saw my times improve greatley, so I will be continuing that this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did a Rambling Rose tri, and a You Go Girl Tri. Both sprints.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm signed up for the sprint Chattanooga Waterfront at the end of June. I'm really excited, but equally terrified of OWS and jumping into the river. I'm looking into a few more, as well as some 5k's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I lost 80 pounds! I've gained back about 5 over Christmas and now my birthday, but those will come off as soon as I get serious about nutrition. I really want to get the extra 20 off to say I lost 100 pounds, but I want to lose probably another 60 pounds. I will probably always be an Athena triathlete, but I'm ok with that.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will make a good mentee because I'll be absorbing the information like a sponge. I can read article after article, but nothing is going to compare to others personal experience and guidance.

2018-01-15 6:19 PM
in reply to: emsley05

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Silver member
Originally posted by emsley05

Hey guys! I'm Emily. I'm another Georgian, up here in Atlanta. I'm 31 years old.

STORY: I got into triathlons last year, so I'm just a beginner. I did two sprints last year in North Carolina. Growing up I was never into sports. I was quite obese and lazy. So for my 30th birthday I signed up for a triathlon. I've always been a swimmer, dabbled in running 5k's, and an avid cyclist with my boyfriend and his family. The reason I enjoy tri's so much is because I get to change things up. I don't like biking for a long time, and I don't like running for a long time, so I don't think any HIM or IM are in my future, haha.

FAMILY STATUS: I live with my boyfriend, two dogs, and two cats.

CURRENT TRAINING: I haven't done anything since Thanksgiving, but I'm ready to jump back in. I don't really know what I'm doing. Last year I just did the couch to 5k program, I would cycle with my boyfriend, and just swim in the pool. Towards the end of the year I did some HIT workouts and really saw my times improve greatley, so I will be continuing that this year.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Last year I did a Rambling Rose tri, and a You Go Girl Tri. Both sprints.

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES: I'm signed up for the sprint Chattanooga Waterfront at the end of June. I'm really excited, but equally terrified of OWS and jumping into the river. I'm looking into a few more, as well as some 5k's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Last year I lost 80 pounds! I've gained back about 5 over Christmas and now my birthday, but those will come off as soon as I get serious about nutrition. I really want to get the extra 20 off to say I lost 100 pounds, but I want to lose probably another 60 pounds. I will probably always be an Athena triathlete, but I'm ok with that.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will make a good mentee because I'll be absorbing the information like a sponge. I can read article after article, but nothing is going to compare to others personal experience and guidance.

Hey Emily,

Welcome to the group. You have a great story. Congratulations on the weight loss and how you did over Christmas. Nothing wrong with where you are at and looking to continue to improve. I have always been a clydesdale but this year I am working on moving out of that category. I have about 40 pounds to be at my goal weight for my race in September.

OWS is definitely something to be respected. If you can find a place to practice you should definitely do it. Always do it with a group though. My first open water swim was in a lake in a sprint tri and I definitely would not recommend that. We can talk more about OWS as the group forms.

No worries on the HIM and IM. They are their own animal. I said when I started that I would never do a HIM. Then when I did one I said I'd never do another much less an IM. They are a lot of work and take a lot of time to train for. You definitely have to have all of you family agreeing with you and supporting you. I say do what you are comfortable with and can keep yourself active with.

For your current training I would suggest finding a plan on here that you are comfortable with and just get started. You have plenty of time until June but you don't want to waste this time right now as it is a great time to develop some good base fitness. You can always start another plan or restart the one you are doing as you get closer to the race. If you have any questions about things let the group know and I am sure that we will give some feedback. Make sure you log those workouts on here so that the group can give you support and encoragement.

I will post more information about the group once we get a few more people. Looking forward to working with you.

Bill E.
"Consistency"
New Thread
Other Resources 2018 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » BE the BALL Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Maturing Triathlete Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 1101 Posts: 106

2018-01-17 7:55 PM lutzman

My Year to Tri (Beginner and Intermediate Group) - OPEN

Started by SrhJarvis
Views: 196 Posts: 17

2018-01-17 8:14 PM SrhJarvis

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 29 Posts: 2