General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beijing China Cough Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-13 11:57 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Beijing China Cough
Not sure if this belongs in the "Cup of Joe," but it is about training....

Just got back from a week and half of Shanghai work and some really bad pollution. Been throughout China on several occasions but THIS time, seems I developed a respiratory infection... AKA, the "Beijing Cough." I don't care to see a doctor. That being said, and based on your experience of Chinese fine quality air, and me being as dumb as a I am, any thoughts on how long I should wait before re-starting training for a March half marathon? E.g., wait for cough to subside.... etc.

As ALWAYS, thoughts/comments greatly appreciated.

2017-12-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: Porfirio

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Beijing China Cough

I'd suggest seeing a doctor anyhow.  #1, you want to make sure you didn't catch something that's contagious, #2, you might have some kind of allergic reaction, and #3, he can probably give you something to relieve the symptoms until you heal up.

2017-12-13 4:03 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

DC
Thanks.
2017-12-13 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Spent ten years coughing in Beijing---go to a doctor. China test-drives a lot of the new flu and other viruses each winter, and with the dense population crammed indoors and on crowded transport, it's easy to pick up bacterial infections on top of viruses. You might need antibiotics and/or an inhaler. Then wait until you feel better doing normal daily activities. Not absolutely necessary that there be no more coughing (sometimes illness plus pollution plus cold, dry air can make your airways so irritated that a dry hack can linger for months), but you should no longer be wheezing, or coughing up phlegm, or (gross but true) black stuff. Let the coal dust clear your system.
2017-12-14 5:41 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

DC
Interesting. Thanks.
2017-12-14 3:10 PM

User image

I’m a little north of you in Philadelphia area. Theee was a bad cough going around here for a few weeks. I had it and lasted a good two weeks. Real hard almost dry cough that hurt. Some went to docs and got meds. I rode it out which sucked. Next time I’m gettimg a script!

2017-12-19 3:10 AM

User image

I'm in Taipei and we get some bad pollution from China during the winter (think cold fronts from Canada in the US during the winter). My experience has been that any bad feelings, coughs, etc. disappear as soon as the pollution is gone. So I think it's possible you might have caught something.

I often check the pollution during the winter and do my swims if we get a bad day. I check things here (get on the map and check things out in China and India- scary!).

http://aqicn.org/city/taiwan/songshan/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beijing China Cough Rss Feed