Other Resources The Political Joe » Science-based CDC forbidden from using the phrase science-based Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-16 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: Science-based CDC forbidden from using the phrase science-based

2017-12-16 7:42 AM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: Science-based CDC forbidden from using the phrase science-based

Because it's easier than burning books (I'm kidding but just barely).
2017-12-16 8:54 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I've seen a few posts on FB about this, but haven't really dug into it yet.  From what I can tell each administration passes down language to help keep things consistent and even in this article they mention that in stead of using the term "science-based" they recommended "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes" which is really the same thing but in a more descriptive way.

I suspect it's just another "we hate Trump and everything he does is Hitler" type reaction from the media.  A quick google shows Obama did similar stuff with his communications and most things were just more wordy or less abbreviated type stuff to make it more consistent and clear.

2017-12-17 8:11 AM

User image

Regular

I'm sure it something every administration has done (wordsmithing, essentially) and I am sure it can be found in a simple Google search. Frankly, I cant be bothered to look, as this is just another tempest in a teapot that the media and resistors cause because they hate Trump.
2017-12-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by tuwood

I've seen a few posts on FB about this, but haven't really dug into it yet.  From what I can tell each administration passes down language to help keep things consistent and even in this article they mention that in stead of using the term "science-based" they recommended "CDC bases its recommendations on science in consideration with community standards and wishes" which is really the same thing but in a more descriptive way.

I suspect it's just another "we hate Trump and everything he does is Hitler" type reaction from the media.  A quick google shows Obama did similar stuff with his communications and most things were just more wordy or less abbreviated type stuff to make it more consistent and clear.

Care to provide those links where Obama's administration banned words?

2017-12-17 7:08 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by tuwood

Care to provide those links where Obama's administration banned words?

Just did a quick search and this one popped up.  I saw the other day where there was a standard language document that every president puts out for phrases and such to keep it consistent.  I can't find it now but Obama's had a lot of grammar type stuff that was banned such as hyphenated words and chat speak type stuff.
Obama Bans Islam, Jihad From National Security Strategy Document

I also stumbled on the HHS response to the OP issue:

"The assertion that HHS has ‘banned words’ is a complete mischaracterization of discussions regarding the budget formulation process. HHS will continue to use the best scientific evidence available to improve the health of all Americans. HHS also strongly encourages the use of outcome and evidence data in program evaluations and budget decisions."

2017-12-18 11:47 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Little more about CDC response.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/cdc-director-says-there-are-no-banned-words-at-the-agency

I think this is the key paragraph:
"But in follow-up reporting, The New York Times cited “a few” CDC officials who suggested the move was not meant as an outright ban, but rather, a technique to help secure Republican approval of the 2019 budget by eliminating certain words and phrases. "

I know most of the media is trying to make this into a Trump is banning the CDC from using words, but it seems more like this is nothing more than the CDC pandering to the Republican majority during the budgeting process to not rile any feathers with their purse strings.

We can certainly talk about it being silly or not, but it seems to be a lot different than the way this has been portrayed because it's just about words used in the budget docs and has nothing to do with their research or the science they use and wasn't dictated by the administration.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Science-based CDC forbidden from using the phrase science-based Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 24, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
How to buy a used bike for triathlon