General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hot shots or pickle juice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2017-12-17 8:15 AM

Subject: hot shots or pickle juice
has anyone tried both hot shots and either pickle juice out of a jar or the shot kind they sell. if so which one works better. i used quite abit of shot shots last year, and although i think they lessened the severity of the cramp, they did not either prevent them or keep them away once they started. at the cost of hot shots im looking for a alternative. hence pickle juice. any thoughts

2017-12-17 9:45 AM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: hot shots or pickle juice
Not enough experience with either to say which is better but hot shots taste waaay better.
2017-12-17 8:47 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

I information that I saw on Hot Shots concluded that you would be just as good to take sugar water.  The studies backing pickle juice were a lot more convincing to me, but that isn't going to cure 100% of your cramps either. You need to get the right level of electrolytes and hydration and this varies from person to person so you have to do your own tests in practice and their may be some learning curve to get things right.  I would pass on the Hot Shots.  I don't think they will be anything for you.  Go ahead and try the pickle juice you probably have some in your refrigerator right now and it is available at aid stations at most races.  .

2017-12-18 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Cramps are typically a lack of fitness issue. If we can agree on that, we can then discuss what these products do, specifically, to reduce cramping (if anything).
2017-12-18 12:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
Doesn't look like you'll get a unanimous answer to your question...

I rely on HotShots and on the basis my usage routine, I can report some(not complete) relief of cramping symptoms. I don't have enough repetition with pickle juice to have a comparison, though... The key to HotShots is using the stuff before you need it, imho.

In re. cramping being brought on by lack of fitness; tough to reconcile cramping being a fitness related issue when it only seems to happen to me in hot weather, effort level being equal.

Edited by alltom1 2017-12-18 12:24 PM
2017-12-18 1:05 PM
in reply to: alltom1

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I've only cramped once in my life (Augusta 2016). It was 94 deg.

But, I over-biked for MY FITNESS LEVEL and under-hydrated. I didn't say what I did in the pejorative. I firmly believe the greatest culprit to people cramping is due to a specific lack of fitness.

Absolutely no malice intended towards anyone.

2017-12-18 1:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by nc452010 Cramps are typically a lack of fitness issue. If we can agree on that, we can then discuss what these products do, specifically, to reduce cramping (if anything).

Well...that is easy to say now...but when you have nailed all of your work outs for months leading into a race and are in the best shape of your life but start to cramp in a race all of that fitness talk doesn't do you a bit of good.  You have worked too hard to not finish the race so you have to find a way to work though it.  This means 1) relaxing and much as you can and not straining so that your muscles don't go into a spasms, 2) taking in more electrolytes than you had been (because let's face it you are cramping you are surely behind on your electrolytes.  The fatigue/fitness issue can be a catalyst but rarely ever acting alone). 3) you may need to slow down, do some stretching, etc. 4) grit your teeth and embrace the pain.  The muscle spasms are very painful.  When the muscle spasms hits, you are willing to try anything to get some relief. These hype products know it so buyer beware.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2017-12-18 1:31 PM
2017-12-18 7:05 PM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

i rarely if ever cramp in training, and mid mo gets hot in the summer. but have yet to not cramp in a race. yes it may be because i havnt pushed it as hard in training, but it sure seems like im pushing it as hard in training.
hot shots did not do much other than postpone the cramps. again maybe a fitness issue. im gonna try pickle juice, just hard to know when you dont cramp in training.
i have always finished my races, but sure sucks to limp across the line with poor times when you know you could do better
2017-12-18 11:09 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by bnsafe i rarely if ever cramp in training, and mid mo gets hot in the summer. but have yet to not cramp in a race. yes it may be because i havnt pushed it as hard in training, but it sure seems like im pushing it as hard in training. hot shots did not do much other than postpone the cramps. again maybe a fitness issue. im gonna try pickle juice, just hard to know when you dont cramp in training. i have always finished my races, but sure sucks to limp across the line with poor times when you know you could do better

2X

2017-12-19 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Originally posted by bnsafe

has anyone tried both hot shots and either pickle juice out of a jar or the shot kind they sell. if so which one works better. i used quite abit of shot shots last year, and although i think they lessened the severity of the cramp, they did not either prevent them or keep them away once they started. at the cost of hot shots im looking for a alternative. hence pickle juice. any thoughts

I have tried Hotshot and it hasn't done anything for me. The only reason I tried it because it was a giveaway in the Ironman bags but I would never pay the outrageous price. I would probably try pickle juice shots to for the sake of trying. I always like that in the Amazon description it says they have been making them since 2001 => http://amzn.to/2CGCYpG

Hotshot really must be throwing a lot of money at advertising. I have heard others say that Pickle Juice works just as a good or better than Hotshot fwiw. Maybe I'll find a Pickle Juice shot in my bag next year
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » hot shots or pickle juice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pickle Juice

Started by b2run
Views: 557 Posts: 3

2017-10-09 10:27 PM BlueBoy26

Too hot to swim?

Started by runtim23
Views: 826 Posts: 8

2017-08-19 9:16 PM NeilsWheel

Hot Shot or similar anti-cramping products--thoughts?

Started by Hot Runner
Views: 992 Posts: 5

2017-07-15 7:56 PM Hot Runner

If you drink beet juice

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 879 Posts: 7

2017-02-16 7:35 PM bmeere

Hot tub Stretching

Started by Detroit Dan
Views: 7057 Posts: 15

2017-05-22 9:14 AM [email protected]