General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I HATE THE TREADMILL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-04 6:37 AM

User image

Subject: I HATE THE TREADMILL!
I just want to vent. I hate the treadmill. It's so boring. I love to run outside. However, this frigid cold makes that almost impossible especially with all the ice around. I don't know why it is so much worse to me. I would think that based on that same logic I would hate the bike trainer too. However, I don't. It's only the treadmill. I just want to be able to run outside again. Go away cold!

2018-01-04 8:11 AM
in reply to: jnuger

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: I HATE THE TREADMILL!

Testify! (I share your antipathy for the dreadmill)

2018-01-04 9:38 AM

I hear ya.....

However, I can pass on a few things that might help.

Netflix:
for the sci-fi minded: Dark, Travellers, Black Mirror
Although, I have to admit, I switched off Dark halfway into the first episode so I could binge the rest with my wife. I knew she'd like it. It's like Stranger Things had sex with The Returned (the original, not the US version), and gave birth to a baby Lost.

for the documentary minded: Voyeur

for the mockumentary minded: American Vandal

Podcasting. Gosh yes. I just got into it this summer during car trips, and have taken it up for treadmill time:
Stitcher, while not an intuitive app, it seems to have everything.
-Heaven's Gate
-Cults
-Sword and Stone
I tried My Favorite Murder, but it's not even close to factual. Sword and Stone does a much better job of using extent audio.
Yes, I am fascinated by cults. And yes, I watch a lot of ID channel.

With this cold snap, I've consumed all of this Netflix stuff as well has hours and hours of those podcasts on the treadmill and indoor riding.

The gym I go to has treadmills with a built-in touch screen and access to some kind of Google based map and Street View service. I've run the 5 miles of the Monterey Bay Coastal a million times, and a 3 mile mostly uphill stretch of the coast in South Africa at least a zillion times. Those are the only 2 freebies. Although, they've added a daily workout. I've run through downtown Belgrade. A couple beach and coastal runs scattered around Italy, South America, and the like. Just the other day, I got to do a 3 mile loop around the Pyramids at Giza, ending at the Sphinx. But, no pictures of actual Sphinx. Didn't get close enough.

I'll do anything to not stare at numbers on the screen, and Gold's TV channel selection is TERRIBLE.

I like running in the "cold". But not cheek burning, eyeball fluid freezing cold like this. I haven't been warm once since this business started. I'd get in the hot tub at the gym, but the last thing my dry skin needs is to soak in hot water.
2018-01-04 11:22 AM

User image

What's stopping you from running outside? I live in Northern Ontario and run outside all winter. I doubt that your conditions are worse than mine.
2018-01-04 11:23 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I ran a New Year's Day 5K and it made me realize the cold (even 2 degrees) isn't as bad as I thought. I still warmed right up after 10 minutes and had to take off my ski mask.

Maybe you could run outside once a week, if it's safe? Even when it's awful?

Also, I started using Zwift on the bike, which makes the bike trainer like a video game. It's WAY more fun for me, and so now I'm interested in Zwift running, which is the same thing only you are on the treadmill but you can see yourself running with all the other people. It requires a footpod, but I just bought one on Amazon for $30 because I, too, am starting to hate the treadmill.
2018-01-04 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Is it possible for you to set up some sort of video (TV/computer) in front of your treadmill?  I'm always benefited when I grab a treadmill with a TV at the gym.  Also, when I do indoor stationary stuff, it's prime podcast time.  It's the perfect time to catch up on IMTalk or Rich Roll.

2018-01-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

There really isn't a good path that I can take safely. The sidewalks are all iced over. I could run in the streets but still some ice patches and I need to run in the early morning (dark) based on my work schedule. The sub zero is also worse than treadmill running to me. However, I will definitely get outside if it was even in the upper teens. I like running in the snow, if I can get some fresh powder and not compacted ice. The ice worries me.
2018-01-04 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Do people not have track spikes any more?

2018-01-04 12:10 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
About 7 years ago I did something silly and signed up for an April marathon. That meant I had to run in winter. I had a long run scheduled (2 hours) and it was all icy and such on the trail so I had to run on the treadmill....for 2 hours! It was interesting to a few of the other gym users as I showed up with some extra hydration and nutrition for a treadmill run. I also didn't realize the treadmill timed out after an hour so I had to stop and reset.

Anyhow that was the last long run I ever did on a treadmill. I polled the BT'ers here on what do do about running on ice and the BT'ers came through. They're called YakTrax. Put those bad boys on your running shoes and BAM, full gait on ice and packed snow. My next long run was 18 miles on ice and packed snow. It was great.

https://yaktrax.implus.com/product/yaktrax-run-ice-shoes

I have the YakTrax Pro but a few years ago they came out with YakTrax Run which I have not tried yet.

Good quality stuff mine are still working after 7 years. I've put a few hundred miles on asphalt as well as many runs have mixed terrain.

Keeping a pace of 8:00 - 8:30 per mile on ice and packed snow has not been a problem.
2018-01-04 5:42 PM
in reply to: #5233976

User image

Temperance, Michigan
I hate the dreadmill as well!!! Trying to run outside when I can but it’s been a pretty brutal winter so far so doing speedwork inside. 7 degrees outside which doesn’t include the wind chill. I feel your pain. Warming up to 25s degrees on Sunday so can’t wait, that will feel like a heat wave.
2018-01-04 6:24 PM

User image

Originally posted by jnuger

There really isn't a good path that I can take safely. The sidewalks are all iced over. I could run in the streets but still some ice patches and I need to run in the early morning (dark) based on my work schedule. The sub zero is also worse than treadmill running to me. However, I will definitely get outside if it was even in the upper teens. I like running in the snow, if I can get some fresh powder and not compacted ice. The ice worries me.

Some people take an old pair of running shoes and put screws through them to give them grip on ice. I have a headlight lamp and a mesh flourescent construction vest that I take out when it's dark. I've ran down to - 30 and it's really not that bad if you know how to dress for it.

2018-01-05 11:19 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Do some tempo or fast intervals on the treadmill. The shorter intervals keep you engaged and having to set a pace keeps you honest about your speed.

long slow treadmill runs are not that much fun - but Netflix really helps.
2018-01-05 1:10 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Do what I did, move to Florida.
2018-01-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Actually the tempo run was the harder run for me. I don't know if it had something to do with 3x15' at tempo and not being able to vary my stride or pace at all over that time frame. I've always done short interval work on the treadmill but the longer tempo sets were pretty hard on me. My coach is going to switch to some hill intervals instead. I think that will help and the weather is getting back to normal next week with 20s and 30s and not -10 windchills. I'm definitely going to get some yaktrax too. Thank you BT. I have a lot of run work to do and these suggestions will help! Unfortunately tomorrow is a 2 hr treadmill run. Can't wait to set up with 2 water bottles and a few gels and see what people think. LOL

Oh, and like 14 sweat towels.
2018-01-05 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by jnuger

Actually the tempo run was the harder run for me. I don't know if it had something to do with 3x15' at tempo and not being able to vary my stride or pace at all over that time frame. I've always done short interval work on the treadmill but the longer tempo sets were pretty hard on me. My coach is going to switch to some hill intervals instead. I think that will help and the weather is getting back to normal next week with 20s and 30s and not -10 windchills. I'm definitely going to get some yaktrax too. Thank you BT. I have a lot of run work to do and these suggestions will help! Unfortunately tomorrow is a 2 hr treadmill run. Can't wait to set up with 2 water bottles and a few gels and see what people think. LOL

Oh, and like 14 sweat towels.

I empathize with you. I hate the TM and the bike trainer. Indoor training of any type sucks (even swimming).

However, there is a real utility to being able to do shorter, faster stuff indoors-especially with inclement weather. That said, I have a lot of knuckelhead friends who do 2 and 3 hr TM runs. I have never and will never torture myself like that. Slow and steady outside, even if the pace is slower, is still getting the job done.

I wish you well with your TM challenge.

2018-01-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

The 2 hr treadmill was definitely not super fun but my coach put together a TM hill workout for today and that was fun. I had to push myself a bit harder but I also had to follow the workout guidelines and adjust the speed and elevation according to the intervals. I really liked it. Thank you Coach Scott. #BSC

2018-01-09 7:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lierskogen, Buskerud
I use these (and love them) in the winter here in Norway:

https://www.salomon.com/no/product/speedspike-cs.html?article=394475

They have 15 very well-placed carbide spikes. I've done a 10K run a what could only be described as a "hockey rink", and did not slip once. We had -3c and freezing rain the entire day before. Where I live was quite literally covered in over 1 inch of ice...

And I'm with you...dislike the dreadmill very much. Intervals is about all I can handle on it...

Good luck!!

Edited by flyor64 2018-01-09 7:49 AM
2018-01-09 11:14 AM

I'll differ from all you folks. I LOVE the treadmill! 

I've learned that at the local gym, I run harder since there are other people around, so it's great for hardcore interval training and hill repeats.

At home on my TM, it's great for longer/easier efforts, with my 32" TV, BT earbuds. 

GREAT workout tool, one that's well worth adapting to and getting very comfortable with. If you're lucky enough to have one at home, set it up somewhere not totally depressing, and get on it as often as possible. 

2018-01-09 11:36 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by yazmaster

I'll differ from all you folks. I LOVE the treadmill! 

I've learned that at the local gym, I run harder since there are other people around, so it's great for hardcore interval training and hill repeats.

At home on my TM, it's great for longer/easier efforts, with my 32" TV, BT earbuds. 

GREAT workout tool, one that's well worth adapting to and getting very comfortable with. If you're lucky enough to have one at home, set it up somewhere not totally depressing, and get on it as often as possible. 

I like it, too, to a point I suppose.  About an hour or so is my limit.  

I love using it for short distance "frequency"-type runs, just a couple of miles before a trainer session or something.  Also did lots of stride work on them in the winter.

2018-01-09 2:07 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

, Pennsylvania
I travel a lot...and I too have come to embrace the suck.

Last week I put 10 and then 13.1 on treadmill. Back out into the -7* on Sunday morning and then 8 today on the treadmill again.

My go to is the Ted Radio Hour and/or a book. Usually listen to music for the last 3.
2018-01-09 2:38 PM
in reply to: PigeonTri

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Gold member
I'm attempting a 30days/30runs/30mins regimen and the only way that's happening is because the home TM is just so convenient. No one can find an excuse to blow off a run workout like I can...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I HATE THE TREADMILL! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Treadmill form

Started by chunta
Views: 554 Posts: 1

2017-11-10 6:47 PM chunta

Treadmill for home use

Started by nrpoulin
Views: 2125 Posts: 11

2017-10-14 2:09 PM browncd

Is it OK for me to say I hate bike lanes?

Started by jhaack39
Views: 891 Posts: 10

2017-07-08 1:26 PM SevenZulu

Purchasing a Treadmill - Advice Please Pages: 1 2

Started by Rdracer99
Views: 9416 Posts: 28

2019-09-26 10:54 AM ethelcurtis

FTP testing......I hate it....so...... Pages: 1 2 3

Started by aquagirl
Views: 4810 Posts: 53

2017-08-03 6:46 AM [email protected]
RELATED ARTICLES