General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 Month for an Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-06 9:21 PM

Subject: 1 Month for an Olympic Distance
Hey everyone!

I'm keen to do a triathlon in March... this might sound like I have lots of time but unfortunately I'm going away until mid-Feb and then I'm housesiting until the end of Feb and it may be hard to be in a routine (but I will try). Assuming I can train from 18/2/18-18/3/18 do you think this is enough time to get in shape for an Olympic Distance tri? Any advice on prioritising training? I feel like more cycling would be best but I find long distance cycling kind of boring, maybe mountain biking to mix it up but I don't know if I can cover solid distances then.

Background: I'm fairly active, I have been running reguarly but got sick over christmas and haven't run much since- 2k to the gym and then 2k back. I have a shoulder injury so I have to go to the gym (3x/wk) but then that takes up my morning and I live in the tropics so morning is the only time I can survive training so ideally any advice which involves one activity a day and makes time for the gym (I can run/cycle to the gym, or swim after). I did triathlon when I was younger (I'm 22 and the last tri I did was at 12yrs old) and I grew up doing all three sports- swimming is probably what I'm most confident in but my shoulder injury has meant I've been out of the pool for a while- back into it recently thanks to weighted physio, maybe once a week so as not to push my luck. Even though I'm not 'training' I will still be fairly active in the time between now and mid feb- hiking, body weight strength (for shoulder) while I'm away etc. Maybe I should just do a sprint, it just feels too short, and then the next Olympic near me isn't until May

Any advice is most welcome. If you really don't think this is possible let me know but don't be a **** about it please.
Thanks

Edited by alexrtri 2018-01-06 9:22 PM

2018-01-07 1:31 PM
in reply to: alexrtri

User image

Subject: RE: 1 Month for an Olympic Distance
I guess it depends on whether you just want to finish or if you want to put up a throng race... If you are comfortable in the swim that helps a lot as most triathletes list the swim as their most challenging event. It sounds as though you run a few days a week and this is good as well. I worry th most for inexperienced athlete son the bike course. I can remember my first year and I had little control on the bike and had one spectacular crash. I'm in my 4th year this year and I feel that the bike has the most likelihood of causing mt to not finish a race. Even now, while I am very comfortable in aero there are times when I feel my ability to control the bike slip. This can be catastrophic to me and worse yet to the other riders around me. Example: on one of my half iron's last year, I attempted to grap a drink from a volunteer as I coasted through the aid station, I lost focus for a second and came very close to causing a multi-bike pile up because of it.

If you feel that you are confident on the run and swim, focus energy on getting competent and confident on the bike in aero.
2018-01-07 4:30 PM

User image

I'd recommend a sprint. You don't want to hurt yourself or finish feeling like you don't want to do another.
2018-01-07 10:13 PM
in reply to: #5234252

User image

Franklin, TN
I would suggest doing the sprint too...maybe the Olympic in May. Sprints are a lot of fun and they are not easy if you’re trying to be competitive.

Regarding the Olympic distance:
A 1500 meter swim with your shoulder issues might be a problem. The bike is 40k (a little under 25 miles) so, not that far. The run, a 10k (6.2 miles), is not that far either. Doing all 3 of those distances at a decent pace is the tricky part and is usually the result of consistent training in all 3 disciplines.

You might find it interesting to look up the splits in your age group from past results of the event you’re interested in...that would provide some data to compare to your current fitness.
2018-01-08 2:55 AM
in reply to: sdalcher

I try not to focus on 'strong times' just because of the way I'm built and my resources (my bike mostly) I'll never really be getting 'strong' times. I don't want to collapse at the finish line but I don't mind if have to walk a bit in the run or whatever- I just want to 'put a time on the board' that I can race myself against. I should have made it clearer but I love riding my bike in general, I feel very comfortable on a bike, hands free, aero or just casual. Although I don't do long rides, I ride my bike everywhere (well, anywhere within a 30min ride) and have done since I was little. Thanks for the advice and I do think I should focus on the bike, more on actually working not just cruising like I do when commuting. The last triathlon I remember pushing myself on the bike felt so fereign because I don't 'train' when I ride, I just ride for fun.
2018-01-08 3:01 AM
in reply to: JoelO

I have looked up some splits- I'm comfortably under the swim split (I too, am worried about my shoulder but I work hard in the gym and it's paying off, I can swim without pain for at least the 1.5k needed and I can always go one-arm in a worst case senario) but not looking so hot for the other too. As I said in the other reply because of my build I try not to compare myself to others and really I'm not too bothered if I get a terrible time, just so long as I feel good- or feel alright at least I'm leaning towards the sprint tbh, but I'll go for a 10k run tomorrow and see how that goes- will probably be a walk-run but I don't mind that.

2018-01-08 3:02 AM
in reply to: b2run

I suppose that feeling of it being absolutely awful is all I want to avoid- I'd feel confident with doing each event alone but together is another story :/
2018-01-08 10:52 AM

User image

Franklin, TN

Yeh, I think the sprint is the way to go if you want the most pleasant experience. 

You won't be gaining additional fitness by training the 7-10 days before the race so your training timeframe is going to be rather short.  It would really benefit you to train each of the disciplines at least 3 times per week if you're wanting to race an Olympic or longer event.  Ramping up volume too quickly just to handle a particular distance would be setting yourself up for injury.  You're 22...you have time to race a kagillion races...make the process fun from the get-go and you'll enjoy the sport for a long time. 

Regarding your training:

Swim - rule of thumb would be to have a main set equal to 1-1.5 race distance.  If I was training specifically for Olympic distance, my main sets would be in the 1500-2250 meter range.

Bike - looks like you're doing a decent bit of this but on a fairly short and casual basis.  When you're not commuting (don't want to get all sweaty for work!) add some intensity and length to your rides. 

Run - this is where people get injured the most often.  Usually by running too fast or too far before their body can handle the work load.  Most of us on this forum, myself included, are guilty of this at some point.  BarryP on the Slowtwitch forum put together a running plan that many follow with success.  It emphasizes frequency and conversational pacing to give your body time to adapt.  He advocates running 6 days a week as follows:  Take your current weekly mileage and divide by 10.  Let's say you're running 10 miles per week.  10/10 = 1 mile.  This would be the distance of your short run.  Your medium run would be 2x the short run or 2 miles and your long run would be 3x or 3 miles.  You would run all of these at any easy pace.  The short run is ran 3 times per week, medium run 2 times per week and the long run 1 time per week.  Slowly add time/distance as the weeks progress.  Time and time again, people are amazed how fast they become using this approach.

2018-01-11 5:23 PM
in reply to: JoelO

Thanks for all the advice I have decided that yes, I will just do the sprint because as you say, I want to have a good time. I believe that with 4wks of training given where my fitness is at, I could finish a sprint feeling good- and hopefully giving my all the whole way. I already do about that much when I swim, and I've just googled swimming options where I'll be house siting and there's a free sea pool that looks great Plus, it's 20k away from the house so a perfect training ride.

Thanks for that running guide. I feel like that's a lot of my issue- particularly because I have such an on-again-off-again relationship with running and I think I'll be at the same fitness level after not running for 2 months so I overdo it and then can't run for another 2 months haha. I will definitely be following that. I'll probably just start with 2k as my short run as I think I run about 20k a week, or at least I'm certainly capable of doing so. I might do a number of brick workouts too- particularly for getting used to running while already tired.
2018-01-11 5:44 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Smart plan! 

Regarding the brick workouts: The legs are going to feel a little wonky for the first 200-300 meters coming off the bike...your stride will start to feel better after that.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1 Month for an Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

8 months vs. 20 months to train for first tri?

Started by calamity_j
Views: 1069 Posts: 13

2018-01-05 4:26 PM audiojan

Clothing Questions for Olympic Distance

Started by Mike1414
Views: 1185 Posts: 13

2017-07-21 8:58 PM nrpoulin

Bike Training Help for Ironman Two Months Away

Started by toddj
Views: 1941 Posts: 10

2017-08-23 1:27 AM triosaurus

8 Month IM program