General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a strength training program for a beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-07 9:24 AM

User image

New user

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: Looking for a strength training program for a beginner
Hello - My husband and I are looking at doing a sprint triathlon at the end of June and had been perusing the BT website for a strength-training plan. We're looking at doing this for at least one month before we try to do any actual tri-training. I'm pretty sure I found a free, one-month calendar with specific work out exercises but for the life of me, can't find it now. Is there anyone who can point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Amber

2018-01-07 4:29 PM
in reply to: kootenaykin

User image

Subject: RE: Looking for a strength training program for a beginner
Generally, you'll get more benefit out of putting the time into triathlon specific training rather than train with weights. The exception is if you are over 50 in which case, weight training is beneficial because you are losing muscle mass.
If you do weight training, it's better to do it in your base phase. The best training works the muscles you use in triathlons - squats, planks for the core, tricep lifts, calf lifts. I do them 2 - 3 times a week with light weights, 3 sets of 25 each. (planks 1 min) Try to increase weight or rep number every week or two.
2018-01-07 9:16 PM
in reply to: kootenaykin

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Looking for a strength training program for a beginner

Originally posted by kootenaykin Hello - My husband and I are looking at doing a sprint triathlon at the end of June and had been perusing the BT website for a strength-training plan. We're looking at doing this for at least one month before we try to do any actual tri-training. I'm pretty sure I found a free, one-month calendar with specific work out exercises but for the life of me, can't find it now. Is there anyone who can point us in the right direction? Thanks in advance, Amber

I agree that if your goal is triathlon then you need to be getting experience with swim/bike/run but since you asked about strength training....... I stumbled across workouts from HASfit on YouTube last winter. The workouts are all free and you can choose from different plans depending on your goals.  They provide some plans with a monthly calendar which links directly to the YouTube video of the workout http://hasfit.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for a strength training program for a beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Resistance Band Strength Training

Started by Tmontgomery
Views: 706 Posts: 2

2017-10-09 1:36 PM triosaurus

Strength Training - decent, bad, or terrible plan?

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 1237 Posts: 5

2017-06-28 5:14 AM RolandKinsley

Strength Training?

Started by tshiver
Views: 2621 Posts: 17

2017-06-27 8:49 AM JohnnyKay

Plus size beginner looking for great quality / great price

Started by Infinikate
Views: 1272 Posts: 4

2017-03-26 9:20 PM emmy0417

Seeking MENTORS for 2017 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program