General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-11 12:50 AM

Subject: Bike choice
Ok so new to tri and picking up a used bike under 1k. Options right now near me are a 2009 specialized transition. A 2011 cervelo p2. A 2012 trek speed concept 7.5. And a 2015 cannondale slice. Besides fit and comfort is there a reason say I should go with the cervelo or the trek or etc.

2018-01-11 8:15 AM
in reply to: resqd1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Bike choice

what components do they all have? what shape are they in?

2018-01-12 8:43 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Don't worry about anything else but fit. You will be much faster on a lesser bike with lesser components if you have a good fit, than on a super bike with the absolute best of components with a poor fit.
2018-01-12 7:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
Argon-18 e-80 are beautiful. and fit most humans. :p
2018-01-12 9:40 PM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by audiojan Don't worry about anything else but fit. You will be much faster on a lesser bike with lesser components if you have a good fit, than on a super bike with the absolute best of components with a poor fit.

and if he fits both he should probably consider the condition of the bike and the components....

2018-01-13 8:40 AM

User image

Fit is the most important thing. I'm very partial to the Cervelo P2. At the minimum, if you can't afford a bike fit, do a little research on your height to see generally what size frame should fit you. This is obviously not a guarantee as only a quality bike fitting will be able to capture your ideal specifications. With that being said, most people starting out can't justify $250-$400 on a fit when they are looking to spend $1000 on the bike. In actuality it is money well spent to ensure you get a bike that can be configured to fit you well. I have a friend who spent an obscene amount of money on a new bike, that the bike shop assured him would "fit" to find out when he finally went for a fitting the bike could not be brought within specifications to actually fit him... The bike shop did actually make good in the end but it was not a good situation. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs at racing weight and I have two bikes one a 56 and the other a 58. The 58 is what I started with and just got lucky that it fit me reasonably well. The 56, my actual race bike (Cervelo P2) I had a series of fittings to get it dialed in as I became more comfortable on the bike and made minor adjustments. I will have another fitting session this spring before I start my outdoor riding, just to dial in the most comfortable specs. 100+ miles on a bike that is not comfortable is just plain misery. So when you start talking to a reputable bike fitter, they should talk about the fitting as an ongoing process that can take 6 months or a year to get it fully ironed (ha ha) out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike choice Rss Feed