General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subtle, incremental changes to BT site appearance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-01-11 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Subtle, incremental changes to BT site appearance
Hello all!
I don't want to alarm anyone... I want to let you know I'm going to be making some incremental investments in a more contemporary look for the website. You may or may not notice, but I wanted to let you in on the process.

This weekend (if all goes well) you'll see some small changes to the red menu bar at the top. We're adding our social media links and making the user settings and inbox easier to access.

We're also changing a few fonts and making the text a bit larger in some areas, sitewide.

Ultimately, I want the site to look awesome and contemporary, but it's a chicken-and-egg issue: We need to the site to look less tired in order for advertisers to take us seriously. But we need more advertisers to fund the changes. So I'm working on doing things a little at a time.

Feedback is welcome.

Future plans include updating the homepage design, improving the layout of the articles and training plan pages, etc. There are no planned changes to core functionality or appearance of Training Logs or Forums at this time.

2018-01-11 6:51 PM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Subtle, incremental changes to BT site appearance

Hi, Alice. Thanks for the heads up.

It's been a very long time since I've been an active user of the training logs and participant in the forums. Can you tell me where I can find information about privacy of my data and profile? Is my information sold or shared with vendors, advertisers, anyone? Thanks in advance for your reply.

2018-01-12 1:25 PM
in reply to: Renee

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Hi Renee!

Our Terms are here (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=103) and they have not changed since the sale of the company from Ron to me.
We don't sell email addresses. We do offer our advertisers certain advertising package options that allow them to send an email promotion, but it occurs through our email system. They provide us the content and we mail it. We don't give them the email list. I hope that helps.

Welcome back! Thanks for your past participation, and happy training!
2018-01-13 5:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Thanks for the head's up -- I definitely noticed and kept trying to see how I had inadvertently changed my browser settings such it was looking different. It's nice to know that it wasn't me.

ETA:  the font in the inspires is awfully big now. I'd love to see it return down a size or so.

Edited by StartingToTri 2018-01-13 5:41 PM
2018-01-13 7:30 PM
in reply to: StartingToTri

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Whoa, big font alert!!!  I won't need my reading glasses anymore. 

Actually a lot easier to read, but looks like a square 1997 website now.  Doesn't render to the monitor size at all.

2018-01-13 10:04 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for the "heads up." :-)

2018-01-14 8:05 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Actually a lot easier to read, but looks like a square 1997 website now.  Doesn't render to the monitor size at all.

Mike, I don't think the site has ever been able to adjust to different monitor sizes. Can you tell me more about what is different this weekend in terms of how it displays on your monitor? For me, it's always been 1997 and "skinny" compared to the available screen size. I'm trying to work on that a little, too, but it's hard to do incrementally.

Still, I'm not interested in making things worse! What are the symptoms of "not rendering to monitor size" that you see today that you didn't see before?

(If it's text going outside it's boundaries, that's just because the text happened to be smaller before and everything was designed around that, so we'll have to find these instances and change the margins to adjust it.)
2018-01-14 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by StartingToTri

Thanks for the head's up -- I definitely noticed and kept trying to see how I had inadvertently changed my browser settings such it was looking different. It's nice to know that it wasn't me.

ETA:  the font in the inspires is awfully big now. I'd love to see it return down a size or so.

Thanks, Laura, I'll take a look at that.
2018-01-15 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by alicefoeller
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Mike, I don't think the site has ever been able to adjust to different monitor sizes. Can you tell me more about what is different this weekend in terms of how it displays on your monitor? For me, it's always been 1997 and "skinny" compared to the available screen size. I'm trying to work on that a little, too, but it's hard to do incrementally. Still, I'm not interested in making things worse! What are the symptoms of "not rendering to monitor size" that you see today that you didn't see before? (If it's text going outside it's boundaries, that's just because the text happened to be smaller before and everything was designed around that, so we'll have to find these instances and change the margins to adjust it.)

I dunno - maybe it's just me or the bigger font makes it feel a little more narrow.  It's not a deal breaker.

The font goes outside of the margins in the Power/HR section for cycling.  See below.

2018-01-16 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for the changes. It's a nice look.

I think that maybe the notifications aren't notifying properly? If I have inspires or PMs waiting, it still says zero in the red bar.

2018-01-16 7:26 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

I think that maybe the notifications aren't notifying properly? If I have inspires or PMs waiting, it still says zero in the red bar.

Came here to report the same thing -- its says "0" but the drop down tells me I have 1 inspire.

My $0.02 -- I liked having the inspire notification broken out and always visible instead of having to go to a dropdown to see if there are any new ones. If you need a screenshot, let me know. 

Also - the inspire font looks great, thanks!

2018-01-16 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Agreed, I'm not sure it is notifying properly:

(Mailbox1.png)

(Mailbox.png)

Attachments
----------------
Mailbox1.png (10KB - 10 downloads)
Mailbox.png (18KB - 16 downloads)
2018-01-16 8:26 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Do not love that the inspire notification was removed. As you know, inspires are a huge part of what makes BT go round and round. If you can't see that you have an inspire at first glance (like you could up until now), that's a step in the wrong direction, IMO.

2018-01-16 8:41 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

I get the same thing. Like others, I'd prefer not to go to a drop down just to see if i have an inspire. Though I do realize if you are in your log, it shows the same way, so it is obvious. 

2018-01-17 2:22 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

I get the same thing. Like others, I'd prefer not to go to a drop down just to see if i have an inspire. Though I do realize if you are in your log, it shows the same way, so it is obvious. 

I agree, I'm not loving this change. Inspires are a great part of BT and I liked to be able to see that I had them as soon as I logged in.
2018-01-18 7:55 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by lisac957

Do not love that the inspire notification was removed. As you know, inspires are a huge part of what makes BT go round and round. If you can't see that you have an inspire at first glance (like you could up until now), that's a step in the wrong direction, IMO.

X2

2018-01-20 8:34 PM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
We gave Inspires its own line, and inspires is included in the total.
Are people still seeing "0" in the total?

No one loves me and I have no inspires, so I can't tell. ;-)
2018-01-21 5:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by alicefoeller We gave Inspires its own line, and inspires is included in the total. Are people still seeing "0" in the total? No one loves me and I have no inspires, so I can't tell. ;-)

im seeing the inspire #s again!

2018-01-21 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

Originally posted by alicefoeller We gave Inspires its own line, and inspires is included in the total. Are people still seeing "0" in the total? No one loves me and I have no inspires, so I can't tell. ;-)

Yup - seeing the count again. Thanks!!

Now, just being a bit picky...

It used to be that the count that was always visible, would update as you read your inspires if you clicked on that link. So - let's say I had 4 inspires waiting for me, 1 on one day, 3 on another day. I would click on that (4), read that first inspire, and when I closed the inspire dialog box the (4) would update to (3). I could click again, it would bring me to the next three, I would read them, and when I closed that inspire dialog box, it would update that main count to (0). 

Now - the main inspire number (the "(4)" next to the envelope) does not update until I refresh the page.

The dropdown inspire count updates, but after I read the first one, there's a black box at the end of that line. I didn't get a screen shot, but it's like:

3 new inspires _

And now I can't get the background color to match back up, lol, but just wanted to report that. It's not a big deal, but I'd love to have that main inspire count automatically update after clicking on that link to read the inspire (if this all makes sense....)

2018-01-21 7:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Alice

Would any of these subtle, incremental changes be the reason that the photos that I load into my training log be showing up sideways, or even upside down? I am loading these photos directly from my iPhone into my log.

Thanks Stacey
2018-01-22 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yup - seeing the count again. Thanks!!

Now, just being a bit picky...

It used to be that the count that was always visible, would update as you read your inspires if you clicked on that link. So - let's say I had 4 inspires waiting for me, 1 on one day, 3 on another day. I would click on that (4), read that first inspire, and when I closed the inspire dialog box the (4) would update to (3). I could click again, it would bring me to the next three, I would read them, and when I closed that inspire dialog box, it would update that main count to (0). 

Now - the main inspire number (the "(4)" next to the envelope) does not update until I refresh the page.

The dropdown inspire count updates, but after I read the first one, there's a black box at the end of that line. I didn't get a screen shot, but it's like:

3 new inspires _

And now I can't get the background color to match back up, lol, but just wanted to report that. It's not a big deal, but I'd love to have that main inspire count automatically update after clicking on that link to read the inspire (if this all makes sense....)

I've noticed this as well, the Inspire count does not update until I refresh BT.

2018-01-23 3:24 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi Alice

Would any of these subtle, incremental changes be the reason that the photos that I load into my training log be showing up sideways, or even upside down? I am loading these photos directly from my iPhone into my log.

Thanks Stacey

Stacey, no. We've checked into this complaint before and there's nothing on the BT site that is able to rotate images. But we did have another complaint about it before we made any of these changes, so I think it's unrelated for that reason, too.

Are you doing this on the mobile site/app? (Obviously, since you said iPhone, but you could also be airdropping the photos or something...)
2018-01-23 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
OK, working on making the Inspires update like they used to... Thanks everybody.
2018-01-30 3:58 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Alice,

In future updates, IMHO, I think it would be much better to organize the access to the calculators that BT has for users to be available from the TRAINING LOG drop list, e.g. add "My Zones".   Scattered about BT here are two calculators to organize:

1. Cycling Critical Power(FTP) (and HR MLSS) here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/cycling-zone-calc.asp
  2. HR Zone calculators/zone manager at: User/Setting/Training Log Setting/HR Zone manager (never understood why this had to be 4+ levels deep)

Then perhaps add something for swimming such as a Critical Swim Speed calculator like here http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html but with adjustable yardage setting.

At the very least it cleans things up a bit for people to use.  Just a thought...

2018-01-31 8:39 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

This has happened again? I had been seeing this on my Chromebook at home, but since it didn't happen on Chrome on my Windows machine, I decided it was a personal problem. Now, I'm seeing both on the Chromebook and on my windows machine running Chrome.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Subtle, incremental changes to BT site appearance Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Change Components or New Bike

Started by fostermutt
Views: 821 Posts: 7

2017-11-20 9:56 AM melbo55

changing pace times on plan?

Started by MuscleMomma
Views: 820 Posts: 7

2017-10-25 7:21 PM kloofyroland

Grats to BT IM Santa Rosa Finishers 7/29

Started by Baowolf