General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Training Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-14 9:35 AM

Subject: Tri Training Nutrition
Morning Ya'll

I am on a calorie / nutrtion program called Body Bug. I wear a calorie counter on my arm and log everything that goes into my mouth daily. The program details a breakdown of protein, carbs, fat, salt, calories etc daily. I am using this to get to a target weight of 175lbs and 12% body fat.

I started a cardio / weight program in April of this year. 210lbs and 24% body fat, 38" waist. I am now at 183, 15% body fat and 33" waist. This Sept I started training for my first Sprint Tri. I am now running more outside, biking and swimming. My weekly time is about 7 hours total.

Now for a question - My first sprtin tri is Oct 7th. I am wondering what foods are good pre race. Should I be increasing salt intake, carbs, protein????

For breakfast I usually have a protein shakes or egg whites with english muffins (dry) with fruit, a wrap with egg whites and chicken breast or granola cereal. Lunch is usually a sandwhich with fruit and a raw veggie or sushi. Dinner is usually a home cooked meal or fish( mahi, tuna or salmon), chicken( grilled or roasted) or pork with veggies, wild rice, sweet potatoes or salad. I average 30% protein, 20% fat and 50% carbs daily.

I like sports drinks( gatorade etc.....) but mainly drink water with lemon juice ( my addiction is olives and lemons...... Never tried GU. I also like fig newtons, bananas and all other fruits.

Any suggestions from the seasoned tri athletes out there?

Thanks

KJ in Naples

2006-09-14 3:23 PM
in reply to: #540867

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Tri Training Nutrition

The article Pre Race Nutrition should sum this up nicely.  Also, don't be changing your morning routine - on race day especially.  It's not worth it.  If your morning routine has been working, don't try to 'fix' it.

You seem to have a decent breakfast, and if it agrees with your stomach, there is no reason to change it if it's providing you with the energy to get you through the morning. 

Good luck on October 17th!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Training Nutrition Rss Feed