General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlete - FTP test, aero, or no Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-13 12:23 PM

Subject: Triathlete - FTP test, aero, or no
When performing a FTP test, should you test in aero, or however you can push the most power?

2018-01-13 2:30 PM
in reply to: Tmontgomery

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Triathlete - FTP test, aero, or no
I do it in aero because that's the position I want to generate the most power in (over long distances). When I train, retest etc. I want the same reference point.

If you generate more power sitting more upright, then use that as your reference FTP while training in aero, that will make the workouts tougher which may or may not be a good thing.
2018-01-13 10:46 PM

I use the same position I use for an overwhelming amount of my training time which is not aero. Heck, I spend as little time on my TT bike as possible.

2018-01-14 1:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've always done the FTP test sitting up--there is about a 15-20-watt difference in the power I can hold for 20 minutes between aero and not aero. But both are above what I can hold for most races, aero or not. I do most of my training up to about HIM race intensity in aero; for harder stuff, especially big gear work, I sit up unless the workout specifies aero.

I've asked my coach about this and she doesn't seem to think it actually makes much difference, as long as you do enough time in aero to get your body used to the position. I don't have any problem holding aero for at least three hours on the road and can push the appropriate % of FTP (tested out of aero) for the distances I do while racing in aero; it just feels awkward on the trainer. Maybe something about my bike position.
2018-01-14 6:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Tmontgomery

When performing a FTP test, should you test in aero, or however you can push the most power?

I would test in the position you plan to train. As you get closer to race day make sure you are in the position you plan to race.

IMO, you don't want to find your threshold is 250 seated, 230 in the aerobars and then train at 250 on the aerobars.

Also now is a good time to figure out what the difference is and fix it if there is a big delta.

I currently train on the road bike and am doing more short/harder intervals. I tested and ride more in a road position. Then again I didn't do the 20min test but rather a ramp test.

As the winter progresses the intensity will drop off to threshold and tempo but before I'll retest and probably in aero. That's I'll test using a 3min and 20min protocol.

I will also work on my position as I transition.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlete - FTP test, aero, or no Rss Feed