General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big boobs. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-15 3:30 PM

Subject: Big boobs.
I'm training for my first triathlon and need help with what to wear.

I have a long torso so when I've tried riding in a swim suit it rides up.
I'm a DD when running I have to wear 2 sports bras or an really good Brooks underwire sports bra. It's comfortable, I can breathe but people stare.
The other challenge is I'm a medium on the bottoms.

I'm worried a tri suit won't fit my chest and hips. I'm thinking about wearing a 2 piece racing suit and a putting on a tank and bike shorts after!

Any suggestion?

2018-01-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: Sarah689

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Big boobs.

It sounds like you're on track.  

When you say "racing suit" are you referring to just a swimsuit or tri-shorts and a tri-top? 

I'd be leery of putting bike shorts over anything and they may not be very comfortable for running.  If you already have a 2 piece swimsuit and bike shorts, try it (including with the swimsuit wet).  You might try the underwire bra swimming and cycling/running when it's wet.  I'm an advocate of doing your first race with what you already have rather than buying a lot of stuff you use once, but this of course means you've tried it and it works.  I am NOT a fan of racing in something that you already know doesn't work.  If you haven't tried it, putting almost anything on after you come out of the water is hard to do and I'd think adding a second sports bra would be near the top of the difficulty list (I'm a guy).  Swimming in two means soaking up that much extra water.  

If nothing you already have works, look into the tri-shorts and a tri-top matched to your body type.  

2018-01-15 7:21 PM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Sarah689 I'm training for my first triathlon and need help with what to wear. I have a long torso so when I've tried riding in a swim suit it rides up. I'm a DD when running I have to wear 2 sports bras or an really good Brooks underwire sports bra. It's comfortable, I can breathe but people stare. The other challenge is I'm a medium on the bottoms. I'm worried a tri suit won't fit my chest and hips. I'm thinking about wearing a 2 piece racing suit and a putting on a tank and bike shorts after! Any suggestion?

You can purchase triathlon clothes in 2 pieces - you can wear a sports bra that you like, a tri top and tri shorts and you will be good to go for the whole event. The pad in bike shorts is a lot thicker than tri shorts (at least the pair I have) and I would NOT want to run in those bike shorts and like McFuzz said putting clothes on when your wet is frustratingly difficult especially when your trying to race! Just make sure you practice once or twice in what you want to wear on race day to work out any kinks. I have purchased tri clothes online from Swim Outlet or Sierra Trading post or Zoot's website. 

2018-01-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I have similar issues to you and I have found that the best option for me was a tri top and tri shorts with my quick drying running bra underneath. Doing it this way you can buy two separate pieces that fit you and there is no need to add any additional clothing when you are already wet.

I use Freya Underwire sports bras as I have found these to be the most supportive when I run and as an added bonus they are quick drying. Just make sure that whatever bra you wear that it doesn't have any foam in it (most of the "moulded" ones do) and it makes for additional chafing when they are wet. They are alright when you are just running but once you add the swim in they have issues.
2018-01-16 4:38 PM

User image

Are we still allowed to say, THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS ? Or did I just #metoo a whole bunch of people.
2018-01-16 10:55 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The latter. Though I'm afraid I can't say "Me too" about the thread title.

BTW for the OP I recommend taking a look at Danskin tri tops or suits. They seem to have a really good range of sizes. I wear size small (am probably about a size two) and have seen women who are probably twice as big as me (top and/or bottom) in some of their other sizes. Nice designs, too. Regardless of size, most women triathletes wear a sports bra underneath their tri suit or top. It's pretty rare for the built-in bras in some suits to actually fit an actual female body, and usually then only if you're a small cup size. I think of all the suits I've had, only one of those bras has ever worked out. Kudos to Pearl Izumi for making them separate from the suit. The suits come with them and you can use them or not. (But I think in small sizes, they were designed for 10 year-olds, not women.)

2018-01-17 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Are we still allowed to say, THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS ? Or did I just #metoo a whole bunch of people.

Can't do stuff like that anymore, but don't worry I'll have pics for my "need advice on the best shorts for people with giant, pendulous balls" thread. You really need to see from all the angles to understand the extent of the problem.
2018-01-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: d.rock90

User image

Pro

Originally posted by d.rock90
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano Are we still allowed to say, THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS ? Or did I just #metoo a whole bunch of people.
Can't do stuff like that anymore, but don't worry I'll have pics for my "need advice on the best shorts for people with giant, pendulous balls" thread. You really need to see from all the angles to understand the extent of the problem.

#notme

2018-01-17 1:38 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Don't body shame me, bro.
2018-01-17 3:48 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

Come on, man, this isn't the cesspool that is Let's Run. What I like about this forum is that it's welcoming and helpful. I don't see how, even jokingly, demanding pictures will make folks like the OP reach out for help. BT is better than that.

2018-01-17 4:27 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

The funny part is that made me think "Ooh! What's Let's Run?" I checked it out, some guy's in the midst of doing 115 miles and drinking 115 pints in a week. So I guess that's actually the home for me.

Adieu, all.

2018-01-17 7:44 PM

When you are talking about the two piece tri suit are you talking about wearing it under a wet suit?
2018-01-17 10:58 PM
in reply to: Alaskagrl

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
You can wear it under a wetsuit or not. That being said, fit does become more of an issue for a non wetsuit race. Personally I find it hard to get the right fit so things don't ride up or flap around, particularly on the swim. I have a pretty small build but tend to be between sizes, am long-waisted, and have a smaller waist relative to my top and bottom that most suit brands seem to think I should. What that tends to mean with shorts is that one size (S or XS, depends on brand) will fit in the waist but not in the hips and the next size up vice versa ; with tops that if my chest goes in, the torso part flaps around or rides up; if the torso fits, it will be too tight in the chest. For me the best solution is a one-piece suit for a non-wetsuit swim. I would think though that finding a one-piece that fits comfortably would be a big challenge for someone who was a bigger size on top than on the bottom. I think her best bet would be just to find the best-fitting top and shorts that she can and wear them, whether or not she's using a wetsuit.
2018-01-18 2:53 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The solution to that for people who are really obsessed with swim speed and "feeling fast" in the water would be a swim skin or speed suit, which covers up any top/shorts fit issues on the swim and makes one more hydrodynamic while being legal for non-wetsuit swims. But that is REALLY far down the list of what one might acquire as one gets into tri, and really not something a beginner needs to worry about. (Plus she would probably find it difficult to find a good fit.) I've been in triathlon for almost eight years now, including two world championships, and only bought a speed suit at my last Worlds, not because I really, truly needed it but because there was the unexpected possibility it wouldn't be wetsuit legal, it seemed like everyone else had one, and I felt like a dork in my tri-suit. Plus they were deeply discounted at the expo. But definitely a "want", not a "need"!
2018-01-21 12:55 PM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Originally posted by LundyLund

Come on, man, this isn't the cesspool that is Let's Run. What I like about this forum is that it's welcoming and helpful. I don't see how, even jokingly, demanding pictures will make folks like the OP reach out for help. BT is better than that.

Thank you.
2018-01-22 11:46 AM

no its a warn open water swim i wont need a wet suit

2018-01-22 11:48 AM

no its a warn open water swim I wont need a wet suit
2018-01-22 2:47 PM

User image

Buttercup

I found a one piece to be more comfortable than a two piece.

I have a bunch of Moving Comfort (now Brooks) jog bras. While they did the trick, they are nothing compared to the Natori I was fitted for at Nordstrom's. No double bagging necessary.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big boobs. Rss Feed