Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Eagles fans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2018-01-24 9:32 AM

Subject: Eagles fans
Ok, so first of all I'm a Packers fan.
Second, Carson Wentz played football for NDSU (the Bison!) where I live.

So, I really like the Eagles players and hope they win it all.

But, what is wrong with their fan base? Why is it acceptable to say "oh, that is just how they are in Philly"?
Vikings fans flying there were told by flight attendants and people at the hotels to be careful, don't just wear your jerseys anywhere, don't talk back if taunted or harassed, etc. There were videos online of crowds screaming obscenities at people walking into the stadium and throwing unopened cans of beer at them. They were dumping beer on Vikings fans in the stands. A friend of mine went. He was at a bar across the street with a minority of decent Eagles fans. They headed towards the door, and 2 Eagles fans stopped them and counseled them that it will be dangerous as they enter the stadium. They were trying to help and said stuff like: don't linger, walk fast, don't respond to anything, don't look anyone of them in the eye, but try and watch for flying objects. Basically, just get in the stadium where security is better.

This is ridiculous!!! Are we talking a sporting event, or a visit to Afghanistan? This is complete BS. The cops in Philly made 6 arrests the entire day. What a joke. There were editorials on the topic that it is just too much. The cops only try to prevent riots, so if you get hit with a can of beer, that is small stuff.

This kind of crap can only happen after decades of tolerance. They say they can't control it, but people were allowed in to tailgate and either 10 or 11 in the morning, about 7 1/2 hours before game time. Just asking for trouble. Can you imagine having your kids at a game like this? They should have locked up Lincoln Field after the game, called it a temporary jail, and let the goons dry out for a couple days.

I hope the Minneapolis cops give the goons from Philly a rude awakening if they get out of line. And, in fairness, what an embarrassment to the good people and fans of Philly. I sure do not want to lump them all together.

2018-01-25 10:06 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Subject: RE: Eagles fans
What you saw was disgusting. It was Kids who were down around the stadium “taligaiting” before the game and embarrassing themselves as well as the city. None of whom probably had tickets. I wish the media would stop talking about all the negative and concentrate a lot more on the positive and this stuff would die out. The constantly bringing up bad behavior in the past perpetuates this terrible behavior. Things have gotten a lot better since the old 700 level days of vet stadium. Yet whenever the eagles make the playoffs or Phillies to some extent all the throwing snowballs and batteries stories come out. The media needs to let it go and stop hyping this behavior. The story about the travel agents 5 tips for traveling to the game and all the media (phili included ) need to let it go and let the last of this boorish behaviour die out. I hope everyone of the jerk off Kids I saw in the video screaming obscenities and giving the Vikings fans the finger in the parking lot get to enjoy what they actually look like with the clip all over the Internet. Trust me when I say that’s not the eagles fan base. Small part of it who get all the press.
2018-01-25 10:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

First of all, I'm also a Packers fan. GPG!

I work in the Twin Cities (live about 45 miles outside the cities), so I've heard AAALLLLL about this since Sunday. Every minute of every day. If even half of it is accurate, it's really unacceptable and a real blemish on what I'm sure are the good people of Philly.

I mean, the local sports radio show even said on Monday morning that the whole experience made them appreciate Packer fans! That's a serious condemnation of Eagles fans... lol

Edited by kelpeng 2018-01-25 10:58 AM
2018-01-25 11:09 AM
in reply to: kelpeng

I agree with both posts. Maybe the only thing I would say is that some of those "kids" looked to be in their 30's.

As it usually is, a group of people can tarnish the reputation of the majority. But, if it was truly not representative of the Philadelphia fan base, I would think the police would be eager to deal with those people, versus let it go. I had heard that if it wasn't a riot, there were just too many to deal with. So, I'm just not sure how much of a minority this was.

Gotta love the Pack. my son has been to numerous games at Lambeau when they played Minnesota and Detroit. The way he tells it, it is all good natured razzing and hanging out in the tailgating area. Fans are pretty nice and respectful to each other, which is the way it shoud be.
2018-01-25 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Geez you said you weren't going to put everyone in the same bucket then went ahead and did it anyway. I was there for both playoff games and yes it was noon somewhere when we started and it was just an awesome atmosphere. I was in 3 different lots talking with folks/friends both games and didn't see anything that would make me shake my head.... well at least not from the type of behavior the media likes to indicate is how the entire stadium at an Eagles game acts. Such a small percentage acting out and tough, still unacceptable, but not unlike many, many other stadiums I've been to (haven't been to GB yet). I mean try going to Oakland, Jets, Ravens, Cleveland even as bad as they are, etc. Like Goggles said a very small and younger group(s) of folks trying to live up to some macho reputation and not even part of the fans in the stadium make it easy to spin the narrative I get it. I'm not sure when some of the things you heard about or saw occurred but after the game way too many people out in the streets for the police to do much other than if it turned into some form of a "riot". Not a good idea to try and control that many people, who are really just celebrating, with force in any city at least not as a good standard practice.

As far as other people and fans buying into the Eagle fan narrative good the less fans from other teams in the stadium the better as that place was rocking and obviously a very difficult place to play the last 2 weeks.

Edited by colesdad 2018-01-25 2:00 PM
2018-01-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: colesdad

I can sure respect your opinion and I'm sure things can get pretty interesting in the other cities you mentioned also. Having said that, you can't really water this down.
The difference is Philly (in my opinion) likes their bad-assery perception and thinks this is OK. I'm not sure how many cities have to go out and grease the light poles to help keep things under control. Yes, the media loves to sensationalize stuff like this. But unless they were staging these incidents, there was plenty of footage out there to support the allegations of awful behavior.

Minority of fans or majority depends on what you consider these to be. In a stadium with 70,000 people, how many A-Holes are acceptable, and how many is out of bounds?

If the majority are nice, good natured fans, why not call out the "small" number that are completely out of control? If they are wearing a jersey of a team you like and respect, why do you want to see them acting that way, and giving everyone a bad rap?

If the fans in Philly acted like the players, they would be the classiest and most professional fans in the country. I'll end it with that compliment. And don't forget....I'm for the Eagles all the way in the Super Bowl!!

2018-01-28 7:09 AM

User image

Because of their past it’s easy to pick on Eagles fans. I’m not saying there still aren’t some idiots and it’s easy to point them out from some of the videos. But they are isolated incidents. You and the medi are concentrating on the few bad actors and not the masses. So the police greased the light poles. Why do you or anyone really care? Know why they did it ? Because in the past people have climbed them to see better and the police don’t want anyone to get hurt. You would think by the media and people’s reaction it was to prevent snipers from climbing up there. Out of the 6 arrests , 3 were for counterfeit tickets. Let me ask this question, what fan base lead the nfl in arrests this season, the giants. What west coast city has had fans murdered in the parking lot as well as severely beaten. Take a look at Toronto and what happens there when the maple leafs loose. Hopefully that last one doesn’t come back to haunt me after sunday! Lastly with the fans pouring into the streets after last Sunday’s win, how many problems were there. Philly isn’t the only city where people take to the streets to celebrate after a major win. Which FTR I think Ian pretty dumb to begin with but to each his own. It’s time to let this tired old story go to rest because frankly that’s what keeps the last of this idiotic behaviour alive. Signed survivor of the 700 level of the vet and the spectrum
2018-01-28 4:33 PM
in reply to: #5236051

User image

Baton Rouge
I ran the Philadelphia marathon last year and there was a guy in the corral with me that had a shirt that said "We're from Philly and we fight". As long as belligerence is seen as toughness then that attitude will be around.
2018-01-29 7:25 AM
in reply to: Kugie

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
How about this I'll give you a first hand report on how the fans do in Minnesota since I just got tickets and all my arrangements made. Though maybe I should be a bit scared about going to Minny since they are plotting their revenge with rogue Uber drivers and food workers to spit in philly fans food. Just shows that that there is that "guy" everywhere and the video(s) of Eagles and Vikings fans shaking hands and hugging as the game ended isn't as good a story so buried behind "that guy" stories. To me it is akin to saying everyone in Chicago must be a murderer and everyone in NYC must pee in the Subway. Obviously not true as tons of fantastic people in both those great cities.
2018-01-29 6:07 PM

User image

Originally posted by KugieI ran the Philadelphia marathon last year and there was a guy in the corral with me that had a shirt that said "We're from Philly and we fight". As long as belligerence is seen as toughness then that attitude will be around.
That doesn’t mean what you think it means. Not fist fight rather fight to win. Philadelphia Phillies AKA Fighten Phillies. This is why this stuff is ridiculous.
2018-01-29 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5236386

User image

Baton Rouge
That makes sense, fight to win. Like Dave Schultz.

2018-01-30 8:42 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
The silly part is getting riled up about a bunch of rich guys in spandex. Anyone who feels they need to inflict violence on another human being on behalf of these rich guys in tights, needs to get a life of their own.
2018-01-31 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Not sure I understand the importance of these guys getting paid what the market bears for their skills/services but agree no excuse whatsoever for violence no matter the setting (save for someone endangering my family then all bets are off!).

Oh and E A G L E S!!!!!!! Just getting ready as going to the Sixers game on Friday before I head out early Saturday and expecting it to be one big pep rally.

Edited by colesdad 2018-01-31 12:41 PM
2018-02-01 12:51 AM
in reply to: colesdad

User image

Pro
Tejas
Maybe you're reading something into it that isn't there again?
2018-02-02 8:35 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

This has been a hot topic for me, too. I work in Minneapolis and am a sometimes Vikings fan (life long Minnesota fan, born and raised).  My husband grew up near Philly and is an Eagles fan turned Vikings fan (he's lived here 40 years) and I have been to Philly a number of times with him, we have family there, etc.

The local news did a short segment last night with an Eagles fan who tried to say it was not a big deal.  Well, until it is I guess...  I think taking them out of Philly will help a lot.

I have been hoping that the beer can throwing jerks don't have the means to come to the Super Bowl.  However, I also heard about someone who was beat up in the bathroom inside the stadium at the Vikings/Eagles game.   I am trying to find an article about that now - maybe it was not true or embellished.    

I think that Minnesota is going to be really nice (at least on the outside) to the Philly fans.  I don't think I could say the same if the Vikes had made it to the big game.  However, when people have been drinking for hours...  we will see.     I think everyone will be too cold to take action.  Suckers! 

2018-02-02 10:38 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Google “football fans fight in stadium bathrooms”. Let me know what the top results are ? This non sense with the Eagles fans being the worst is so blown over the top.

2018-02-02 1:14 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Google “football fans fight in stadium bathrooms”. Let me know what the top results are ? This non sense with the Eagles fans being the worst is so blown over the top.[/QUO

It's not nonsense. You are trying to say (I think) that fans from every team are just as bad as Eagles fans-just not true. Believe what you want I guess. A point you don't seem to want to acknowledge: Packers fans and Vikings fans don't go around proclaiming they are "bad" and wearing it like a badge. Philly fans do, and they love it.
2018-02-03 6:21 PM

User image

That’s great, packers fan can call themselves what ever they want. It is total non sense. When this BS keeps getting rehashed then every little thing here gets blown out of proportion. Every little thing is a major incident. Google Packers fan fight. First hit Packers fan getting pummeled in Dallas. Please point out when someone was killed here or paralized. Not sure I said it takes place in every city. But I did say we are not the worst and it definitely happens a lot of other places also. The funny thing is I’m from Philly, I go to games here and have been for decades. I know what it’s really like here. As opposed to a friend of a friend who heard about a friends cousins bad experience here. Way to paint an entire fan base with one wide brush stroke = total non sense !
2018-02-04 12:10 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Google Packers fan fight. First hit Packers fan getting pummeled in Dallas.

Are you implying that Dallas fans are the worst in the nation then?

Edit to add,

and enjoy the game everyone. Remember, it's just entertainment, a game. Sure hope the commercials are good this year!

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-04 12:13 PM
2018-02-05 7:08 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Tejas
Quite the show of offense from both teams last night. Another Brady nail biter down to the last play. I thought for sure that hail Mary he threw was going to connect somehow. Looks like there are going to be some sick calls in Philly today.

Someone mentioned greasing street poles?

(Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 7.03.56 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 7.03.56 AM.png (263KB - 9 downloads)
2018-02-05 9:38 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Honestly,
If you want to say that all fans are the same, go for it. ANY fans that get out of control and cause violence should be locked up. I don't consider CNN or Fox news a friend of a friends cousin.
I don't live in Philly. I totally admit that.
The Eagles won last night-the team I was rooting for by the way. As far as I am concerned, let the fans destroy your great city in celebration! Since there are no opposing teams in the city, maybe they can pummel each other!

2018-02-05 10:16 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I never understood why people react with violence and destruction to what should be a happy, celebratory event like a Super Bowl win (not that I'm condoning such behavior for a loss).  Why destroy innocent people's cars and property?  Why loot?  Why fight?  Why act like complete maniacs?  Tearing down light poles, street lights, signs, etc.  I get alcohol and crowd mentality heavily play into it but still...

2018-02-05 11:05 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Hey Goggles - E-A-G-L-E-S!!!!! Just had a blast with all the Eagles peeps in Minny and look forward to hanging out with probably a few million of my closest friends at the parade!
2018-02-05 12:51 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Hey Goggles, let me guess.....they riot, burn things, overturn cars, throw rocks, jump from hotel awnings, climb on police cars, tear down light poles in every city in America that wins the Super Bowl right?? Sure they do!!! Why, Philly is no different than Mayberry

2018-02-05 1:30 PM

User image

2000 - LA post lakers victory 1984 - Detroit 1990 - Detroit again2011 - Vancouver post Canucks1993 - Montreal1979 - Chicago 1998 - Denver2004 - Boston 1992 - Chicago* virtually after every big soccer game played ! (Sort of kidding)Before saying something dumb like that try the internet first. Took me 5 seconds to pull that up.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Eagles fans Rss Feed  

of 2