General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medium to Large Speed Concept Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-27 1:31 PM

Subject: Medium to Large Speed Concept Help
So I just bought my first tri bike, Never been on one before, So I was searching all over and found what I was told was a Large Frame Speed Concept. It felt small to me but had never been on a tri bike so didn't think anything of it since the guy said it was a large. Well I get it home (3.5 hours away) and spend the money to get fitted. Well the frame is a medium and feels small. What can I do to remedy this without having to buy another bike? The tritone saddle is almost all the way back. I think this saddle can't go back as far as others but don't want to drop more money into it either you know. Looking for some newbie advice. thanks

How far over the front should one be on a tri bike? How much front axle should you see?

The fitter said we got pretty close on what the specs should be but I still feel over the front, is this normal?

Thanks

2018-01-28 1:53 PM
in reply to: resqd1

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Medium to Large Speed Concept Help

(First a side note: I just came back to this site on a lark, after years away.  I have to say, it is much much slower than it was.  I'm too busy to post more than once in a blue moon, but here goes.)

1.  If you have good reason to trust the fitter, then go with it for now; give yourself time to get used to it.  If you cannot get used to it (after, say, 200 miles in the saddle), then something is probably wrong -- could be simply too extreme of an aero position for your flexibility and experience, or a bad fit generally (either due to the fitter or due to the fact that you just don't fit on the bike).

2.  If you've never been on a tri bike before then yes, you will feel a bit awkward and 'forward'.

3.  If the bike is too small, this feeling will be exacerbated.

4.  There's not a lot that you can do, past a certain point, if the bike is too small.  You will feel cramped on it and you will not have full power and you will be sorely tempted to sit up.  (You would probably be sorely tempted to sit up when you are first learning to ride in the aero position in any case, so at first it is going to be hard to distinguish 'bad fit' from 'learning aero.')

If the bike really is too small for you, then you'd really be best off selling it and getting a larger one.  That's a painful prospect, I'm sure, but not nearly as painful as a bad fit over months and years of training and racing.

2018-01-28 4:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Medium to Large Speed Concept Help

Originally posted by resqd1

So I just bought my first tri bike, Never been on one before, So I was searching all over and found what I was told was a Large Frame Speed Concept. It felt small to me but had never been on a tri bike so didn't think anything of it since the guy said it was a large. Well I get it home (3.5 hours away) and spend the money to get fitted. Well the frame is a medium and feels small. What can I do to remedy this without having to buy another bike? The tritone saddle is almost all the way back. I think this saddle can't go back as far as others but don't want to drop more money into it either you know. Looking for some newbie advice. thanks

How far over the front should one be on a tri bike? How much front axle should you see?

The fitter said we got pretty close on what the specs should be but I still feel over the front, is this normal?

Thanks

When you got your fit, did you get stack and reach numbers?  A good fitter would have given you those numbers.

If you have stack/reach you can look at the geometry of the SC and see where your numbers line up.

IF - and that  can be a VERY big if - your fitter is a good fitter, him/her saying you were pretty close would be somewhat comforting.  If you didn't pay at least a couple hundred dollars or more for you fit session then you may have gotten what you paid for.

Next step - ride the bike, going to a TT bike, even a perfectly fit TT bike from a road bike is going to feel awkward.  Put some miles on it and get past that initial awkwardness.  If you have stack/reach post those numbers.  Maybe post a picture of you on the bike.  There are some pretty knowledgeable people here that can look at a picture and offer an opinion on how your fit is.  Mind you, that isn't a replacement for a proper fit, but if your bike is way too small, it will likely be obvious in a picture.

Edited by k9car363 2018-01-28 4:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Medium to Large Speed Concept Help Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Large racer looking at new bike. Speed concept or Fuji norcom

Started by JonP9576
Views: 764 Posts: 4

2017-09-22 1:38 PM gary p

social media "bib" profiles for races

Started by jhaack39
Views: 4220 Posts: 10

2017-07-29 10:02 AM ThomasGerlach ProTri

Speed Concept rear wheel Removal?

Started by jareed58
Views: 1678 Posts: 3