Other Resources The Political Joe » Special Council Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-01-30 11:37 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Special Council
I've been reading about some members of Congress talking about making a law that prohibits the POTUS from firing a special council. But I don't think that would be constitutional. The Legislative branch cannot just pass a law and take away Executive branch powers granted in the constitution. This is called separation of powers.

But here is a thought. What if the SC was appointed by Congress and not the DOJ? Then they would report to Congress.

IDK enough about constitutional law to know if this would be 'legal' or not.

2018-01-30 11:51 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Special Council

Originally posted by Rogillio I've been reading about some members of Congress talking about making a law that prohibits the POTUS from firing a special council. But I don't think that would be constitutional. The Legislative branch cannot just pass a law and take away Executive branch powers granted in the constitution. This is called separation of powers. But here is a thought. What if the SC was appointed by Congress and not the DOJ? Then they would report to Congress. IDK enough about constitutional law to know if this would be 'legal' or not.

I'm not really sure how the current rules are, but there's problems no matter who appoints them because of the potential targets of the SP.  For example if congress is being investigated you don't want congress being the ones deciding if and who the SP should be.  Same thing with our current situation where the executive branch is being investigated, you don't want the executive branch or DOJ being the one assigning and choosing the SP.
As I've said many times before, our number one issue with our Republic is that the system enables the fox to guard the hen house.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Special Council Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Special Counsel

Started by Rogillio
Views: 612 Posts: 9

2017-05-19 1:35 PM Rogillio