Other Resources The Political Joe » article by a former member of fly over country Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-06 1:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: article by a former member of fly over country

2018-02-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: article by a former member of fly over country
Why would anyone freak out over one man’s opinions? Do not put too much stock in anyone’s opinion grassahoppa. Learn to think for yourself and draw your own opinions about the world you live in and accept the fact that not everyone thinks as you do or is of the same mind. It’s ok that not everyone believes like you do and have different paradigms, beliefs, values and feelings. We are all different and have lived thru experiences. I believe every man is my superior in that I may learn from him. If nothing else you can learn that people see the world differently. Listen and learn from everyone....especially those you vehemently disagre with. The article must have spoken to you and you seem very please to find someone with whom you share common beliefs. I am happy for you. Don’t assume others will read what you read and have an epiphany or freak out because someone has an opinion.
2018-02-06 6:50 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

read the whole thing before freaking out. then you're free to freak out

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/

Hah, somebody really pee'd in that guys cereal when he was a kid. 

Here's a fun exercise.  Re-read the article, but substitute the word White with Black and then tell me how it feels?
In the majority of his rant, he's really describing his own shortcomings and proves himself to be quite the racist/bigot.  I don't fault him for that because he has every right to hate on people, but it's amusing to picture him looking down his arrogant nose while typing that article of ignorance.
One key word he kept using was "They".  It's very common when you're justifying racist or bigoted beliefs to group people of a race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc and then lump them all together with the lowest common denominator you find displeasing and then treat them accordingly.  This is the exact same logic that lead to generations of anti-black racism, anti-semitism, etc. 

If you believe this way Dave, then I encourage you to get out more and travel to the mid-west and get to know the real people here. 

I'm certainly not freaked out by this guy because I know there's a lot of hate in the world.  I do pray for him and encourage others who think like him to hate less and be more accepting of those that are different than you.

2018-02-06 6:59 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Meh...he paints flyover inhabitants with a very broad brush and uses exactly the same attacks on them that he accuses them of using.  

2018-02-06 7:27 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I suggest reading Hillbilly Elegy, a really well written memoir of JD Vance's childhood in Kentucky and Ohio. A lot more insightful and intellectual than this piece.
2018-02-06 7:41 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

Thanks for the laugh, Dave.....truly.  I needed that. 

2018-02-06 7:48 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Oysterboy I suggest reading Hillbilly Elegy, a really well written memoir of JD Vance's childhood in Kentucky and Ohio. A lot more insightful and intellectual than this piece.

I'm not familiar with those books, but I always get annoyed when people write with an edge of superiority like this guy did.
People are just different no matter where they live.  I wouldn't criticize a culture of people who live in the mountains of Brazil any more than I would a goof ball who lives in Florida (oh wait, I think I just did).
We all have very unique life experiences and exposures that make us great individually.  I have a good friend who grew up in Seattle and he hates living in Omaha because he LOVES the hustle and bustle of the big city.  He longs for the noises and congestion.  I grew up in small town Iowa and absolutely hate big city living.  Am I better than him?  Is he better than me?  Of course not, neither one of us are.  We simply like different things for different reasons.

2018-02-07 6:56 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by dmiller5

read the whole thing before freaking out. then you're free to freak out

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/02/insider-explains-rural-christian-white-america-dark-terrifying-underbelly/

Hah, somebody really pee'd in that guys cereal when he was a kid. 

Here's a fun exercise.  Re-read the article, but substitute the word White with Black and then tell me how it feels?
In the majority of his rant, he's really describing his own shortcomings and proves himself to be quite the racist/bigot.  I don't fault him for that because he has every right to hate on people, but it's amusing to picture him looking down his arrogant nose while typing that article of ignorance.
One key word he kept using was "They".  It's very common when you're justifying racist or bigoted beliefs to group people of a race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc and then lump them all together with the lowest common denominator you find displeasing and then treat them accordingly.  This is the exact same logic that lead to generations of anti-black racism, anti-semitism, etc. 

If you believe this way Dave, then I encourage you to get out more and travel to the mid-west and get to know the real people here. 

I'm certainly not freaked out by this guy because I know there's a lot of hate in the world.  I do pray for him and encourage others who think like him to hate less and be more accepting of those that are different than you.

Eggzactly!! That is the very definition of racism.

I read in a lot of forums where people claim all Christians are hypocrites but it's likely they never belonged to a church and got to know the people and worked beside them at the homeless shelter or spent hours with them helping the community after the storm. They likely had a bad experience with one or more 'bad' Christians and for the rest of their lives have decided all or most Christians are the same.

2018-02-07 7:22 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Oysterboy I suggest reading Hillbilly Elegy, a really well written memoir of JD Vance's childhood in Kentucky and Ohio. A lot more insightful and intellectual than this piece.

I'm not familiar with those books, but I always get annoyed when people write with an edge of superiority like this guy did.
People are just different no matter where they live.  I wouldn't criticize a culture of people who live in the mountains of Brazil any more than I would a goof ball who lives in Florida (oh wait, I think I just did).
We all have very unique life experiences and exposures that make us great individually.  I have a good friend who grew up in Seattle and he hates living in Omaha because he LOVES the hustle and bustle of the big city.  He longs for the noises and congestion.  I grew up in small town Iowa and absolutely hate big city living.  Am I better than him?  Is he better than me?  Of course not, neither one of us are.  We simply like different things for different reasons.

You'ld have to read the book but I absolutely did not get the idea that Vance was writing from a standpoint of moral superiority. Rather to the opposite, he is trying to provide a narrative by which all of us can understand where his relatives of hillbilly background (his word - and not in a pejorative sense) come from.
2018-02-07 7:31 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Thanks for the laugh, Dave.....truly.  I needed that. 

phew i was worried that no one would lol at my trolling

2018-02-07 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Rawstory. It's like MSNBC, only further left. Who funds this thing, the Klan?

I did get a kick out of the clickbait story titled, " Jim Carrey just deleted his FB page and he wants you to, too." To, too? Ettu, tu Jim Carrey?

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » article by a former member of fly over country Rss Feed