Other Resources The Political Joe » Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2018-02-14 10:23 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!!
Another day, another massacre.
The most important thing to remember is that the lives of 17 children...the lives of the hundreds gunned down through the years...are a small price to pay to protect our 2nd amendment rights! smh.

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-whe...

The Onion nails this issue.

2018-02-14 11:34 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!!
Still idolizing the poster boy for domestic violence?
2018-02-15 5:43 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Expert
Floriduh
As a gun owner, but Lord knows NOT an NRA member, I do think the time has come to make some inroads on this problem. Given 2nd amendment rights there are limits, but I do think some common sense measures could be put in place that would mitigate situations like these. I don't think we can stop them altogether, but I do think we can limit the carnage. But we need the resolve to address the problem other than just rhetoric and offering the solution that everyone needs to be armed. Heck, we haven't even done anything about bump stocks.
2018-02-15 6:11 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Pro

At this point it's a security issue.....forget about reigning in guns or making more laws so guns are harder to get.  GUNS ARE REALLY EASY TO GET BECAUSE THERE ARE 500,000,000 OR MORE OF THEM IN OUR SOCIETY.  It's time to stop arguing about the availability of guns, that horse has left the barn and isn't coming back.  We need to have serious discussions and then implement serious security measures at our schools.  The rest of the noise is just that, more noise.

2018-02-15 6:18 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I do have the feeling that this problem is getting closer to me. First, my daughter lives in Orlando. She has been to the Pulse nightclub. She wasn’t there THAT night but she could have been. Second, when she was in high school she was in a very competitive marching band program. If you have had a kid in this kind of program, you know that it is like sports and you know the schools that will be competitive year in-year out. Stoneman Douglas was one of those competitors for us. I have talked with band parents from Stoneman Douglas, I cannot imagine the pain they felt if they had a child in school yesterday.

I agree Lefty, our society is at saturation now, but we could make some changes now that could have some impact in the future. Limiting magazine capacity is one, but you are right, this will not instantly mean that high capacity magazines will disappear tomorrow.
2018-02-15 8:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
A look at the numbers of deaths in America from all sources including firearms from the CDC...not the media:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

The actual report with breakdowns of how people die, what people and every other variable imageinable:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr65/nvsr65_04.pdf

My two cents: Mass shootings are awful, but make such a low percentage of deaths..statistically speaking they are irrelevant in comparison to the overall number. I know that sounds cold hearted but the numbers are the numbers.

Accidental shootings, suicide, etc. is a more prolific issue with firearms. If, we are to discount all the other ways people are killed in America and simply focus on firearms...proper training and storage and screening for mental health issues will solve the overwhelming issue. You will save a tremendous amount of people acting on this which makes up the lions share of deaths.

If you want to address the most heinous and media wide issue like mass shootings in lieu of the actual numbers then I don't know what the answer is.

Edited by TheCrownsOwn 2018-02-15 8:20 AM

2018-02-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
In Canada, we have mandatory training for firearms. 3 levels: Unrestricted, Restricted and Prohibited. It is treated more like a drivers licence in which you take the course then the test and get that level. Its not perfect, there is always meddling by government or lobbyists but overall the system kinda works.

We still have mass shootings, we still have killings.
2018-02-15 8:56 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Champion
Alabama
Totally agree that there is no way to contain guns. Anyone can get guns. Anyone! I have been shopping for a trailer for my ATV at FB marketplace. You cannot place ads for guns per the rules but people do all the time. Just don't call them guns. Call them 'sporting equipment' or hunting gears. I have also noticed that people selling ATVs are the types of people most likely to be willing to trade guns or take guns on trade, etc. The fallacy behind background checks and waiting periods it those laws only apply to dealers. The government has no authority to control or regulate the transfer or guns between to private individuals. My stepfather was an avid gun collector and also a garage sale nut. He bought hundreds of guns at garage sales. Often times there were no guns out so he'd ask the homeowner if they had an guns or fishing gear for sale and very often they did.

Even if the US stopped the manufacture and sales of guns in the US today it would be a 100 years before guns became hard to acquire.

So then what to do? Security. Remember the days when you could just walk to the gate at the airport.....with your Bowie knife in your carry on bag? Times changed and we had to change with it. Now you go thru metal detectors and/or body scanners.

I think schools need to:

1. Hire a full time professionally trained security guard.

2. Ingress into the schools need to be thru one door with everyone going thru a scanner.

3. All exterior doors need to alarmed

4. Teachers need to be trained on how to identify students 'most likely to go postal'.

5. All students and faculty need active shooter training

6. Security cameras need to be in every room and every hall and the video fed to the security officer

7. Certain doors need to be able to be closed remotely

8. Teachers need to be trained and armed with tasers and have have a few stun grenades handy

OK, not all of these are feasible but these are the types of things that need to be discussed as far as making school safer.

2018-02-15 10:14 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Tejas
Security at a school will be almost as difficult as getting rid of the guns. The high school my kids go/went to is a sprawling campus with 3 roads coming in/out. The ag and mechanical programs have out buildings as do all the sports programs. The rule is to enter the campus, we need to wave at the security guy( I say guy, because I believe the gym teachers and janitors take turns sitting here, so not an actual trained guard) and we go trough the admin office door. It is a set of doors, with a foyer and then another set of doors. Both of which can be remotely locked by the woman manning the front desk. We show her ID then they contact your kid via a student runner or intercom. Unfortunately, like airport security, it's only there to give nice people the illusion of security. I've dropped my daughter her lunch behind the band hall on more than one occasion. A former student would likely know about all these back doors and avoid the front doors anyway. Another school, say a block building in a city, would be a snap to implement security measures in comparison.

Unspoken but implied security measures are that a lot of these kids and teachers are armed anyway. This school is in deep red 2A gun country. Should some wahoo get loose on the campus, he or she might get off 2 rounds before encountering a wall of lead. I believe their parents feel that dealing with the fallout of their kid killing a gunman on campus outweighs the risk of sending their kids to school capable of defending themselves. I'm not condoning this, it's just the way it is around here.

I think arming teachers with tasers and shotguns with bean bag rounds could be looked into. Flash bangs… I think might be a bit much, unless they're carried by uniformed LEOS tasked with securing the school. Around here, an armed sheriffs deputy would not be an issue and parents would overwhelmingly endorse such protection. These men and women are still respected and welcomed around here. Other areas of the country might view anyone in uniform with suspicion, arm that person and they are a source of contempt.
2018-02-15 10:29 AM

User image

Pro

Put  off-duty police officers or retired police officers outside that school, roving all entrances, wearing tactical gear and carrying an AR-15......that's no illusion of security for some dumbarse intent on shooting up the school.  It's going to cost a few bucks, but if you want an answer on how to stop almost all of the school shootings, there you go.

2018-02-15 10:52 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Put  off-duty police officers or retired police officers outside that school, roving all entrances, wearing tactical gear and carrying an AR-15......that's no illusion of security for some dumbarse intent on shooting up the school.  It's going to cost a few bucks, but if you want an answer on how to stop almost all of the school shootings, there you go.

If it cost a trillion dollars but saves even one life it is worth it. (assume sarc font)

2018-02-15 11:03 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

If it cost a trillion dollars but saves even one life it is worth it. (assume sarc font)

Look man, I'm not paying the bill, I'm on the other end. 

FYI - most of us can make nearly a 6 figure income of EXTRA MONEY working security details if we want to.....and we're not guarding a single person...it's just stuff, or buildings full of stuff, or whatever. 

It'll save more than one life, and it'll make schools a safe place for kids to be.

It makes me no difference.  I get paid when a school gets shot up and when it doesn't.  But at this point, more security is the only option. Otherwise, just live with it.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-15 11:04 AM
2018-02-15 11:19 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

FYI - most of us can make nearly a 6 figure income of EXTRA MONEY working security details if we want to.....and we're not guarding a single person...it's just stuff, or buildings full of stuff, or whatever. 

It'll save more than one life, and it'll make schools a safe place for kids to be.

It makes me no difference.  I get paid when a school gets shot up and when it doesn't.  But at this point, more security is the only option. Otherwise, just live with it.

I agree that will work. But unfortunately a workable solution is not what a lot of people are looking for here. Half the people in this country want to take semi-auto rifles and military tactical gear away from law enforcement. Put an officer in tactical gear with a 'black gun' on campus and people will literally lose their shiite. They really don't want a solution, they want the guns. Look at the OP. His solution is an unarmed populace, nothing less. For every logical solution you provide, they will come up with ten excuses why they don't want that.
2018-02-15 12:05 PM

User image

Pro

That's exactly right.

I wonder if a single one of those boneheads have given any thought to what disarming this country will cost?  Here's a hint.....it's one hell of a lot more than trillions.

2018-02-15 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Sarcasm aside, there has to be cost/benefit analysis. Seems to me funding a full time security guard position would give the most bang for the buck (pun intended). Or maybe put remotely operated stun devices throughout the building. Monitor everything with cameras. As cheap as camera systems are now every square inch of a school should be monitored. So if you have an active shooter you detonate the appropriate stun devices.

Or maybe develop some drones designed to sniff out gun smoke.....and destroy the person with the gun.

IDK, the thing to do is put out a RFP or request for proposal to industry and let them come up with ideas. Or award study contracts and allow companies to study schools and come up with suggestions on how to secure them.

Or.....just rant and rave about assault rifles. BTW anti-gun people don't understand simple economics and the inverse proportionality of supply and demand. Decrease in the supply of guns would increases the demand.....which means all you would ever do is increase the price of guns.

2018-02-15 1:04 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Champion
Alabama
For me to get to work I have to stop at the gate, hand my badge to a security guard who examines the badge and looks at me to make sure the photo on badge matched purdy mug then hands the badge back to me. To get into the building requires a different badge and a PIN. That gets you in the building. To get to my office area requires a badge with and RFID chip.

To get into my kids' HS I would simply walk in any one of the exterior doors. To get into their elementary school, you had to use the front entrance but it was never locked. I think we owe it to children to make schools safe.

2018-02-15 3:46 PM

User image

Pro
Does anybody see the point of putting emotionally distraught parents and others in front of a camera? For the record, I've been involved in a mass shooting and I heard very little in the first couple of days afterward that was helpful as we moved forward.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-15 3:50 PM
2018-02-15 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Originally posted by Left BrainDoes anybody see the point of putting emotionally distraught parents and others in front of a camera? For the record, I've been involved in a mass shooting and I heard very little in the first couple of days afterward that was helpful as we moved forward.
Ratings
2018-02-15 6:30 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by mdg2003

Still idolizing the poster boy for domestic violence?

Oh yes, how did you know?
I'm just happy he'd have no problem getting a job in the current administration.

No other developed nation on earth has this problem.
18 school shootings in 36 days...one every two days...Makin' America Great Again!
What's the number of dead kids in one of these that that would move the dial for the hardcore NRA folk 'round these parts?
50 dead kids? 80? 200?

2018-02-15 7:39 PM

User image

Elite

At this point it's a security issue.....forget about reigning in guns or making more laws so guns are harder to get.  GUNS ARE REALLY EASY TO GET BECAUSE THERE ARE 500,000,000 OR MORE OF THEM IN OUR SOCIETY.  It's time to stop arguing about the availability of guns, that horse has left the barn and isn't coming back.  We need to have serious discussions and then implement serious security measures at our schools.  The rest of the noise is just that, more noise.

Yes, yes, yes!
An armed guard in every room!
Perhaps trained attack dogs roaming the halls!
Forget school buses, we need tanks!
U S A !!! U S A !!!

How bout some bayonet tips on teachers' rifles to "gently convince" those who refuse to stand for the Pledge, to stand for the Pledge!

MAGA!

2018-02-16 12:15 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Yes, yes, yes! An armed guard in every room! Perhaps trained attack dogs roaming the halls! Forget school buses, we need tanks! U S A !!! U S A !!! How bout some bayonet tips on teachers' rifles to "gently convince" those who refuse to stand for the Pledge, to stand for the Pledge! MAGA!

Bro, I know you're emotional and I get it......but don't lose sight of the fact that gun sales and gun ownership grew under President Obama at a rate that was greater than at any other time in our history. MAGA indeed!

And I don't see a point of having an armed guard in every room, and dogs are better suited to hugs, but I can get behind prodding people to stand for the flag with a bayonet. My Grandpa, who fought his way across Tarawa with a bayonet, would have loved the poetic justice of a  gesture toward someone so ungrateful that they can't get off their arse to honor the flag of the country that allows them to freely be wherever they are sitting on their lazy arses.

As for as a solution to these school shootings, we can probably have a decent discussion after you are through with the vapors.....I'll wait on you.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-16 12:18 AM

2018-02-16 12:18 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I had him down as a Hillary or Bernie voter still suffering PEBH. Turns out, he's just another Trump fan. Beautiful.
2018-02-16 12:51 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw
Originally posted by Left BrainDoes anybody see the point of putting emotionally distraught parents and others in front of a camera? For the record, I've been involved in a mass shooting and I heard very little in the first couple of days afterward that was helpful as we moved forward.
Ratings

I guess that's right......not from me though, I turn it off.  Who wants to see parents at the lowest point of their lives? Leave them be.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-16 12:56 AM
2018-02-16 7:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Did anyone read the report from the CDC?

Basic security for a school makes sense. For a number of reasons,not necessarily for a shooting event. Locked perimeter doors, a security plan in place, controlled access at the main entrance, etc. In Ontario, under the Education Act, teachers..and the school have a standard of liability when your kid is put under their care. So they need to ensure strangers arnt wandering the halls, or have any access to the school without permission, etc.

However...the reality is..if someone wants to get into a school they are going to get in. Windows are glass....

As for the cost/benefit analysis for security for the actual number of people involved in a mass shooting event..you may not like the answer. Because media hype aside, it doesnt warrant the wild protection discussed. Mass shootings simply don't produce the number of deaths tha would warrant massive investment. Per the CDC report...that money should be invested elsewhere to prevent more deaths.

I do a lot of work for several school board in SW Ontario, my wife and brother are teachers. Every school has a plan for a variety of emergencies. A lock down is just one of many. A lot of the security measures implemented in the last decade (mag locks on front doors, etc.) are more for optics and a deterent than a real security measure. Scientific American and Psychology Today have written some great articles on what to do and what happens in a mass tragedy including a shooting. The "shelter in place" conventional thought is evolving into something more....

2018-02-16 8:02 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Yes, yes, yes!
An armed guard in every room!
Perhaps trained attack dogs roaming the halls!
Forget school buses, we need tanks!
U S A !!! U S A !!!

How bout some bayonet tips on teachers' rifles to "gently convince" those who refuse to stand for the Pledge, to stand for the Pledge!

MAGA!

Now you're talkin'! I like the way you think.

Maybe if we made guns illegal the problem will simply go away.....like we did with heroine, crack, cocaine, prostitution, gambling....oh, and let's make the smoking and drinking age 19 or 21 to stop kids from smoking and drinking. We should also put speed limits on highways so people won't speed. And hey, let's make it illegal to drive while intoxicated! Think how many lives that would save every year!! We just need more laws....more laws....that is the key! Only the gubment can keep us safe and it all starts with more laws......and less liberty. Yes, I am sure that is the answer.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!! Rss Feed  

of 5