Other Resources The Political Joe » Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2018-02-19 7:15 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!!

Our district pays for a school resource officer to be on premises, that doesn't bother me. 

I'm more concerned with the mindset of the assailant and what has made them that way.

2018-02-19 8:46 PM
in reply to: #5237921

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Is that resource officer armed? Only one?
2018-02-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Oysterboy Is that resource officer armed? Only one?

Yes he is armed. We're a small school in a rural community.

173 students in the entire school k-12.

23 students in the senior class this year. 

The entire district is in one building. 

2018-02-19 9:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Trigal, I wish I had a bunch of answers for you, but I don't.  I'm happy to tell you my experience and what I tell/teach my own children.

First, by way of understanding, I was one of the first 10 officers into a mass shooting in which an azzhole killed 2 police officers, 3 council members and the mayor of the city where I work.  I was on my way home when my radio went off and my guys had already stormed the chambers and killed the azzhole by the time I got back there.  I dealt with the investigation of it, along with the interviews of over 40 people who were present.  It gave me some insight as you can imagine.

Second, I run the school resource officers program at my department, along with other duties and responsibilities.  We have a 3400 student High School, 2 middle schools of over 1800 students, and 5 grade schools.  We have one officer in the high school, one in each middle school, and a roving officer that covers the grade schools.

Third, I am the lead firearms instructor at my department and lead the development of training programs for critical incident response.

Last (actually first by a long shot), I am the father of 5.  The last two still in public school are twin girls who are seniors in high school......I know their fears intimately.

Our city council chambers was shot up by a disgruntled citizen that we all knew well.  We all  had dealt with him in many situations, and knew that he was falling into a pretty deep battle with the City.  The council chambers are literally 50 yards from the police station.  He first killed an officer who was walking across the street to get a pizza, took his gun, and walked into the council chambers carrying 2 pistols behind a placard he was carrying in protest of one of his many issues with the City.  He walked into the chambers, up to the Police officer who was on guard duty that night, dropped the placard and shot him in the head.  He then shot the city building commissioner, then the mayor, then a council woman who was crawling away, then walked behind the dias and began to shoot council members who were hiding there.  Our city attorney, seeing this, jumped up and began to throw chairs toward the azzhole.  he threw everything he could get his hands on as he made his way to the door, and as he ran out, Officers responding to the screaming and people pouring out of the building charged into the chamber and killed the azzhole.  From the time he walked into the chambers until he was killed was 51 seconds.  We were too late to save 5 people and we were 50 yards away. 

I teach my children to run at the sound of gunfire.  if they happen to be on the 1st or 2nd floor I have taught them, and showed them, how to break windows and jump, and then run.  If they are on a higher floor I have taught them to run for the opposite stairwell of where they hear shooting, if possible.  If not, because the shooting is in the hallway, I have taught them to barricade their door, arm themselves with whatever they can come up with, and prepare to fight.  The training that we now do with all of our schools in based on the idea of "run, hide, fight".....and the basics are what I teach my daughters.  I also teach them to prepare to lead the charge if needed, because I can tell you, you can't know how anyone will respond to that situation and you absolutely cannot count on them saving you.....especially if you are at the age my kids are and capable of fighting if need be.  I have gone so far as to wrestle with my daughters so they know what a man's strength will feel like to them.....they had no idea but they have at least SOME idea now.

You are in a different boat.  You have 2nd graders......none of them will fight.  You will have to break the windows and get them out, or barricade them in the room, and maybe ultimately fight for them.  What you have going for you is that these shootings ALMOST never happen at grade schools.....yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me when it did.

Your school resource officer MIGHT happen to be in the right place if it does happen.....God, I hope so.  if not, understand that we are coming, and we will kill whoever is attacking you, but we will absolutely be late.....because this is all going to happen in a matter of minutes, or even seconds.  Until we get there you are on your own......practice...and move FAST, no matter if you are getting your kids out, barricading, or fighting.  Easy targets are what school shooters find.....don't be one!

Hopefully you and your co-workers have had ALICE training.  if not, ask your school resource officer about it.  If he doesn't know, contact me and I'll hook you up with a department or someone in your area who does it.  It's pretty basic, but it does cover the bases.

Thank you for teaching!  Your work is so important!  Don't be afraid to do your job.....fork these idiots.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-19 9:47 PM
2018-02-20 6:32 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Left Brain

Trigal, I wish I had a bunch of answers for you, but I don't.  I'm happy to tell you my experience and what I tell/teach my own children.

First, by way of understanding, I was one of the first 10 officers into a mass shooting in which an azzhole killed 2 police officers, 3 council members and the mayor of the city where I work.  I was on my way home when my radio went off and my guys had already stormed the chambers and killed the azzhole by the time I got back there.  I dealt with the investigation of it, along with the interviews of over 40 people who were present.  It gave me some insight as you can imagine.

Second, I run the school resource officers program at my department, along with other duties and responsibilities.  We have a 3400 student High School, 2 middle schools of over 1800 students, and 5 grade schools.  We have one officer in the high school, one in each middle school, and a roving officer that covers the grade schools.

Third, I am the lead firearms instructor at my department and lead the development of training programs for critical incident response.

Last (actually first by a long shot), I am the father of 5.  The last two still in public school are twin girls who are seniors in high school......I know their fears intimately.

Our city council chambers was shot up by a disgruntled citizen that we all knew well.  We all  had dealt with him in many situations, and knew that he was falling into a pretty deep battle with the City.  The council chambers are literally 50 yards from the police station.  He first killed an officer who was walking across the street to get a pizza, took his gun, and walked into the council chambers carrying 2 pistols behind a placard he was carrying in protest of one of his many issues with the City.  He walked into the chambers, up to the Police officer who was on guard duty that night, dropped the placard and shot him in the head.  He then shot the city building commissioner, then the mayor, then a council woman who was crawling away, then walked behind the dias and began to shoot council members who were hiding there.  Our city attorney, seeing this, jumped up and began to throw chairs toward the azzhole.  he threw everything he could get his hands on as he made his way to the door, and as he ran out, Officers responding to the screaming and people pouring out of the building charged into the chamber and killed the azzhole.  From the time he walked into the chambers until he was killed was 51 seconds.  We were too late to save 5 people and we were 50 yards away. 

I teach my children to run at the sound of gunfire.  if they happen to be on the 1st or 2nd floor I have taught them, and showed them, how to break windows and jump, and then run.  If they are on a higher floor I have taught them to run for the opposite stairwell of where they hear shooting, if possible.  If not, because the shooting is in the hallway, I have taught them to barricade their door, arm themselves with whatever they can come up with, and prepare to fight.  The training that we now do with all of our schools in based on the idea of "run, hide, fight".....and the basics are what I teach my daughters.  I also teach them to prepare to lead the charge if needed, because I can tell you, you can't know how anyone will respond to that situation and you absolutely cannot count on them saving you.....especially if you are at the age my kids are and capable of fighting if need be.  I have gone so far as to wrestle with my daughters so they know what a man's strength will feel like to them.....they had no idea but they have at least SOME idea now.

You are in a different boat.  You have 2nd graders......none of them will fight.  You will have to break the windows and get them out, or barricade them in the room, and maybe ultimately fight for them.  What you have going for you is that these shootings ALMOST never happen at grade schools.....yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me when it did.

Your school resource officer MIGHT happen to be in the right place if it does happen.....God, I hope so.  if not, understand that we are coming, and we will kill whoever is attacking you, but we will absolutely be late.....because this is all going to happen in a matter of minutes, or even seconds.  Until we get there you are on your own......practice...and move FAST, no matter if you are getting your kids out, barricading, or fighting.  Easy targets are what school shooters find.....don't be one!

Hopefully you and your co-workers have had ALICE training.  if not, ask your school resource officer about it.  If he doesn't know, contact me and I'll hook you up with a department or someone in your area who does it.  It's pretty basic, but it does cover the bases.

Thank you for teaching!  Your work is so important!  Don't be afraid to do your job.....fork these idiots.

I don't know how you do it, your work I mean. 

I taught preschool for 13 years, stayed home to take care of my own kids for 8 years and dipped my foot back into full time work at the school as an aide 3 years ago. My first day back to work after 8 years at home was our ALICE training to start the school year. The officer played audio from one of the shootings. I almost had an anxiety attack - got hot, dizzy, sick to my stomach and thought what am I signing up for?  He also showed a diagram of Virginia tech, how many in each room and if the doors were locked/barricaded. Yes, we've had the training but like you describe this all happens so fast. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your service to the community. I will be taking another look at the classrooms I teach in at work today. 

2018-02-20 7:26 AM

User image

Pro

Look, it's really as simple as training your brain.  The way you do that is you mentally go to that place you fear, in your head, a couple of times a day.  It's a short exercise.  Some time in the morning, while the kids you teach are busy with something, imagine that you hear shots coming from wherever you want to imagine them coming from.  Look around you. What can you do?  Where can you go?  What do you have at your disposal? Who can help? Do it again in the afternoon.  It takes a very short few minutes but those exercises, if practiced enough, become the way your brain will work if something does happen.  Have some plans, and practice them in your head.  It will almost certainly never happen to you, but if it does you will be surprised how automatic your response will be.

I did it for years and years as a young Police Officer and actually ended up needing to use force much less than many of my fellow officers.  I'm convinced it's because I rarely put myself in a bad position, and acted quickly and decisively when things went sideways.....because I had been there many times in my head.

Make it a habit for yourself.......and do it every day.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-20 7:27 AM

2018-02-20 7:45 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Can't help but think even crazy people would be a little less inclined to go postal at this school.

(Armed.png)

Attachments
----------------
Armed.png (553KB - 4 downloads)
2018-02-20 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
We have an active shooter video we watch annually as part of recurrent training. That's it. No drills, no visit from trained officers for one on one, live instruction. It seems to me that the airport PD could handle this training and it would be more engaging and productive than reviewing a video we've all seen 20 times.

One of our pilots lost his 14 year old daughter last week in the Florida shooting. Corporate response was to make the active shooter training video mandatory this month, even if you just completed your annual recurrent training. We're getting a pop up message when we login to access workgroup programs, that pop up must be closed to proceed any further into the system. I pray to god that the company had the foresight to get the IT guys to disable this requirement for Capt. Montalto.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-20 8:42 AM
2018-02-20 10:10 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by mdg2003

One side is busy pretending to come up with a solution and the other is busy organizing and funding the march on DC; another hollow 'grass roots' movement, well intentioned, but still lacking the honest to god pizzed off citizens looking for answers drive. Yes, these kids and parents are truly are upset and want to make a statement, but the strings of the puppeteer will be visible for all to see. Expect 24/7 coverage of the march as it unfolds. The MSM will use the same focus and intensity they put into trying to squelch the Tea Party movement, into promoting this cause. Look for the usual suspects and celebrities to take the podium and 'lead' the drive. Revealing the true motive of their funding and support; unseating republicans and regaining lost ground of the last several election cycles.

Annnnnnnnd, here we go - https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/nra-pvf-contributions-florid...

Pictures of innocent kids and pictures of republicans that took NRA donations.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-20 10:12 AM
2018-02-20 10:28 AM

User image

Pro

One side is busy pretending to come up with a solution and the other is busy organizing and funding the march on DC; another hollow 'grass roots' movement, well intentioned, but still lacking the honest to god pizzed off citizens looking for answers drive. Yes, these kids and parents are truly are upset and want to make a statement, but the strings of the puppeteer will be visible for all to see. Expect 24/7 coverage of the march as it unfolds. The MSM will use the same focus and intensity they put into trying to squelch the Tea Party movement, into promoting this cause. Look for the usual suspects and celebrities to take the podium and 'lead' the drive. Revealing the true motive of their funding and support; unseating republicans and regaining lost ground of the last several election cycles. Annnnnnnnd, here we go - https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/nra-pvf-contributions-florid... Pictures of innocent kids and pictures of republicans that took NRA donations.

I got a pretty good laugh out of that this morning myself.  I read CNN every day, they are friggin' shameless for sure.  Most of the contributions are 1000.00 or so.  I get a pretty big kick out of that since CNN always tries to use the "NRA has politicians in their pocket" routine.  LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Who can I get and control for 1000.00??  I'm serious, I want my own politician dammit, and I've got a spare grand sitting around.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-20 10:39 AM
2018-02-20 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

One side is busy pretending to come up with a solution and the other is busy organizing and funding the march on DC; another hollow 'grass roots' movement, well intentioned, but still lacking the honest to god pizzed off citizens looking for answers drive. Yes, these kids and parents are truly are upset and want to make a statement, but the strings of the puppeteer will be visible for all to see. Expect 24/7 coverage of the march as it unfolds. The MSM will use the same focus and intensity they put into trying to squelch the Tea Party movement, into promoting this cause. Look for the usual suspects and celebrities to take the podium and 'lead' the drive. Revealing the true motive of their funding and support; unseating republicans and regaining lost ground of the last several election cycles.

Annnnnnnnd, here we go - https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/19/politics/nra-pvf-contributions-florid...

Common dawg, what did you expect? NRA plays this game too.

Edited by Oysterboy 2018-02-20 10:31 AM

2018-02-20 10:40 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Just pointing out that I DID expect it.
2018-02-20 10:44 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

I got a pretty good laugh out of that this morning myself.  I read CNN every day, they are friggin' shameless for sure.  Most of the contributions are 1000.00 or so.  I get a pretty big kick out of that since CNN always tries to use the "NRA has politicians in their pocket" routine.  LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Who can I get and control for 1000.00??  I'm serious, I want my own politician dammit, and I've got a spare grand sitting around.

I'm going to save my new crumbs for a few months and buy 4 or 5 politicians. If they're only a grand apiece in Fla. think what my money could buy here in Tejas...
2018-02-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

I'm thinking I could get one for a couple hundred bucks here in Mo.  My daughters are headed off in August so I need one who can do dishes and laundry.

2018-02-20 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I'm thinking I could get one for a couple hundred bucks here in Mo.  My daughters are headed off in August so I need one who can do dishes and laundry.

Wait...your kids do laundry and dishes? Jeez, my daughter thinks doing dishes is putting them in the sink.
2018-02-20 10:53 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Wait...your kids do laundry and dishes? Jeez, my daughter thinks doing dishes is putting them in the sink.

Yours actually put them in the sink? Small victory when mine find the kitchen.

2018-02-20 10:55 AM

User image

Pro

I didn't say that......I simply said they are leaving and I'd like someone to do dishes and laundry.

2018-02-20 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

I didn't say that......I simply said they are leaving and I'd like someone to do dishes and laundry.

Thank God, some sanity restored to this forum...now back to the feces flinging...
2018-02-20 1:57 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Aaaaaand we've given the movement a name. Oh look, Clooney!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/entertainment/george-amal-clooney-gun...
2018-02-20 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh

Aaaaaand we've given the movement a name. Oh look, Clooney!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/20/entertainment/george-amal-clooney-gun...

Waiting for Ted Nugent to weigh in any minute.
2018-02-20 6:47 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Waiting for Ted Nugent to weigh in any minute.

*snerk*

2018-02-21 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Whats disturbing about this...the NRA is a lobby group. They arnt trying to hide that, nor be anything else.

CNN...isn't supposed to be a lobby group. They are supposed to be a media outlet striving for responsible journalism. If its a game...its frightening....
2018-02-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: #5237921

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Many media outlets have taken “sides” in the divided climate we have in this country. They are doing this not necessarily in the name of objective journalism but in the interest of the bottom line.
2018-02-21 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Many media outlets have taken “sides” in the divided climate we have in this country. They are doing this not necessarily in the name of objective journalism but in the interest of the bottom line.

Agree but there is more to it than just $$. There are too many that are over zealous and passionate about their personal beliefs that they lose all objectivity. Most journalist majored in liberal arts so there is already an inherent bias. But journalist and "news" agencies ought to be able to report the news without passion or prejudice. It's ok to write op-eds to opine on issues but when reporting news they should put away their personal feelings on the matter and report the facts.

We live in the age of information and I think that is awesome. It is also the age of misinformation and deception and people use the media and social media to push their own agenda. Just read the MSNBC's Joy Reid received 267 total retweets by the Russian trolls trying to undermine the President. WTH do journalist tweet anyway?! Is that considered reporting now?

I read recently that CNN's ratings were down 30% from last year at this time. The shows I like the best are shows that are balanced. Most of CCN and MSNBC show only have liberals on their shows. Hannity is guilty of the same. He needs another Combs. And Fox's The Five is 4 to one. Who came up with that stupid idea?! I used to like CNN's Crossfire when Tucker Carlson was on there but for whatever reason that got canceled and Tucker left to join CNN. Tucker is far right but he's guests are usually far left and I enjoy the balance. Hannity is far right and then have on far right guests who just reiterate Hannity's positions.

2018-02-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: TheCrownsOwn

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by TheCrownsOwn

Whats disturbing about this...the NRA is a lobby group. They arnt trying to hide that, nor be anything else.

CNN...isn't supposed to be a lobby group. They are supposed to be a media outlet striving for responsible journalism. If its a game...its frightening....

Excellent point.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Love those weapons! AR-15s and Smoke Grenades!! Yay!!! Rss Feed  

of 5