General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training consistency Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-15 6:09 PM

Subject: Swim training consistency
Hello,
I’m also training for my 1st sprint tri in April. While I’ve biked and ran during various exercise crazes I have never formally swam laps. I have only been able to get to the pool on the weekend. The public pools here have really strange times opening late morning and close by 5pm. I do not have a job that allows flexibility to leave for lunch swim and by time I leave work and get to the pool I would have like 10 min for swim. I do live near the ocean and dabbled with open swims however dusk/dawn swims by myself has shark attack written all over it. Thought about joining the Y but didn’t want to spend the money just to use pool. I do not have any friends (at this time) who are interested either. Anyway I have noticed significant improvements in my swim but I’m wondering what I should do during the week to replace the swim. Should I do extra run /bike or focus strength training?

2018-02-16 12:15 PM
in reply to: Kateeliz33

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Swim training consistency

Originally posted by Kateeliz33

. . . Anyway I have noticed significant improvements in my swim but I’m wondering what I should do during the week to replace the swim. Should I do extra run /bike or focus strength training?

Swimming is highly technical.  You get better at swimming by swimming.  In a perfect world, you'd be swimming a minimum of 3-4 times per week.  While it's true that replacing the swim with a bike/run workout will help defer any fitness loss, it's also true that swimming technique and swim fitness are two sides of the same coin.  Meaning you can't really have one without the other.  You aren't going to build swim fitness or develop proper technique during a ride or a run.

If you want to become a better swimmer, my best advice is to a) find a way to get in the water more frequently, and b) get with a qualified coach/instructor for some lessons.

2018-02-16 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Agree with what Scott says here. Me personally, I try and average 3 swims a week, often it's only twice but if I can average two a week of 2700-3000 yards, that will keep my swim fitness up enough such that I'm still feeling pretty fresh for my ride. I'd personally not be feeling good going into a tri where I was only swimming once a week.

But I understand the logistics of your situation.

I also have a fitness club membership solely for the purpose of swimming. That's the only reason I'm a member there so my annual fitness budget always has that as a priority.
2018-02-16 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Check out any local community centers as well for pools. Found some that work for me with 2 lap lanes and never have an issue getting in. $200 a year AND they have weights and treadmills. Boo ya.

ALSO, strength work is a great replacement for swims.
If you have access to a rowing machine - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o2NNt09-i8mP_CK1CXq4-jnZl3V4g6sr/vi...
Weights only - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4poxgiGQco3b1BaY2dqeXV5dDQ/view?us...

AND, double up on the weekend for a Sat and Sun swim. Focus the rest of the week on bike, run and strength.
2018-02-16 9:44 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

Thanks for all the advice! I Never thought of the rower but makes sense! I can easily incorporate that and a weight session during the week. I also did find a masters swim club which I previously misinterpreted as needing experience (for their open water swims) and apparently they meet at a pool late evenings Wednesday in next town over and open to beginners.
Thanks again!!!!
2018-02-16 9:54 PM
in reply to: reecealan

“I'd personally not be feeling good going into a tri where I was only swimming once a week. “

Yikes I know. I do swim sat/sun except one day we got kicked out of the pool for lightning another weekend the pool was closed dt the government “shutdown” so I went to swim at the beach but there was wave advisory, next weekend there was brown water advisory at the beach. I did get in one open water swim eventually. but cannot seem to make it weekdays. Alas hoping this new masters swim club will be my weekday salvation.

2018-02-19 10:49 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
This won't serve as a replacement to a good swim workout but you may do something like this during the week to try and get your form where it needs to be. That's a great book (Swim Speed Secrets) also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr570KZvyBQ

2018-02-22 11:11 AM
in reply to: reecealan

Thanks! Just wanted to update that I was able to find a masters swim club that swims late evenings (7-815p 2x/weekdays)), and wow it’s going to make a huge difference. I usually swim alone and it was nice to have someone right away point out some deficiencies in my technique that made a big difference in my times. Although I felt sooo slow compared to others one guy said he started 3 mos ago with them with no prior swim background and said that the practice makes a huge difference.

Highly recommend if you r struggling with swimming! I also do like the exercises that I can incorporate in my workouts. Thanks for the support!
2018-02-27 3:42 AM

User image

You could try the Y for swimming only. The one near me has a great pool that i pay only to swim, i purchased a pass to save a little money. If that dosent work try some of the local hotels and try to work a deal. Some do some dont, but check your times. Some days i have the whole Y pool to myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim training consistency Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Training

Started by jnuger
Views: 661 Posts: 5

2017-07-12 8:21 AM k9car363

Returning to training after Spinal Fusion L5 S1 Pages: 1 2

Started by MCB
Views: 24347 Posts: 29

2017-06-18 9:09 AM Endorphin Hub

Milford, CT Open Water Swim