General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Exercise Nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-02-16 10:36 PM

User image

New user
Lesmurdie, Perth
Subject: Post-Exercise Nutrition
After I train for 60minutes or more I always have a snack of Carbohydrates and Protein to help recovery and get me ready for the next session. However I can never eat as much as I have burned, is this normal and okay as long as you meet your nutrition needs throughout the rest of the day? I seem to be recovering well each day and feel energetic

2018-02-17 1:18 PM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Post-Exercise Nutrition

You don't need to replace everything that you burned.  Just eat real food, a mix of carbs and protein and not a lot of fat.  If you are recovering well from your training and not getting fat then it is working.

2018-02-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: Experior

Originally posted by Experior

You don't need to replace everything that you burned.  Just eat real food, a mix of carbs and protein and not a lot of fat.  If you are recovering well from your training and not getting fat then it is working.

There is a lot of hype on the need to refuel after exercise no matter what length of time you exercise For any time < 2 hours, I agree with the contributor above.

For longer times some recovery nutrition may help. Just remember don't eat like you have ridden 100 miles when you have only ridden 30.
2018-02-19 7:27 PM
in reply to: browncd

User image

Fit in a 40 minute trainer ride this evening. Hoping to get back out for a run and some strengthening tomorrow.
2018-02-20 11:11 AM
in reply to: Oggi

User image

Aledo, Texas

What you need (if anything) post-workout will depend on both the time and the intensity. Easy 1 hour ride? Don't worry about it, you'll get what you need through your daily intake. Hard run? Yeah, hit that post-workout recovery.

Protein is super important. Women actually need more protein than men, and the kind of protein matters, too. Avoid soy. Whey and casein are good. You do want carbs, as they deliver the protein.

Agreed with the other posters - you don't need to replenish all that you lost. You're looking to jump-start the recovery process. Do this within 30 minutes, and your body will be able to continue replenishing efficiently throughout the day. I also agree on the real food advice. Finally, avoid carbohydrates from sugars such as fructose (glucose is good). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-Exercise Nutrition Rss Feed