Other Resources The Political Joe » NRA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2018-02-18 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: NRA
According to liberals the NRA is responsible for school shootings. There is a movement to attack anyone who takes NRA contributions. I think dems need to take a deep breath and rethink this anti-NRA position. The best way to energize the right is to threaten their 2nd amendment rights.

I’ve been an NRA member for years.....and most sportsmen I know are members....regardless of their political affiliation.

2018-02-18 2:44 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: NRA

I've never been a member.....but I'm just not much of a joiner.  I don't need the NRA to protect my guns, thanks anyway.  Who's going to take them? LOL

2018-02-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

I've never been a member.....but I'm just not much of a joiner.  I don't need the NRA to protect my guns, thanks anyway.  Who's going to take them? LOL

Yeah but you get a really cool NRA gym bag and free magazine subscription. :-)
2018-02-18 3:39 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
It'd be funny to see the NRA just vanish overnight. Who would be the boogeyman then?
2018-02-18 3:57 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mdg2003 It'd be funny to see the NRA just vanish overnight. Who would be the boogeyman then?

I guess at that point we'd all turn our guns in and just let the govt. be the only ones with guns.  

2018-02-18 5:39 PM

User image

Elite
Originally posted by mdg2003

It'd be funny to see the NRA just vanish overnight. Who would be the boogeyman then?

It would be interesting...the NRA's money has bought a lot over the years.
There really are gun control measures at least 70% of Americans agree on...buuuut, the NRA's not so keen on them.
Ya know, like allowing terrorists on the No-Fly List to carry firearms.

2018-02-18 6:54 PM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

There really are gun control measures at least 70% of Americans agree on...buuuut, the NRA's not so keen on them.

NRA is not a legislative body. Dems held both houses and the WH and did....NOTHING.

Only thing that will stop this is a gun. You can whine and moan all you want and even take control of congress and the WH but it will not stop! Ban all guns and it will not stop!
2018-02-19 6:19 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
My grandfather was a lifetime member and bought me a membership when I was a teenager. During the "cop killer bullet" argument during the '80s we discussed the fact that we felt the NRA was adopting a position that we could not support and both dropped our membership. The stance of the NRA over the years has reinforced in me that we made the correct decision, I believe my grandfather would feel similarly if he were still around.
2018-02-19 6:42 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Alabama

NRA money comes from we the people. The only power they have come from the people who support them.
2018-02-19 7:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas

I'm pretty neutral on the NRA. As a result I'm not familiar with their actual platform/agenda other than preserving the 2A. But, I'm almost 100% certain your statement is just narrative derived from circumstances due to supporting the 2A. Go the the NRA website and show me where it states they are supportive of arming terrorists on the no fly list. I'll even simplify it more, find where they state they are in favor of arming terrorists NOT on the no fly list.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-19 7:07 AM
2018-02-19 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
The problem with the ‘no fly’ list is there is no due process for putting someone on the list. When you have the state taking away constitutional rights of Americans you really need to have a legal process. If you post pro Islam stuff on your FB page is that enough to get you on the no fly list? Nobody knows! And that is the issue.

2018-02-19 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Rogillio

NRA is not a legislative body. Dems held both houses and the WH and did....NOTHING.

Only thing that will stop this is a gun. You can whine and moan all you want and even take control of congress and the WH but it will not stop! Ban all guns and it will not stop!

The money the NRA has comes from the gun manufacturers. The political clout comes from a membership that is made up by a significant number of single-issue voters. Most gun owners I know are very responsible and would vote with the majority to tighten background checks, limit magazine size and other sensible and common sense measures. I do not have a sense of whether the NRA is being driven by the fringe of its membership or by the manufacturing lobby, perhaps it's both. I will say, this time feels a bit different, we'll see if anything gets done.
2018-02-19 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Originally posted by Rogillio

The money the NRA has comes from the gun manufacturers. The political clout comes from a membership that is made up by a significant number of single-issue voters. Most gun owners I know are very responsible and would vote with the majority to tighten background checks, limit magazine size and other sensible and common sense measures. I do not have a sense of whether the NRA is being driven by the fringe of its membership or by the manufacturing lobby, perhaps it's both. I will say, this time feels a bit different, we'll see if anything gets done.

In the army we had 20 rd magazines. We would tape 2 mags together with one being upside down. When the first mag is empty it takes about 2 seconds to release the mag, flip and reinsert and drop the bolt. But if people thinks they are safer with mag limits then I have no problem with it. Even if you limit to 10 rounds, you can put 10 mags in you pockets....buys you 2 seconds on the shooter....might be enough time for someone to rush the shooter if he is dumb enough to empty his magazine where he is vulnerable.

NRA money comes from gun manufacturers? Please cite the source of this?

I am not a single issue voter....I just vote for the republican. In the primaries I look at their platform and find the most conservative.

ETA

“Some political funding comes from big corporations, many within the gun industry, which donate millions to the NRA. But companies are barred from donating to the NRA’s political action committee, which the agency uses to fill campaign coffers, run ads and send out mailers for and against candidates.”

http://money.cnn.com/news/cnnmoney-investigates/nra-funding-donors/...

Edited by Rogillio 2018-02-19 9:07 AM
2018-02-19 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Please note that some of these are such left-leaning rags such as forbes, business insider and fortune magazine. I'm not saying that dues does not fund NRA efforts, I just don't think the rank and file have a lot of control over NRA lobbying.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-industry-funds-nra-2013-1
http://theweek.com/articles/597752/how-nra-gun-manufacturers-work-t...
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/12/whom-does-the-n...
http://www.vpc.org/investigating-the-gun-lobby/blood-money/
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-nra-politicia...
http://fortune.com/2016/01/05/nra-gun-owners-obama/
http://money.cnn.com/news/cnnmoney-investigates/nra-funding-donors/...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/07/23/the-nra-industria...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35261394

2018-02-21 8:35 AM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
What exactly is a "bump stock" and how does it work?
2018-02-21 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Originally posted by Rogillio What exactly is a "bump stock" and how does it work?

fat guy wtf GIF

2018-02-21 8:49 AM

User image

Pro

It's a piece that replaces the stock and pistol grip of an AR-15.   It's a loose fit, and slides.  When you pull the trigger, the recoil allows the rifle to slide inside the bump stock piece and as the recoil comes off it slides back forward.  You leave your finger near the trigger and the recoil action of the rifle sliding back and forth "pulls" the trigger for you.  It takes a bit of practice to operate it at it's full capacity, but you can get to the point where is fires NEARLY as fast as full auto.  It's a gimmick really, like a circus act,  and not very reliable for any application except spraying a lot of bullets.

They can be fun to play with.....but you have to be a pretty big gun tool to want to own one. 

I can get nearly the same rate of fire by using a belt loop on my pants as a "ground" while the recoil allows the rifle to slide back and forth loosely in my hands.  Again, it's a circus act, but if you shoot and practice a lot you can make a gun do all kinds of silly things.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-21 8:52 AM

(stock.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
stock.jpg (52KB - 0 downloads)
2018-02-21 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
I have no problem at all banning them. There is no real use for fully automatic unless it is your Alamo and your last ditch effort. I still remember in Army basic training on the M16A1 fully automatic rifle we were taught to shot in 3 round bursts otherwise you are just wasting ammo. Unless you are in a firefight, see no real use in automatic weapons....and even then I question the use of fully automatic as you aim point tends to drift up as you shoot each shot....unless you are really good at controlling it.
2018-02-21 9:19 AM

User image

Pro

The fat guy in the video likely has NO device on his pistol.  It appears he has his big fat left finger stuffed in the trigger guard and is simply using the inertia of the recoil to get a high rate of fire from a semi-auto pistol.  Easy stuff.

2018-02-21 9:20 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio I have no problem at all banning them. There is no real use for fully automatic unless it is your Alamo and your last ditch effort. I still remember in Army basic training on the M16A1 fully automatic rifle we were taught to shot in 3 round bursts otherwise you are just wasting ammo. Unless you are in a firefight, see no real use in automatic weapons....and even then I question the use of fully automatic as you aim point tends to drift up as you shoot each shot....unless you are really good at controlling it.

In my mind nobody should have a problem with them being banned.......who cares.....it's a toy.

2018-02-21 9:41 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas

Originally posted by Rogillio I have no problem at all banning them. There is no real use for fully automatic unless it is your Alamo and your last ditch effort. I still remember in Army basic training on the M16A1 fully automatic rifle we were taught to shot in 3 round bursts otherwise you are just wasting ammo. Unless you are in a firefight, see no real use in automatic weapons....and even then I question the use of fully automatic as you aim point tends to drift up as you shoot each shot....unless you are really good at controlling it.

In my mind nobody should have a problem with them being banned.......who cares.....it's a toy.

And banning them really solves nothing. Look to our government to make a grand show, but the problem will still be there and another shooting will occur. Bump stocks are 'spray and pray' at best. A novelty toy designed to empty a magazine with little to no accuracy.

Designed with the, "Hey Scooter, hold my beer and check this out!" crowd in mind. I couldn't justify using it for self defense, because of the lack of control. You're more likely to accidentally hit your neighbor than the intruder in your hallway.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-02-21 9:44 AM

2018-02-21 9:42 AM

User image

Pro

And banning them really solves nothing. Look to our government to make a grand show, but the problem will still be there and another shooting will occur. Bump stocks are 'spray and pray' at best. A novelty toy designed to empty a magazine with little to no accuracy.

100% correct.

2018-02-21 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
I have heard such BS around the gun issue in the last few days it makes me want to pull Lefty's hair out. The ban the AR-15 argument is ludicrous. How many of these things are out there now? And I do know people that use them for hunting. I heard another one that pled for us to outlaw semi-automatics. Jeez, we're supposed to go back to bolt action? Might as well make everything a muzzle loader then (remember, this was the only firearm around when the 2nd amendment was drafted). Besides, I need at least 2 shells to wing a duck. The best was to outlaw AR-15 ammo. This thing has been chambered in almost every available caliber, the predominant one is Rem .223. How many hunting rifles are chambered in Rem .223, my guess this is the predominant hunting round for deer in the USA?

There are some things that can be done, bump stocks are a no-brainer. We need to ask why people need 30 round magazines, the majority of hunters I know would be good with 5, most need only 1 bullet. My semi-auto scatter guns are limited to 3 for hunting. Honestly, only Scarface needs more than 5 for home defense. We need to get serious about background checks and I don't think that requiring classes is a bad idea, education never hurt anyone.

I am glad to see this country starting to take some notice of this issue. Took some pissed off high schoolers to force the issue, nice to see them take some time away from their smartphones. Civic engagement is a good thing.
2018-02-21 10:16 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

Originally posted by Rogillio What exactly is a "bump stock" and how does it work?

fat guy wtf GIF

This really is precious Bob, I wish I could make a .gif my screensaver.
2018-02-21 10:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Oysterboy I have heard such BS around the gun issue in the last few days it makes me want to pull Lefty's hair out. The ban the AR-15 argument is ludicrous. How many of these things are out there now? And I do know people that use them for hunting. I heard another one that pled for us to outlaw semi-automatics. Jeez, we're supposed to go back to bolt action? Might as well make everything a muzzle loader then (remember, this was the only firearm around when the 2nd amendment was drafted). Besides, I need at least 2 shells to wing a duck. The best was to outlaw AR-15 ammo. This thing has been chambered in almost every available caliber, the predominant one is Rem .223. How many hunting rifles are chambered in Rem .223, my guess this is the predominant hunting round for deer in the USA? There are some things that can be done, bump stocks are a no-brainer. We need to ask why people need 30 round magazines, the majority of hunters I know would be good with 5, most need only 1 bullet. My semi-auto scatter guns are limited to 3 for hunting. Honestly, only Scarface needs more than 5 for home defense. We need to get serious about background checks and I don't think that requiring classes is a bad idea, education never hurt anyone. I am glad to see this country starting to take some notice of this issue. Took some pissed off high schoolers to force the issue, nice to see them take some time away from their smartphones. Civic engagement is a good thing.

Nothing here that I don't agree with.  And yeah, I really can't even listen to the "gun experts" on the news shows.....just a bunch of idiots wanting a payday.  My favorite was the morning of the Vegas shooting and virtually every single one of them called "full-auto weapon" when it was perfectly obvious it was bump fire.

I'm not sure if the .223 round is the predominant hunting round or not.  Just the guys I know who use an AR platform rifle to hunt with have mostly gone to .300 blackout or .308.  That .223 round isn't much of a deer round......but then, the woods are just a good place to stay away from in general during deer season.....so yeah, there could be a lot more folks hunting with .223 than I think. (dumbarses)

It'll be interesting to see where this goes......but I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in anything meaningful being done.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-02-21 10:28 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » NRA Rss Feed  

of 3