Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone done a family vacation in Mexico? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-17 9:12 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: Anyone done a family vacation in Mexico?
We would like to do a family vacation in Mexico sometime this winter.   My son is 7 and my daughter will be 5.  Has anyone gone to any "All Inclusive" resorts in Mexico that they would recommend (Keeping in mind that we have kids). 

2006-09-17 10:55 AM
in reply to: #543623

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Anyone done a family vacation in Mexico?
We stayed at the Cancun Palace a couple of years ago - just the wife and I, but there were kids there.  We are thinking of taking our kids (3 and 10) on a vacation in Feb and I would go back to the Cancun Palace with them.  It was a pretty nice hotel, grounds were clean and nice, staff was good, food was typical all inclusive quality.  There are several "Palace" hotels and I think one may be more kid friendly.  Good luck.
2006-09-17 1:22 PM
in reply to: #543648

Champion
South Jersey

My parents took my brother and me to Cancun when we were younger. We didn't stay in a resort, but rather just a hotel on the strip. As kids, we loved it - we loved snorkeling, wave running, Chichen Itza (that was my favorite), the food and music, etc. It's certainly not as much of a cultural experience as some other places in Mexico, but it's kid friendly.  There's also a lot of tours that leave from Cancun and some of those will expose you to the more cultural aspects of Mexico.

(Sorry - I know I didn't really answer your question.)

Good luck planning your vacation and HAVE FUN!

Edited by LaurenSU02 2006-09-17 1:23 PM
2006-09-17 2:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Riu Cancun is a great all-inclusive resort. Check out www.tripadvisor.com for reviews on that one and others. I've been to 4 different AI's in Cancun and this one is my favorite by far. Plenty of activities for the kids, swim up bar (my favorite), and the food is really good. The rooms are nice, and they keep the grounds spotless. You can also look for good deals through www.vacationexpress.com or www.av-specials.com
2006-09-18 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Thanks all.  I'll have to research these locations.  Keep any other suggestions coming!
2006-09-18 9:21 AM
in reply to: #544213

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

We've traveled with our kids all over Mexico, but the place we keep going back to if we just want to kick back is Isla Mujeres. It's a half hour ferry ride from Cancun.

You can probably find an all inclusive there, but I'd recommend just booking a hotel and then hanging out on your own. Mostly family owned hotels.

Fantastic place!!!!

It's completely safe for the kids. You can let them run around the town square without worry. Beaches are great. Food is great. People are great. You can get along with little or no Spanish, (although it's appreciated when you try)

I've met a good number of folks from Calgary and Edmonton there.

It's the kind of place people keep coming back to year after year. Very special place. It's a world away from Cancun.

Here's a link to a good forum board for the island.

Edited by dontracy 2006-09-18 9:23 AM

2006-09-18 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
For a true "family" vacation, I would recommend Cozumel. Cancun is great, but it is more focused on a "PARTY" atmosphere. We have stayed at the Cozumel Occidental all-inclusive . Both times we went, it was a great, relaxed trip. There are certain times of the year, however, that the atmosphere is a little different. I would not suggest going in June or July, as the American travelers are there, and it's a little rowdy. We went in September, and it was more European familes. They were much more easy going, the beaches were clearly designated for topless and fully clothed, and the drinking was not at an obnoxious level.

The food was great, the staff friendly, and the nightly shows were very funny.

We really would like to go back sometime soon..( hint, hint, Darrell)

Hope this helps.
2006-09-18 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

as a kid we stayed in an all inclusive place in Puerta Vallarta (not nearly as bad then as it might be now as far as the party atmosphere, but the cruise ships do come through, remember? the Love Boat always stopped there which is why my brother and I picked that place...)

As long as you don;t go in March or April, when sprink breakers are unavoidable ANYWHERE in Mexico, it should be a blast.

If you have the $$, Club Med Family resprts are also a BLAST for kids. All inclusive, including lots of activities so Mom and Dad can have alone chill time too. The one in the DR (Punta Cana) was great fun (gulp, 20 yrs ago!

2006-09-18 11:29 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
We've been to Mexico twice - Once Cancun, once Playa del Carmen. Cancun was more commercial - Crown resort - kids club, plenty of restaurants and pretty large - more "lager" louts though! The other one, in Playa del Carmen was the Playacar Palace. Smaller, more personal and easier to keep an eye on the kids. Great kids club, accomodation was good and the food excellent. Location was cool, since you could walk to town and to the ferry for a day in Cozumel. Our kids are 4 and 7 - and they are dying to get back to the Playacar palace. Another plus was the number of families there and the lack of the "all you can drink" contingent. I'd highly recommend the Palace. Also, a great site for reviews is - www.tripadvisor.com - plenty of reviews by peope who have stayed at the various resorts.
Here is a link to the resort I would recommend
http://www.palaceresorts.com/Resorts/PlayacarPalace/Index.asp
2006-09-18 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA

We took our children to Playa del Carmen in 2003 when they were 11 and 8.

We stayed at the Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal resort in Playacar, which is sort of a protected resort community right outside of PDC. What a beautiful place. The resort grounds are like a jungle and there are howler monkeys living there...they are really loud in the morning though. LOL. The pools are huge and right off the beach!

The beach is absolutely gorgeous...soft white sand. The waves can be pretty big.

We had blast! They had a great kids club that my 8 year old daughter was totally into! They played games and did mexican crafts. She was in 2 musicals..."Cats" and "Grease" although in Mexico it was called "Vaselina"!   One day it was raining so they showed movies on a big screen on the stage...a lifesaver!

They always had some special show or game for the kids after dinner, and before the main show. The shows were all fairly entertaining.

My husband and son went on a jungle ATV ride and had a blast. They were covered with mud from head to toe!

We went to Xel-Ha which is an eco-park...We went snorkeling in a calm lagoon,  rode a tube through a cave down into the lagoon. We all jumped from the "cliff of courage"!     They also have a swim with the dolphins program which we didn't do.  This is a great place to visit. We spent the whole day.

We went to Tulum to see the ruins.  We went early in the morning and it was very hot walking around. Its worth seeing though.

http://mytravelboard4.com/playa/

This forum has great information about Playa del Carmen and it has other links to boards for different parts of Mexico too.  People really flame each other on this board , but I got a lot of useful info from it.

2006-09-18 7:57 PM
in reply to: #544246

User image

Elite
Reno
dontracy - 2006-09-18 9:21 AM

We've traveled with our kids all over Mexico, but the place we keep going back to if we just want to kick back is Isla Mujeres. It's a half hour ferry ride from Cancun.

You can probably find an all inclusive there, but I'd recommend just booking a hotel and then hanging out on your own. Mostly family owned hotels.

Fantastic place!!!!

It's completely safe for the kids. You can let them run around the town square without worry. Beaches are great. Food is great. People are great. You can get along with little or no Spanish, (although it's appreciated when you try)

I've met a good number of folks from Calgary and Edmonton there.

It's the kind of place people keep coming back to year after year. Very special place. It's a world away from Cancun.

Here's a link to a good forum board for the island.

don, I second this.  Not that I was there with kids, but it is way less commercial and more international.  and there is a turtle reserve where you can take the kids to learn about endangered sea turtles.  

2006-09-19 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

We just went for Spring Break. A little town north of Puerta Vallarta called, Sayulita. We stayed in a killer place called Playa Escondida. It was awesome b/c it was very private (not all inclusive), cool little villas and houses to rent...and private beach. We could walk to the town of Sayulita down a dirt road. If we wanted the great ambiance of Mexico...lots of people, music in the streets, lots of fun beach things (like the hair braiding that all 3 of my girls did) good restaurants, etc. we had that in the town. When we were ready to hang out and lay on a quiet beach or even swim at a quiet pool we headed back to Playa Escondida. It was the best of both worlds.

We ate everything (Sayulita has the best ice cream I have ever tasted anywhere), drank bottled water that we could find easily and no one had so much as a stomach ache. In Sayulita they have awesome pork and fish taco stands right on the street...tacos are like 20 cents each. Our kids loved it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anyone done a family vacation in Mexico? Rss Feed