TNT productions
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 29s
Overall Rank = 168/313
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/38
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:20am - took a shower and got dressed. Had a few slices of bread and an apple for breakfast. Grabbed my Heed bottles and headed for the race. Center of DC was shut down, parked on Independance and biked to the start.
Event warmup:

Rode from the car to the start, easy ride about 15 minutes. Once I had transition set up, got about a 10 minute run in just to get legs loose and heart pumping.
Run
  • 15m 23s
  • 3 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

Running is just not my strong event right now. Swim leg was cancelled due to water quality concerns so we got a 3K run start. Wave started with young studs from the Naval Academy and West Point - BLISTERING starting pace. Ran my own race and focussed on getting back for the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Did the best I could - pushed hard for the return, with HR well into zone 5
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Went through transition pretty quick - need to get quick laces to save time with the shoes.

Need to practice keeping shoes in pedals - maybe save a minute or so
Bike
  • 56m 44s
  • 21.27 miles
  • 22.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ROCKED! I really enjoyed this stage of the race. My strategy going into the race was to give the bike everything and just go for it. My initial plan was to stay low zone 3 for first lap and then just go for it on the second. Didn't work out that way - stayed right above LT for the entire leg, but felt really strong. After first lap I had made up quite a bit of ground after initial run, and was passing other riders regularly. Legs were feeling really good and just kept pushing. Second lap I was passed for the first time by one of the relay riders - but still continued to maintain pace. Second lap was pretty much right on with the first. Went through over one full bottle of HEED, plus took in a gel every 15 - 20 minutes. Couldn't believe average speed ended at 22.5.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming through t2 - need to get quick laces to save a bit of time.

quick laces - practice getting out of shoes prior to dismount
Run
  • 56m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

What a tough run for me. The lack of run training since the knee surgery was really felt as this run just seemed to go on forever. Felt very tired and HR was 167 for most of the race, felt really hard to maintain, even though this is just below my LT. Need to get more run training in and focus on getting my running legs back.

More training, push harder
Post race
Warm down:

2 bottles of water, a banana and muffin + 35 minute walk back to transition area

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Think my leg strength for the run was biggest limiting factor - really kicked butt on the bike, just don't have my running strength yet.

Event comments:

This was the first time the race has been held - was a major bummer the swim was cancelled - but hopefully it will go off next year. Very cool course right in downtown DC. Could have used Mile markers on the run and more aid stations.

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:23 | 03 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 21/38
Overall: 211/313
Performance: Average
First half split, 7:13 166HR Second half: 8:51 181HR
Course: Course was mostly flat out and back on Rock Creek Parkway
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:56:44 | 21.27 miles | 22.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/38
Overall: 60/313
Performance: Good
Average HR: 173
Wind: Some
Course: Course was really cool - from Rock Creek Park all the way up to Capital and back - 2 loops with closed roads. Pretty flat with a few gradual inclines and descents
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:56:59 | 06.21 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/38
Overall: 218/313
Performance: Average
AVG HR 167, MAX 181
Course: Course was mostly flat, following the river then turning up towards the capital then back to the finish at the washington monument.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 2:45 PM

User image

Regular
Arnold, MD
Subject: The Nation's Triathlon

2006-09-18 4:16 PM
in reply to: #544820

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: The Nation's Triathlon
Hey Brandon-

It was nice getting a chance to meet you. You hold the distinction of being the first BTer I've met! Congrats

Nice job on the race and RR.

See you around.

Larry
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Nation's Triathlon Rss Feed