United States
Danskin
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 32s
Overall Rank = 810/1280
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/294
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at Tinton Falls late Fri night. Sat got out to the expo about 1030, picked up the race packet and headed to the feebies. Thought the goodie bag was great and expo was very nice. Then rode out to Sandy Hook for a look at the race venue. All three families then went to the beach and let the kids chill for a short time. Had an awful experience for dinner. Food was great but terrible service. Back to the hotel, laid out our trans area for a try, tired on the wetsuit for the fisrt time and then to bed at 10:30 or 11:00. Got up at 4:15 and had a bagel with peanutbutter. We left at 4:50 and got to the area at 5:30. Was really glad that we got there early because the jitters seemed to not be as bad the less I rushed. Laid out the transition area, and talked to alot of great people. Had a great spot not from the bike start/finish. We were in the mixed so we had a long time to wait to enter the water. Was great to watch all of the athletes coming in from there swim.
Event warmup:

Didn't have much of a warm-up. Walked around talking to alot of newbies like myself and enjoyed all of their stories which inspired me even more. Got the wetsuit/gogles/cap on, had some water and Gu, and then off to the water.
Swim
  • 13m 43s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was very scarry. Had lots of people in the water before me and could not get into a nice pace. Everytime I tried to swim more that 10 strokes I was on top of someone. Swam most of the time with head out of the water.
Not to sure if this is what I can expect because this being my first race.
What would you do differently?:

Try to find a path without so many people. Everyone has said to stay to the outside and I think everyone else was told the same thing. Then when I tried to get to the inside. There were more people. Sure did miss the pool.
Transition 1
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

I thought the transition area was a bit congested. We were in the 2nd to last wave. Lots of people coming back from their rides as I was trying to get out. No problem getting the wetsuit off. Thank God for the Glide!! Dried/de-sanded my feet. Socks and shoes on. Thank God for the slick new shoe lacess!!(Thanks Klynne) Took Gu/water. Saw Gia and Klynne and they both looked great! Thanks to Gia for helping me get the bike back on the rack.

Be a bit quicker. Really could have spent less time getting the sand from the toes! Also remember to come into the rack from the back side to rack it easier.
Bike
  • 39m 30s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

HAd great speed on the way out to the tirn around(19-20). Felt great to be a OYLG a couple of times. Only had that said to me a couple of times. Got to chat with a few gals which was good. Heck of a head wind on the ride back. Speed fell to about 13-14. Wanted to save my legs for the run and decided not to push any harder that I was.

Maybe pushed a bit harder on the ride back. But was a bit scared because I knew the run isn't my best.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I felt great coming off the bike and got the bike back on the rack quick.
Was really glad that I didn't have to change into running shoes!!!!Had some Gu/water. Turned around and saw Kylnne. Waited for her and we ran out of the transition area together.

Nothing
Run
  • 34m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Was fantastic that Kynne was running with me. The weather was beautiful but was getting hot. Poured water over my head at the water stops, which really helped. I actually thought that I was at a slower pace until we got to the finish. Our finish was FANTASTIC!!! Klyyne and I crossed together with hands held high!

If I was not under the pace I had hoped for, I would have pushed the run a bit harder. BUt with Klynne in the transition at the same time I decided to hold back a bit and run with her. Which was the best part of the race!!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really do a cool down. Waited to cheer Gia in and the pictures of the whole gang.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough OWS with more people.

Event comments:

Of course this race was the best because it was my first. I AM A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!!!! I'm extremely proud of how well I did. I had in my head that if I did 2 hours that it would be great. It was fantastic because I killed it and finished with my best friend and managed to do it in 1:36!!! What made it even more special was having my family cheering me along the way. I want to thank Klynne because if it would not have been for her I would still be sitting on the couch with my back still hurting. YOU ROCK!!! Danskin was the perfect race for being a beginner. The swim angels were a great help when I was struggling in the swim. All the women were so inspirational and supportive. I'M HOOKED!!!!

Last updated: 2006-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:43 | 500 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/294
Overall: 713/1280
Performance: Below average
Suit: sleeveless full wetsuit
Course: rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:30 | 11 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Overall: 698/1280
Performance: Good
Hr was about 175-180 through the whole ride.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Fast out and back. Mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:16 | 03.1 miles | 11m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 878/1280
Performance: Good
Course: Two dog legs then out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-19 5:37 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2006-09-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: #545359

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
excellent job!
congratulations on your first race - hope you'll continue to do more... i know i will.
-mary
2006-09-19 1:40 PM

User image

Master
CT
you did great!

congrats on finishing your first!
2006-09-19 5:10 PM
in reply to: #545560

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Thanks- I sure did catch the bug and am registered for a race in Richmond on the 15th of OCt. Can't wait to get another under my belt
2006-09-19 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
excellent job! sounds like we will see you here next year!
2006-09-21 7:15 PM

User image

Veteran
terrific report Susan! remember to print and save it for an album

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed