General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-23 3:13 PM

New user

Boston
Subject: Shin Splints?
My boyfriend has decided that he'd like to train for a triathlon. While I'm not much for swimming, especially in open water, (darn fish fears ), I told him that I'd run with him. I'm hoping to do my first 5K in October! Recently though, I've had pains in the front of both legs, down near my ankles. I had shin splints when I played soccer thanks to low arches and flat soccer cleats and had my feet and ankles taped before every practice and game. The pain I'm feeling now is no where near as painful as that or even in the same locations, but it's still noticeable! Any suggestions? New stretches? Anything?

Thanks for the help!

2004-07-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #39940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle, WA
Subject: RE: Shin Splints?
Hi Magi,

Has it been a while since you've been able to run? If so, it could be your body trying to remember how to run. The muscles/tendons near that region could be weak from not being used, so hopefully it will get better.

To help strengthen any area in the front of your leg (ie shin), do a duck walk: pull your toes up towards your shins and walk on your heels. It feels funny, and people will probably laugh at you, but that helps strengthen the muscles in that region. My cross country team used to have to do it for 10 minutes every day!!!

Hope that helps, and good luck with your 5K!!
2004-07-23 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
I get real bad shin splints as well so I can agree with the agony of them. Believe it or not I have found that walking backwards helps tremedously.
2004-07-23 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
MD
When I started running I had trouble with shin splints. I stuck with it and eventually the problem went away. I don't know exactly what made them go away, but the following things certainly helped:

1. I invested in an excellent pair of running shoes - try a local running shop
2. I stretch for 10 minutes before every run - no matter how short it is. The stretch I do for my shins - I start kneeling with my feet behind and underneath, toes pointed backwards so I'm actually resting on the tops of my feet. Then I lower my body between my feet and it stretches the front leg/shin area.
3. As I was working on getting stronger, I did most of my running on a crushed gravel path instead of concrete or asphalt.

While I had the shin splits I also used Ibruprofen (Advil, etc) after my runs to reduce the swelling and soreness. Eventually I stopped needing them.
2004-07-23 11:10 PM

I have shin splints too (due to an intensive gymnastics career.) Our coach always warned us not to run on cement. Also, if you tape your shin, right bellow your calf muscle it helps take away some of the pain/pressure. (Just make sure you don't do it too tightly)
2004-07-24 2:51 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
Shin splints can come from a variety of reasons. From overpronation to having a slight flaw in your running technique. Strenghten your lower legs and stretch real good. Avoid hills. You might need orthotics in your shoes. If you do, see a doctor who works with runners that way you get a decent orthotic for your running shoe. Have some evaluate your running technique. I found myself leaning forward ever so slightly and I would get shin splints because I was over striding. I straightened out my back and the pain would go away. I also have flat feet and the orthotics do help.
I would ice your shins and wrap them with an Ace bandage. That is what always helps me.

Mike

2004-08-02 1:51 PM

New user

Boston
Well, so far so good. I've been stretching... trying to duck walk... (it's HARD! Especially when your boyfriend is laughing at you!) And I got a pair of inserts. I went the cheap route and got a pair of Dr. Scholl's. Best $9.00 I've spent. No more pain!

http://drscholls.com/product.aspx?prodid=33
2004-08-02 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
New shoes. Although its good the inserts are working for you.
2004-08-02 3:10 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I will second the duck walk. I could feel it stretching the muscles and my ankles have been sore and getting stronger. This is a great exercise.

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints? Rss Feed