General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike/Tri Shops Feedback/Input Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-20 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Bike/Tri Shops Feedback/Input
What do you look for in a GREAT bike shop?  Which shops in Texas are great and why do you think they are great?  Which shops maybe are not great but could add something to make them great?  What are they missing?

2006-09-20 7:31 PM
in reply to: #547058

User image

Veteran
Manor, Texas
Subject: RE: Bike/Tri Shops Feedback/Input
Good Questions!! I have two favorites in Texas. One is in Lubbock, where I got my road bike. It's DFC Cycle and Fitness. I'm from Lubbock and had always passed by the shop when I lived there. But it wasn't until I moved to Austin that I was forced to go back to Lubbock to go to this bike shop. The reason: Cheaper Bikes. I priced many bikes in the Austin area and was shocked by the prices. One day when I was visiting family in Lubbock, I went into DFC Cycles just to check them out, and sure'nuff, the same bikes were much cheaper in Lubbock than Austin. I drove from Austin to Lubbock to get a cheaper bike, same quality, great service and the trip was well worth it.
My fav here in Austin is Jack And Adams on Barton Springs Road. The reason, good service, great prices, lots of Tri equipment, and friendly staff. I like the guys that work there and they answered all of my questions, without looking at my like I had a third eye. They understood my concern with being new to the sport and gave me great advice and suggestions. I'll continure to go back for my bike repairs. But I'll go to Lubbock when I purchase my new bike in the furture.
2006-09-21 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Jack and Adams in Austin, TX. Purchased my new bike (guru trilite/hed alps wheels) from them this year. As noted the staff there is very friendly, you deal with adam and jack directly as well. Never feel pressured into buying a product and very supportive on my final decision. They treat me fairly no matter what purchase I am making from accessories to over 4k for my new bike. Also, they are very supportive in the austin community. I'm sure I could travel outside of Austin and buy a bike cheaper but there is something about buying the bike locally to me. I did visit a few other shops here in town bike road bike and tribikes and just felt some did not take me seriously and listen to me.
2006-09-22 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

I also have a vote for Jack & Adam's.  While searching for a new bike last year I went to several bike/tri shops.  The other tri shop didn't give me any help with bike info and the bike shop didn't know about tri bike set up so I didn't feel right getting a bike from them.  It took me a long time to decide on the bike and all the staff at J & A were very patient with me.  The staff is very helpful no matter what you are buying a bike, a seat, shoes or gel. 

What do I look for in a shop?  Staff that is friendly, that will help you will the smallest of purchases, that aren't too busy to help you, that remember you when you come back and that seem interested in helping you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike/Tri Shops Feedback/Input Rss Feed