wake up early, eat breakfast, stretch, get to race site early, check in
Event warmup:

swim 10 mins, ride 1-2 miles, no run.
Swim
  • 06m 50s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

i started left of the 1st buoy, knowing i tend to drift towards the right.

first 100 was fast, and smoooth, was concerned about my HR, so i slowed down and tried to relax. After rounding the last buoy, i started swimming faster, then again slowed down as i was afraid my HR was too high for T1.

it seems most people did not take the most direct route to each buoy, so i was swimming alone most of the time.
What would you do differently?:

probably not worry about HR too much, and just swim. Drafting next time could be helpful too.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

not sure why my transition took so long, it didn't seem to long. there was a nice little jog from the beach to the bike. a tad uphill on not so nice asphalt. HR was racing coming out of the water.

i don't have clip ons, so i put on my socks and running shoes. also put on my race belt, and tucked my head band into my shorts. T1 and T2 were in seperate locations.

my bike was racked closest to the exit onto the bike course. getting on my bike was as smooth as it could be, could have been smoother.

perhaps i'll have clip on pedals next time. perhaps i'll also run from beach to the bike, not worryin about HR. perhaps even ditching the gloves, even though i didn't put them on until i was on the road.

Bike
  • 50m 38s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 17.54 mile/hr
Comments:

i had rode the course, so i felt good, i think i did a good job of neg splitting my time, and making sure i had enough energy to push through the 2nd half of the course.

got passed more than i passed people, but i did pass maybe less than 5 people.

perhaps next time i'll have a nice tri bike or better road bike. i was racing on the only bike i own. a used schwinn road bike, with a rack on the back, flat bar with bar ends, and toe clips. perhaps a newer or nice bike will help me bike faster.

also i knew coming in biking would be my weakest leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

my rack was closest to the entrance of T2, so that was nice. i didn't have jump off and run dismount, but it was good enough. just had to take off the helmet and gloves. manage to knock the legs of the rack out, but the volunteers told me not to worry and took care of everything. there was only 1 other bike on my rack at the time.

since my bike was closest to the entrance of t2, that meant i was furthest from the exit, so i guess i could have run faster out of transition and then gotten into a nice cadence, rather than just starting the run in t2.
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

there were 4 water stations, and by the 3rd station, i felt much better and ready to run faster. although for most than 1st half i felt like puking. perhaps i need to hydrate better while on my bike, not sure.

my feet felt like stones, and i was just trying to make it. by the 2 mile marker i felt good, and i think put together a decent run by picking up the speed after mile 2.

be familiar with the running course. while i didn't feel too horrible off the bike, i ran slow, so maybe more brick workouts. also better run pacing. i had too much in the tank after i finished the run, which to me means, i could have taken the run out faster, or could have been running at a faster pace.
Post race
Warm down:

none really. stretch. got a massage, drank lots of fluids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

perhaps not enough knowledge about my own pacing. not enough quality bike rides.

Event comments:

very family oriented race, most people were from the dover/sherborn area. not a lot of people in my age group, so i was able to take home hardware for my first Tri!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:50 | 437 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 22/300
Performance: Average
Suit: just tri shorts
Course: start with toes in the water. two left turn arouns buoys and swim back to the beach. water is clean, water temp was good, no wetsuit needed.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:50:38 | 14.8 miles | 17.54 mile/hr
Overall: 114/300
Wind: None
Course: nice, smooth, shady, asphalt road. just a couple of turns, and relatively hilly.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:52 | 03.2 miles | 08m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 90/300
Performance: Below average
Course: a run through a residential neighborhood. most of the way was shady, with some surprising hills. the course ended with a lap around the track at the high school. overall the course seemed shorter than it stated it was suppose to be.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-20 7:17 PM

Regular
Subject: dover sherborn boosters triathlon

2006-09-20 7:34 PM
in reply to: #547348

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: dover sherborn boosters triathlon
hardware on your first tri!!!! woohoo!! congrats!!  pics look very speedy!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » dover sherborn boosters triathlon Rss Feed