General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cardio before strength or strenght then cardio? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-20 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
MA
Subject: cardio before strength or strenght then cardio?
For the off season I'm adding strength training but due to family life it is always with a swim, run, or bike. Does it matter which I do first? THanks!

2006-09-20 8:17 PM
in reply to: #547365

New user
Subject: RE: cardio before strength or strenght then cardio?
As a triathlete I would put my tri workouts first. I have a hard time running or swimming after a weight trainign workout. It is a matter of priorities really. If you are trying to build muscle, lift first. That will not likely make you a faster triathlete but it is up to you. For me, I would choose the tri stuff first because that is more in line with my goals.
2006-09-20 10:20 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I would generally put strength training after the "cardio" if you are doing specific tri training during the season.  That way you get the quality swim/bike/run you're looking for.  That being said, during the off season I don't think it matters as much assuming you are simply trying to maintain a level of tri fitness or simply doing cardio for general conditioning...it's the difference between working out and training.
2006-09-21 6:51 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

As previous posters have stated, determine what your goals are.  There are benefits to either method.  If your goal is weight loss and endurance, focus your energy on your cardio.  If your goals are strength and buidling muscle, focus your energy on weights.  You will see huge benefits all the way around using both in your training. 

2006-09-21 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
I agree, I think cardio before strength is better. I've read in fitness magazines that either works. But I like the idea of getting my tri workouts in, having my muscles warm, and then lifting... and personally I don't like getting my muscles all tight from lifting before trying to get them moving fluidly.
2006-09-21 10:41 AM

User image

Why not work opposing muscle groups?  If you're swimming, do lower body weights.. if you're running or biking, do upper body weights.  That way, you don't need to concern yourself about tiring your muscles out with either.  

This is my preferred method of doing weights in the off season because I don't like to step into the weight room after getting out of the pool or while sweaty from a bike or run. 

Just make sure you do a 5-10 min warmup first, if you do weights at the start of your workout.

2006-09-21 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY

In light of the great advice already given, please remember:

Beer before liquor, never sicker.  Liquor before beer, in the clear.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

2006-09-21 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Even if you do opposite muscle groups I would still do the cardio first unless your in my A/g then do weights first. My reasoning behind it that you want to have the most energy to work on what you want to improve the most. I guess if your good at pacing it does not matter as much but still. there are more to burn than just your muscle carb stores.

My friend sent me an article that repeated everything people said here. 1 difference it does mention its good to alternate between them a every so often so it confuses the body. Remember its good not to fall into parterns and that goes with training also.

2006-09-21 11:12 AM
in reply to: #547870

User image

Seattle, WA
Vaiza - 2006-09-21 8:41 AM

Why not work opposing muscle groups?  If you're swimming, do lower body weights.. if you're running or biking, do upper body weights.  That way, you don't need to concern yourself about tiring your muscles out with either.  

This is my preferred method of doing weights in the off season because I don't like to step into the weight room after getting out of the pool or while sweaty from a bike or run. 

Just make sure you do a 5-10 min warmup first, if you do weights at the start of your workout.

I second what Vaiza says here - it's a great way to work your "whole" body in different ways, all in a single day/workout!

I ALWAYS do weights first - when working with a personal trainer a couple of years ago, he told me to do a brief (10 minute) cardio warmup, then weights, then my regular cardio session, since I will burn more calories this way and set myself up as a "fat burning machine" for the rest of the day.

But this was when I was really working on losing some weight and creating more muscle mass. Now that I am focusing on triathlon/road racing training, I'm not sure how to best incorporate strength training into my workout. It's still a good idea for triathletes to workout with weights on a regular basis, right?
2006-09-21 11:16 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

Always cardio AFTER strength.  I was taught that cardio depletes much needed energy and oxygen necessary for good strength training.  Strength gets the blood flowing and gets your heart and cardio system primed and ready for additional HR training.  Just my opinion based on a PT I once used.

2006-09-21 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
I'll third what Vaiza said about warming up before doing strength. I have a torn labrum in my shoulder because I did not warm up before lifting. That mistake is going to cost me at least 3 months away from swimming because I need surgery to fix it.

That said, I strongly recommend weights before cardio. As others have mentioned, you deplete your energy and bloodflow during cardio. On a few occasions that I've lifted afterwards, I've been much closer to blacking out and having other near-fainting issues. Needless to say, I don't lift after cardio.

Of course, everyone is different. But thats my experience.

2006-09-21 1:05 PM

I would not do any cardio that requires attention to form (i.e. running) after a strength workout.

As you run your body becomes fatigued and your form changes (usually to a less efficient stride). Part of training is teaching your body how to move most efficiently and running when you are already tired will help to ingrain poor running form.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cardio before strength or strenght then cardio? Rss Feed