General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie bike question: Would like your thoughts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-17 7:18 PM

Subject: Newbie bike question: Would like your thoughts
Hello,

I have recently began training for my first Tri, a sprint in August, and would like your thoughts on my bike choice.

I have two bikes:
1) An older Bianchi road bike (have not rode in 12 years) with aerobars and 650 tires
2) A 1 year old Specialized Hardrock Pro with stock handle bars and nubby tires

Since I am a Clydesdale (6' 230lbs) I am leaning towards the Specialized. Am I making the right decision, or should I make modifications to the Bianchi for my larger size (larger tires)?

Thanks for your help.

Delonie

2003-12-17 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2648

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: Newbie bike question: Would like your thoughts
Why don't you go to your local bike shop and let them give you some advice. I really think that you should not let your weight determine needing bigger tires. I race on a 23's and have not raced on them under 300 lbs.

If you don't have a mountain bike and you can get a good deal on the specialized, you might want get.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2650

Thanks Michael. I was planning on going to a bike shop after the Christmas rush is over.

I already own both bikes in question (the Bianchi and the Specialized). Was just debating with myself about which one to use.

Again, thank you for the reply.

Regards,

Delonie
2003-12-19 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2671

Veteran
Rutland Ohio (South Eastern Ohio)

I would go for the Bianchi personally. It is probably a little lighter ( you can check this yourself by using bathroom scales to measure yourself and your bikes) , higher geared, and has narrower tires. The narrow tires reduce your rolling resistance. A pound or so difference shouldn't matter that much(at least not for my level) but depending on the bikes and years there could be up to 10-15 lbs difference. The higher gearing on a road bike should allow you to have a higher max speed, which is something that I enjoy, but the mountain bike will be easier to climb hills with, even though you will be going slower. Overall it is a personal choice and how the bike "feels" should be just as much part of the decision as all of these other things.
2003-12-19 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2686

Thank you for the thoughts. Yes, the Bianchi is noticeably lighter.

As for feel, I have not had a chance to compare them. Since my first event is not for 9 months I think I will get both of them set-up and alternate between them for the next few months. By doing this during my aerobic base building it should give me time to "feel" which one I am more comfortable with before the 18 week training program begins (when I want to have one bike that I will train and compete on).

Maybe even try a couple bricks with each to see if one or the other fatigues my legs more...Hey, that sounds like a plan.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Delonie
2003-12-20 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
At 6 feet and weighing 230 pounds, you are not too big for the Bianchi. I am the same height and weigh 220 and have ridden an aluminum bike six years now and it is still as stiff as it was when I bought it. I would suggest that you use the Bianchi; it is already set up for tri's what with the 650 wheels and the aero bars. Keep the Specialized for rock hopping or riding in the dead of winter. Here is a simple test, do a timed trial on your Specialized then jot down the time and how you felt physically after the effort. Then, do the same time trial on your Bianchi and note the time and effort expended; in all likelyhood, and providing all conditions are the same, you will have done the trial in less time and with less effort. Also, as this is an older bike, it probably does not have clipless pedals; invest in a pair, that will be the best investment your ever made.

2003-12-20 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2721

Thanks for the reply Machiavelo...
2003-12-22 2:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2003-12-22 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2754

Thanks for the reply Chris...The course is flat, unless they are understating a couple SMALL rolling hills. Below is the description from the race website...

"The bike course is a 16.2 mile loop with a mix of residential and rural roads. It is flat and fast, with only a couple SMALL rolling hills."

Again, thank you for your thoughts.

Regards,

Delonie
2003-12-23 5:22 AM

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
With all due respect Chris, I must disagree with your comments. If, as we have been informed, both bikes, the Bianchi and the Specialized, belong to deloniem, then we must assume that they fit him. In that case, no matter what type of course is laid out for a tri, the Bianchi is best suited for it. The only exceptions would be if the bike portion of a tri were being run in the woods or on rocky terrain. Even on the steepest of hills, a road bike with a 25 or 26 tooth cog in the back will get you up there as quickly, and with as much relative ease, as any mountain bike. Again there are certain limitations; put Lance Armstrong on a K-Mart mountain bike and pit him against me on $5000 Pinarello and he would win hands down! In this case, it would not be the bike but the cyclist.

In all honesty, a road bike is far more comfortable than a mountain bike on the raod simply because of the road bars which allow for different combinations of hand holds. Add aero bars, and you have even more comfort over the long run.

Regardless of your cycling abilities a standard gearing on your road bike will allow you to select the gear combination that suits you and allow you to conquer even the steepest hill.

Edited by Machiavelo 2003-12-23 5:35 AM
2003-12-23 5:39 AM

2003-12-23 6:18 AM
in reply to: #2789

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Chris,

As far as fitness goes, even the greenest of tri newbies would, in my estimation, benefit from riding a road bike as opposed to a mountain bike. There are, of course, exceptions to anything, you being an example in this case. You are quite simply a superior cyclist to the people you passed on your mountain bike. That is why I alluded to a competition between myself and Lance; my forte is hills, but even on the cheapest and heaviest of mountain bikes, Lance would beat me hands down, simply because he is better than me. But, once again, all things being equal, the proper tool for the proper job always wins out.
2003-12-23 6:55 AM

Edited by Chris Tree 2003-12-23 6:57 AM
2003-12-23 7:51 AM

Thank you Chris and Machiavelo.

My intentions were not to spark a heated debate, but I must say there was a lot of good information that came from it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Delonie
2003-12-23 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2798

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
When it comes to bikes, like in all other things, there are preferences and differences of opinions. (Just log on to the bicycling.com forum and you will read some very wild and pointed opinions.) I do respect Chris' opinion because that is what we are both offering here. There was no sarcasm or spite intented when I responded to his response, just my opinion. I am definitely not an authority on bicycles nor on triathlons. The bottom line in all this is that at this point in your tri career you ride what you are comfortable with.
2003-12-23 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2802

Champion

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie bike question: Would like your thoughts Rss Feed