75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 32s
Overall Rank = /75
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/6
Pre-race routine:

Up at 0500 for 2 oatmeals and a banana.
Sucked down a power gel 10 minutes before swim start.

Event warmup:

Light stretching and approx 50yd warm-up swim. Accidently ran into Homey who I hadn't seen since we flew together about 9 months ago. We both apologized, admitted we weren't looking where we were going and continued our swim. I think the pre-race swim is the most dangerous part. At least during the race, we're all going the same direction.
Swim
  • 15m 16s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did OK drafting but kept getting passed. Chick kept hitting me on her backstroke and kept gliding into me. Coulcn't get away. Decided to let her pass and draft off her then she veered right worse than I ever do.

Overall I'm happy with the swim. Left the water a bit tired but nowhere near as exhausted as last time.
What would you do differently?:

When somebody passes me, draft off him instead of drafting off the slow pokes I was behind.

Swim straight.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

I put my shoes on before getting on the bike. I hate to have sand in my shoes the rest of the day so I'll run in my shoes instead of my socks.
Bike
  • 39m 15s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Computer crapped out on me again. I think riding in that rain killed it. Need to work on it this week.
Got into the big chainring for a while but had to drop back down. I wish my computer was working so I can do a better job of pacing myself. It's hard to put in the right effort if you have no clue how much distance is left.
Transition 2
  • 02m

The first volunteer was actually yelling that the dismount line is coming up. I thought she was at the dismount line so I almost came to a stop until I saw the dismount line ahead. Need to scout that out a little better next time.
Run
  • 27m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt like crap when I started. Walked about 50 yards and started a light jog. Got into my groove about .5 miles in. After that, good run. Could have used more water, though.

Carry a water with me. More to cool me down than to drink. It was getting hot out there. Now I understand the draw of the reverse triathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and waited in line for a massage. Should have stretched but I didn't. Bad me!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't know where I was on the course so I couldn't set my effort appropriately. I wish there were mile markers anywhere. That would have been helpful. This race is growing and will get better.

Besides the obvious - train more, I don't think I could have done much better. If I had known where I was on the run, I could have pushed a little more. More aerobic base always helps and I'll get that this winter.

Event comments:

This was a good race as long as you went in with the right expectations. This was something put on by the base so we could get together and swim bike run. No chips, no splits. Awards ceremony was a bit confused but I had a good time. Athletes were friendly and volunteers were great.

Post-race massage was nice but it doesn't seem like anyone tipped them. At least I did.

I would have liked another drink station but I guess one at the halfway point is pretty much the standard for this length.

Last updated: 2006-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:16 | 600 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Trisuit
Course: Triangle course with right turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:15 | 12 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat course around base. Some roads good others not so much. Got into the big chainring for a while but had to drop back down. I wish my computer was working so I can do a better job of pacing myself. It's hard to put in the right effort if you have no clue how much distance is left. Need to see if I can work it out tonight before I go to sleep.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:31 | 03 miles | 09m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat somewhat shaded run through base housing. Saw MSgt Frantz cutting his grass when I ran by. This course had to be short! There's no way I ran 9.17 min/mile.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes