General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huddleston, Virginia
United States
Set-up Inc.
70sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 22m 6s
Overall Rank = 107/137
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight in the park. Got up at 6 am. Got dressed, packed up, and headed for the race site. I wanted parking near the transition area, as opposed to a mile away. Had 2 boiled eggs, a luna bar and a banana. After signing in, getting our numbers and timing chips, Richard and I prayed for the race, the racers, and the volunteers. Then we set up our tranisition areas and ran through our transitions mentally.
Event warmup:

Richard's wave was first. Mine was fifth. While he was starting, I got in the water to get used to it. Apart from stretching my arms a little, I did basically no warm up.
Swim
  • 34m 13s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

I guess I never do like swimming with a gazillion other people in the water. My performance was decent; about as fast as I can swim. It didn't feel so great, though. I got annoyed with people zig zagging into me. (I'm sure *I* was swimming straight.) I also had a hard time breathing... I was often breathing every stroke, as opposed to every other stroke.
GOAL #1 acheived: I beat Richard's swim time by just under a minute.
What would you do differently?:

Hmm... I guess I should have practiced open water swimming, breathing and sighting more, and more recently.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

This time includes the run up the hill (50 s). There's a steep, short hill out of transition. The volunteers were telling us to walk up the hill, then clip in. But I knew I could ride up the hill, so I clipped in and went. The volunteers were impressed with me!

In spite of opposite rolling, I consistently have trouble putting on my Sugoi tri top. I have to think about this. Different shirt? Different tactic?
Bike
  • 1h 30m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

The first thing I did, after getting myself up the transition hill, was to drop my water bottle. Yup, in under a mile. (Richard dropped *three* water bottles in the course, so I don't feel too bad.) Oh, and did I mention that I decided only to take one because they have a water bottle hand-off at mile 15? Yeah, so I was looking at 15 miles with no water. And my throat was dry from the swim. I was not happy about that. However, I noticed another "discarded" water bottle on the out-and-back portion of the route, so I was able to stop on the way back and grab it. So I drank somebody's something orange stuff. Provision!

The course was gorgeous, the hills big, the wind strong. Holy cow, the wind was strong sometimes! Going uphill, hit by a headwind gust was brutal at times. I put in a strong performance, though, and even passed a fair number of people. I had some trouble with my gears, which haven't been the same since I got my new wheel set.

Get my gears adjusted. Take two water bottles regardless!
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s

Nada. It was fine.
Run
  • 1h 12m 34s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good performance for me. I didn't know how 6+ miles would go over after 2 hours of other exercise. Well, this is where the training really paid off. The first half mile sucked. I had pain in my right foot. I expected it, and knew it would go away. It did. Then I got abdominal pain. I expected that, too, and it also went away. Things got better in mile 2. Going up the hills was brutal. In the second half, I was getting seriously light-headed going up hill. But I felt strong otherwise and positive and knew I could do it. I knew I was beating a 12-min. mile, so I was happy. I saw other people walking. I vowed not to walk. I didn't.
GOAL #2 acheived: I didn't walk.
GOAL #3 acheived: I finished.
GOAL #4 acheived: I beat my predicted most likely time (3:33:00).

I dunno... just keep training! Hope the running improves!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with deer-in-headlights look on face. Got water. Waited for Richard. Realized I was in pain. Sat down. Eventually, ate the race food provided by Outback. Yum.

Event comments:

This race was awesome. Very well organized. All the volunteers were great. A nice size. College teams lent some spunk.

Last updated: 2006-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:13 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 106/137
Performance: Good
2:02 per 100 yds.
Suit: zoot shorts and sport bra
Course: A truncated triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:30:43 | 24.85 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 94/137
Performance: Average
Average speed: 16.1 mph. Max speed: 36.7 mph.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Mostly a loop. Mostly rolling hills, with a couple brutal ones in there. Beautiful countryside.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:12:34 | 06.21 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/8
Overall: 116/137
Performance: Good
11:42 min/mile
Course: Same as the first part of the bike course. Some major hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-09-23 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse Rss Feed