Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Clinton rips... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-09-27 10:32 AM
in reply to: #552817

User image

Subject: RE: Clinton rips...

And you know what they say: once a liar always a liar.

I assume that applies to any man or woman, regardless of party.

2006-09-27 10:48 AM
in reply to: #553163

User image

Giver
ChrisM - 2006-09-27 11:32 AM

And you know what they say: once a liar always a liar.

I assume that applies to any man or woman, regardless of party.

Of course. Clinton seriously jeopardized his credibility when he lied about his sex life. BUt that being said, you do have to take the nature of the lie into account. I think lying about your sex life isn't as grievous about lying about putting lives at risk. But then again, lying under oath is pretty bad.

Edited by run4yrlif 2006-09-27 10:50 AM
2006-09-27 10:55 AM
in reply to: #551159

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

There is another difference.

Admission of a mistake/guilt and acceptence of the consequences.

To date, the current administration doesn't want to seem to own up the fact that they gravely underestimated the situation in Iraq.

There's been some lip service sound-bites, but the word coming from the White House vs. the word coming from the troops on the ground/in country, seem to be vastly different.

-Chris

2006-09-27 12:47 PM
in reply to: #553203

User image

Runner
coredump - 2006-09-27 11:55 AM

There is another difference.

Admission of a mistake/guilt and acceptence of the consequences.

To date, the current administration doesn't want to seem to own up the fact that they gravely underestimated the situation in Iraq.

There's been some lip service sound-bites, but the word coming from the White House vs. the word coming from the troops on the ground/in country, seem to be vastly different.

-Chris

Which troops vs. which sound bites?
2006-09-27 1:27 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

The administration's repeated claims that the insurgency is in it's last throws, that we're successfully quelling the sectarian violence, that we're winning, that things are going well, etc.

Couple that with the view of soldiers who have been and are currently there.

The "whack a mole" troop reinforcement to Bagdhad being touted as a success, which by accounts on the ground only manages to quell the violence when the troops are in a specific area.  As soon as the troops leave to go somewhere else, the violence returns to the area they just left.

I don't hear frank and brutal honesty about the situation from the administration.  I do hear it from returning soldiers and soldiers who are currently there.  Mainly via interviews and their statements, but some firsthand as well.

2006-09-27 2:04 PM
in reply to: #553419

User image

Runner
coredump - 2006-09-27 2:27 PM

The administration's repeated claims that the insurgency is in it's last throws, that we're successfully quelling the sectarian violence, that we're winning, that things are going well, etc.

Couple that with the view of soldiers who have been and are currently there.

The "whack a mole" troop reinforcement to Bagdhad being touted as a success, which by accounts on the ground only manages to quell the violence when the troops are in a specific area. As soon as the troops leave to go somewhere else, the violence returns to the area they just left.

I don't hear frank and brutal honesty about the situation from the administration. I do hear it from returning soldiers and soldiers who are currently there. Mainly via interviews and their statements, but some firsthand as well.

Most of what I hear has been firsthand accounts, since my unit got back about a year and a half ago, plus everyone else I meet when I'm in schools or whatnot. It depends on who you ask, and where that person was. I've talked to guys who have said they had zero problems with the locals, that they were treated well, and most people liked having the troops around because they provided stability. I've also talked to people who had an entirely different experience.

So, the question is....is it the government's job to give us a frank and brutal description of what's happening, or is that the job of the press? Sure, they could just report on what the press secretary hands them, and there's nothing wrong with that. Beyond that, look at the news clips from WWII. They didn't exactly give frank and brutal descriptions of how things were going in Europe or the Pacific.

2006-09-27 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I think the Press *is* giving a good description.  The problem I have is that the Press doesn't decided how to pursue a resolution to the situation over there.  The gist I get from the administration is "more of the same" which doesn't seem to be working well or heading in the right direction.

From what I've heard, most places the troops are welcomed and not greeting with outright hostility.  The problem is in all the places the troops aren't/can't be.  We beefed up security in parts of Bagdhad by displacing troops from elsewhere.

I don't think the administration is being realisitic or honest about what it is really going to take to bring long-term stability to Iraq.  Until they face up to the current plan not working, I don't see how they expect us to believe that anything is going to change for the better.

2006-09-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #553499

User image

Runner
coredump - 2006-09-27 3:24 PM

I think the Press *is* giving a good description. The problem I have is that the Press doesn't decided how to pursue a resolution to the situation over there. The gist I get from the administration is "more of the same" which doesn't seem to be working well or heading in the right direction.

From what I've heard, most places the troops are welcomed and not greeting with outright hostility. The problem is in all the places the troops aren't/can't be. We beefed up security in parts of Bagdhad by displacing troops from elsewhere.

I don't think the administration is being realisitic or honest about what it is really going to take to bring long-term stability to Iraq. Until they face up to the current plan not working, I don't see how they expect us to believe that anything is going to change for the better.

By administration, I assume you me the President and his advisors, but what about those in other offices?

Do you have a solution in mind? Something that will prevent Iraq from sliding into total chaos, while giving them the ability to lift themselves up to the point where they can stand as a united country again?
2006-09-27 2:50 PM
in reply to: #553511

Pro
Scout7 - 2006-09-27 3:35 PM

Do you have a solution in mind? Something that will prevent Iraq from sliding into total chaos, while giving them the ability to lift themselves up to the point where they can stand as a united country again?

This is an interesting question. I believe that there is no good resolution to the Iraq problem. I fear that the result of ousting Saddam (however good it was to get rid of that beast) will be civil war where, after more bloodshed, the most populous Muslim sect will take over government and establish a theocracy. The only way this will be prevented is if a country like the US backs a less populous sect and props them up (sound familiar?). The side that is backed, of course, will be a matter of selecting the least of three(?) evils.

As much as the US would like to establish a democracy, the departure of the troops, be it today, 5 years from now or 10 will be followed by a civil war. There is not, and there never was, any real upside to the US getting involved in Iraq.
2006-09-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: #553527

User image

Runner
I agree with the first part of that to an extent, but not the last part, and I'll tell you why.

Every first world country came from a similar background, in that they were non-democratic. Did it take a long time to change? Of course. But, then, look at countries like Japan. They went from a monarchy to a fairly democratic country rather quickly after the end of WWII. So, it CAN happen.

As for the reasons for being involved in Iraq specifically, at some point, we will have to be involved. This is that point. To stay out of the affairs of the Middle East the way we have so far has done nothing to really help the situation either. Think about it: before Iraq, we had a minimal presence in the M.E., other than diplomatic. So the way we were handling things before wasn't working either. That's why, to me, pulling out would be a huge mistake for two reasons: It sets a precedent, and it will be viewed as weakness by every single person in the Middle East, regardless of how it is spun by the terrorists, or imams, or anyone else. Because that is their culture. Additionally, it is in not just our best interest, but the world's best interest to see us succeed. One democratic nation can act as a stabilizing force in the region. It will increase economic potential for that country, and possibly its neighbors as well. So a democratic, or at the very least, a non-theocratic, government, in the Middle East will be of great importance.
2006-09-27 3:27 PM
in reply to: #553554

User image

Master
Denver
Scout7 - 2006-09-27 2:11 PM

I agree with the first part of that to an extent, but not the last part, and I'll tell you why.

Every first world country came from a similar background, in that they were non-democratic. Did it take a long time to change? Of course. But, then, look at countries like Japan. They went from a monarchy to a fairly democratic country rather quickly after the end of WWII. So, it CAN happen.

Japan is a very homogenous country though. Iraq in reality is three distinct polulations cobbled together. I think the best solution is probably 3 autonomous regions with a weak central government uniting them. I think we have to be prepared for the very real possibility that the only stable outcome may be for some sort of a theocracy aligned with Iran, at least to start out with. Not what we had in mind when we went in there, but I agree with you that it would be foolish to back out now. The catch is that being bogged down there severely limits our options in dealing with other problems, such as Iran.

2006-09-27 3:34 PM
in reply to: #553580

User image

Runner
I'm not so sure about that. There is a large groundswell of support in Iran for a more modern country, and one that embraces a much less theocratized (?) society and government. Which, if we do manage to maintain a democratic government in Iraq, could possibly be a tipping point for positive change in Iran as well.

Perhaps a governmental system to what you mention would work better. You could set it up along the lines of something similar to what occured in the U.S. when it was first founded. That could be a possible solution or goal to strive for.
2006-09-27 3:44 PM
in reply to: #553585

User image

Master
Denver
Scout7 - 2006-09-27 2:34 PM

I'm not so sure about that. There is a large groundswell of support in Iran for a more modern country, and one that embraces a much less theocratized (?) society and government. Which, if we do manage to maintain a democratic government in Iraq, could possibly be a tipping point for positive change in Iran as well.

That could be. I have seen several reports which say that the US is actually viewed in a (somewhat) good light in Iran. While the country is de facto run by clerics who are more fundamental than much of the population, Amidenajad(sp?) was recently democratically elected over an incumbent president pledged to reform. The US is so toxic right now though that I think whoever takes over the Iraqi government when we leave will have to completely wash their hands of us in order to have any credibility with teh Iraqi people and not be seen as our puppets. This combined with teh fact that Iraq has a Shia majority, as does Iran would make me think the way they would do this is to align with Iran.

Edited by drewb8 2006-09-27 3:45 PM
2006-09-27 3:49 PM

Pro
Scout7 - 2006-09-27 4:11 PM

As for the reasons for being involved in Iraq specifically, at some point, we will have to be involved. This is that point. To stay out of the affairs of the Middle East the way we have so far has done nothing to really help the situation either. Think about it: before Iraq, we had a minimal presence in the M.E., other than diplomatic. So the way we were handling things before wasn't working either. That's why, to me, pulling out would be a huge mistake for two reasons: It sets a precedent, and it will be viewed as weakness by every single person in the Middle East, regardless of how it is spun by the terrorists, or imams, or anyone else. Because that is their culture. Additionally, it is in not just our best interest, but the world's best interest to see us succeed. One democratic nation can act as a stabilizing force in the region. It will increase economic potential for that country, and possibly its neighbors as well. So a democratic, or at the very least, a non-theocratic, government, in the Middle East will be of great importance.

I agree that it's in everybody's best interest to see a stable, democratic Iraq. I just don't see it as being possible within the next 20 years. Any government that establishes itself while the US is there will be seen as a puppet of the US and is doomed to be overthrown as soon as the US leaves.

I'm not sure what the cost is of the US involvement there, and I guess we would need an actuary of extraordinary skill to give us an estimate of how much the US involvement will cost in 5 years, 10 years and 15 years from now. The point is, peace and/or democracy won't happen fast and eventually the pressure to leave will be too great to resist, even for somebody as single-minded as Bush.

I hope that I'm wrong and things will go much better than I predict I just have no reason to think that they will.
2006-09-27 3:51 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Scout7 - 2006-09-27 4:11 PM  But, then, look at countries like Japan. They went from a monarchy to a fairly democratic country rather quickly after the end of WWII. So, it CAN happen. .
May I suggest a little light reading that will help you in differentiating between the situation in Iraq and the aftermath of WWII Pacific.
"The Conqueror comes to Tea:Japan under MacArthur" 1946
"Japan Under MacArthur" 1951 review of his policies.
You may also want to study his models which were used in the Phillipines prior to WWII.

Short version...Japan is what it is today due to that period between the end of WWII and the beginning of the Korean War. But hey that's just my opinion. And to paraphrase Al"the internet" Gore: "sir I know Japan and Iraq is no Japan."
2006-09-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #553607

User image

Runner
Thanks, gullah, I will have to look into both of those.

I do realize that we are talking about two different situations, but I was trying to point that democracy can be established in other countries. Perhaps we should consider what McArthur did?

As for the rest, I wholeheartedly agree that this is by no means a quick process, nor an easy one. But that doesn't mean we should wash our hands of our responsibility.

Perhaps if we could get the UN involved as a peacekeeping / police force. It has had some level of effect in Bosnia/Serbia, although, we do still have troops there.

Either way, this has been a good discussion, and I know I've learned a few things. See, it CAN happen in CoJ....

2006-09-27 5:18 PM
in reply to: #553618

User image

Pro
Evanston,

The question is still, whether we're talking about US troops or UN peacekeepers, who are those troops supporting?  What sort of government?

Opus suggests it may be a matter of favoring and "propping up" a rule by the less populous sect.  But from my understanding (I'm no expert, but I try to pay attention), the least populous sect is the Kurds, who are our least problem.  They live largely in the north, can be semi-autonomous.  The internal conflict is mostly Sunni/Shiite.  Of those two, Sunnis would be the minority.  But, at least according to this article --> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12383-2004Dec19.html , those Sunnis are the ones preaching AGAINST any US-supported government, elections are a means of oppression, death to collaborators, etc. 

It's the inter-group conflict, with us "occupiers" in the middle, that makes this seem like such an impossible quandry.  On this one, I'm still looking for any proposal that looks like it could bring about stability.   It looks impossible.

2006-09-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: #553694

User image

Runner
Yeah, well, considering what the people on this site have accomplished, we should be embracing the idea of tackling another "impossible" thing.

I think that we hear a lot of rhetoric about anti-Americanism in foreign countries, but how often do we hear about pro-American sentiments? Almost never. So does that mean that we are the most hated country in the world? My point being that we may see it as an impossible task, but that does not mean that it is necessarily so. That is our perspective based on what we have heard.

I think that we can bring about a great reduction in the violence in Iraq. But again, it will take a long time. Much of the violence there is between groups who hate each other but aren't sure why they do any more. Think Hatfields and McCoys. To get them to stop fighting will take a generational change more than anything at this point. But, we need to have a generation brought up in an environment where they are able to express themselves freely, and without fear of their government stealing them away in the night. If everyone is afraid to start a dialogue, then we can never get to the root cause of the problem.
2006-09-28 8:05 AM

User image

Elite
Scout I heard T. Blair make the "generational" assertion and I disagree for this reason. Now I don't wnat to preach but the historical significance of the Bible can't be overlooked. From the earliest recordings the area of Iraq has been trouble. Such that God took Abraham out of there and led him elsewhere in order to carry out his plan. This area has never experienced what you or I would refer to as normalcy. In fact one may even say that SH exercised about as much control and stability over Iraq as it has seen. There are simply places in the world made for dictators/ Monarchs and this is one. Simply look at the former Soviet Uniion. That was a much more stable region when under the dominating influence of the Soviet. I'm wondering if we have to accept some of these unsavory types we're now fighting as legitimate much as we did the PLO after our escapade into Lebanon. We suddenly label them legit and turn the mess over to them.
2006-09-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #554133

User image

Runner
Interesting perspective, and perhaps there is a ring of truth in there. But, does that mean that we say forget it and wash our hands of the whole affair? Or do we try to perhaps provide some level of assistance? I think that because of globalization and everything else, we have a vested interest in at least attempting to stabilize the area. I don't mean from a terrorism standpoint either, but from an international relations / economic one.
2006-09-28 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Sorry for dropping out of the discussion.  I had to go train. 

I don't think Iraq is yet lost, nor am I advocating pulling all our troops home tomorrow.

Here's one example of how success can be achieved :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/15/AR2006021502586_pf.html 

The salient points of that article to me are:

- slow and deliberate action, not fast "strikes"
    - engaging the local population and showing them respect ( even as prisoners )
    - admission of previous mistakes in operations
    - you can't fight the insurgents, you have remove their support base
    - people are more important than technology/weapons/military strength  

This approach also would require a much greater force that is currently in place.  If we want to "win" then we need to commit 100%.  We tried to do it on the cheap with a smaller force, and it's been an uphill battle from day one.  It's not working, and Rumsfeld refuses to give up his pet cause of small ground forces and overwhelming air power and technology as being able to win wars.  Air power is an area denial weapon.  It may win military engagements, but it cannot *hold* the ground.  The only thing that ever has been able to hold ground is boots on the ground.

The success that has been seen, in terms of removing insurgency operations, we've acheived through soldiers working intelligently, not from the lastest whiz-bang JDAM guided weapons striking at suspected insurgent hideouts.

2006-09-28 11:42 AM
in reply to: #554208

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Chris, thanks for coming back.  I read the article; the tactics described sound startlingly sensible.  It's really making me think about a couple of things, none of which I'm able to express very eloquently right now.  But it is the first "this might work" scenario I've been able to even halfway BELIEVE in a long time.

It's scary to me that it involves more troops.  If those troops were all re-trained as described in the article, yes maybe this might work.  It would take someone with vision to really make this happen.

The more we keep doing it wrong the worse we are making it for ourselves.

I'll mull over the rest of this awhile.  Oh, and maybe go for a run or something, what did you call it? oh yeah, "training!" - now THAT was a great idea!

2006-09-28 1:05 PM

User image

Elite
SH killed insurgents and removed their support base. We're there killing a different group now referred to as insurgents and we are attempting to remove their support base. How long do we kill before our KIA's exceed SH's. What do we say then? "OH sorry!" "Oh sorry we had to kill a half million but hey aren't you happier". POTUS and his lackey's love to throw out the "cut and run" phrase everytime someone talks about getting out. I'm telling you guys we need to get out, get this behind us and move on. We need a POTUS not a defacto Iraqi leader in Washington. We need to get out now. There is no dishonor in doing what is right. But my definition of "insanity " is continuing to do the same thing with no results. It's time to stop the insanity in Iraq. 
2006-09-28 1:06 PM
in reply to: #554208

User image

Runner
Excellent article! And I agree with it wholeheartedly. A while back, we were having a similar discussion, and I brought up the idea of increasing the use of Special Forces-type units. What the articel describes is exactly what those guys are trained for, and how they operate.

I do think that there are more units that are following a similar tactic when it comes to their AOs. I have talked to guys coming back, adn they report doing something similar. And that's a good thing. I think that be necessity, this sort of counter-revolution is going to start in outlying areas, and build into the cities. So yes, it will take time. Hopefully, though, we can make what the 3rd ACR did a more common practice.

I don't know that the article is necessarily saying we need to increase troop levels significantly. I think that we need to use them more wisely.
2006-09-28 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
lmao, this has been great.  Very entertaining.  Thanks everyone
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Clinton rips... Rss Feed  

of 5