General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedaling backwards on a 'spin' bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-04 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Pedaling backwards on a 'spin' bike
I was in spin class the other day and I was pedaling backwards and the instructor said that was verboten. She said that it could damage the bike and also we are not built like flamingos and it isn't good for our bodies. Interestingly enough, a different spin instructor in the same gym had us pedal backwards as part of the routine!

I always thought that it is healthy to build up antagonistic muscles that aren't being used. Elliptical machines promote that.

Will I hurt myself? Why would one instructor encourage it and another say you aren't built to do it?

Cheers

2006-10-04 11:52 AM
in reply to: #560234

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Pedaling backwards on a 'spin' bike
I don't why someone would say to do it. To me, that's just asking for trouble. It's one thing to spin backwards on a road bike because there's no tension and sometimes I just do it to sort of stretch out the muscles. But, on a spin bike, there's alot of force from that flywheel spinning and I would definitely be concerned about my knees if my legs got caught too extended. Probably wouldn't happen but why risk it? Just thinking about it makes me cringe.
2006-10-04 12:23 PM
in reply to: #560266

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: RE: Pedaling backwards on a 'spin' bike
runnerx - 2006-10-04 11:52 AM

I don't why someone would say to do it. To me, that's just asking for trouble. It's one thing to spin backwards on a road bike because there's no tension and sometimes I just do it to sort of stretch out the muscles. But, on a spin bike, there's alot of force from that flywheel spinning and I would definitely be concerned about my knees if my legs got caught too extended. Probably wouldn't happen but why risk it? Just thinking about it makes me cringe.

It didn't seem too difificult to do.

I thought on an elliptical, it is encouraged so you can build up different muscles.

Cheers
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pedaling backwards on a 'spin' bike Rss Feed