General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to look for in a coach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-04 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: What to look for in a coach?
I am in the search for my first tri coach inorder to comlete my first IM and have a few questions. It seems that the majority of the coaches I find initially meet with me to talk over my goals, where I am at, and so forth then set up a training "plan" that I follow. After the intial meeting there is e-mail and phone contact, initated by me and that seems to be the extent. For those who have used coaches.... is the main thing you that fact that you are being held accountable and the fact that you are paying someone worh the time and money?

What is the general feel of you all of what level of face to face time with a coach is important?

2006-10-04 2:16 PM
in reply to: #560409

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: What to look for in a coach?
I think a lot of it has to do with accountability and having an experienced person setting out your training plan. You have to be able to trust them and know if you follow the plan you will make it to the starting line ready. Many people can do this with just online coaching very successfully from what I have seen.
Me, I preferred to sign up with a local trainer. I wanted to meet them first and see if I felt the right vibes about them. Also the one I am with has a local training group who communicate on yahoo groups and so get together for rides and runs etc if they want. We all went for a run last weekend and the next thing I know my trainer has emailed me with some comments on my running form. Very useful! I am also one of 15 training towards IM Lake Placid and it feels great to be part of a team of people who I will meet every now and again at our monthly meetings which discuss an aspect of the ironman.

I think you have to decide what level of personal involvment would suit you best and then look at the options in that category

Good luck
2006-10-04 2:24 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The following have some good thoughts on how to choose a coach and what you should expect.

http://www.coachgordo.com/mostcoach/index.html

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/hiringacoach.html

For some, face-to-face may be important.  Also, if the coach is local he/she may be able to help directly with working on your form in swimming or running.  Or perhaps with bike fit.  There may be organized group training now and then which might help you.  Most coaches also offer varied level of services, from canned plans to daily interation.  Basically, they are all personal choices.  You need to think about what will work best for you.

2006-10-04 2:35 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
I know that a there are time limits on the contact esp. phone contact with most coaches. I can't see a coach not return a call bc you will go over your minutes with him/her. This contact is time that is set apart to talk about the training in the past weeks and the coming weeks. If you have questions you should ask. This also will limit people from calling everyday to tell them how there workout went. Most coaches, although they make good money are still training themselves and want time to do this.

Make syre that your coach is certified, and the more certs usually the more knowledge.

I'd go with location for your coach. It is easier to talk to them and they will understand the area that you train in.

Price would be next, packages can range from "Beer to Champgne" if you know what I mean.

2006-10-04 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Definitely spend time interacting with the coaches you're looking at.  If you jump the gun based on a person's reputation or price or location, you may end up unhappy.  I saw that happen to SEVERAL of my friends this season because they made quick decisions to hire someone then found out later they were not seeing eye-to- eye with their coaches.  I probably interacted with my coach via e-mail for SEVERAL months before taking the step to hire him.  I also made sure I made it out to his location to meet him face to face first too.  I personally wanted a coach that I was going to be able to see face to face once in awhile.  Not all the time, just every now and then.  I thought that aspect was important because you can really read e-mails all day long and never comprehend a person.  To get along with a coach you both have to understand each other.

So, I guess I don't think you need a LOT of face to face time...but for ME it's important every now and then.  I was passing through Boulder where my coach lives and we went skiing one day.  I learned more about his coaching philosophy (and how to NOT him off!) in that one day than I had in months of e-mail contact!  Boulder is only 6 hours away from here and that happens to be the location of all the closest big races too, so I see him pretty often.

General accoutability is HUGE too, but you don't need face time for that.  My coach can MORE than guilt trip me via e-mail.  OMG, I hope I NEVER get a scather in person because that would just be scary!

So far, I think it's well worth my time and money.  I barely have time to get my workouts done, nevermind try to figure out which workouts to DO.  And I have gotten faster.  Under my coach I ran my fastest 1.5 mile PT test since college.  And set Oly PR's.  Not to mention I'm training smarter and learning along the way.  If I was just racing to get to the finish line, I probably wouldn't need one...but I plateaued and I hired my coach to get me PAST that plateau and eventually to an IM.  So...well worth it so far!

2006-10-04 6:20 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I've been using a coach for about 18 months now.

<< is the main thing you that fact that you are being held accountable and the fact that you are paying someone worh the time and money? >>

It is so much more than being held accountable. My coach designs my workouts; helps me with nutrition (very key for you doing an IM); helps adjust my workouts as needed for when life interfers with my training;  equipment selection..helped me decide right parts for my new bike; encourages me; has helped me become mentally tougher and race better; take extra rest when needed to stay healthy; I understand why I do workouts and what the goals are for them; and I enjoy training lots more now.

<<What is the general feel of you all of what level of face to face time with a coach is important? >>

My coach lives in the general area I do, but we do most interaction via email or phone.  They work with folks from all over the US and in other countries as well. If you want help with technique you can send in video and they will review it for you and give guidance. It tends to be cost prohibative atleast for me to have in person sessions.

I think the key to any coach/client relationship is the right fit. Contact a lot, ask questions, see if they listen to you, and if how they respond and what they say makes sense with you....doesn't matter if they are in the next town or across the country. I'd ask for references or know others that have used them and ask them about how they are to work with, how quickly they respond to questions, and other issues are that are important to you.

For me I wanted a program without limits of contact at a price I could afford. I selected 3 different coaches and spoke to them all, got references, and it was so clear to me which was best for me. I had thought I'd like one, but the group I hired was so much better. It is their full time business not something they do on the side, which for me meant they ran it more professionally; were easily reachable; and had education and years of experience helping other triathletes like me.

I really think working my coach Will is the key to my improvement and overall ability to stay healthy. I know I would have improved on my own but not as quickly as I have with him. Plus I have way more fun training with goals and knowing why I'm doing stuff and that it lays out well.  My number one goal or deciding reason for using a coach is I wanted to be as efficient with my time as possible...with 5 kids, I didn't want to spend time training that was a waste. I can't imagine now ever not having a coach as it has made 100% improvement in enjoyment of triathlons & training.

Of all the stuff and gadgets you can get to do tris, I think hiring a coach is the best investment.

My coach if you are interested is [email protected] if you want to check out their website: www.tri-hard.com. Now is really the time to start with a coach as you have all winter to gain skills. I wish when I started in the fall, but my first year started in March...I made much greater gains the second year as I had more time to build my base. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to look for in a coach? Rss Feed