Safe Journey
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 20m 58s
Overall Rank = 26/242
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Ate my usual raisin bran cereal. Made sure I drank some water closer to the race start since that seems to be one problem I consistently have - dry mouth/thirst.

40 degrees when we woke up so put on running pants, t-shirt, long sleeve fleece and fleece ear warmer.
Event warmup:

Jogged to event with hubby since we live 3 or 4 blocks away from the starting line. Got our timing chips, then did some more jogging and stretching. Got there a little too early. Felt too warm after awhile with the sun beating down on us, so ditched the long sleeve shirt and ear warmer. Then got horribly cold waiting for the start, so I was convinced I was going to get pneumonia.
Made the decision to stick with my hubby for the race so we could run it together for fun.
Run
  • 20m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out very fast in order to get the heck out of the mass chaos at the very beginning. Lost Rob in about 5 seconds. Decided pretty quickly that I wasn't going to run with him since I'm just too darn competitive... Then kept up the fast pace because I like to find people I can try to stay with. Knew after about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 of a mile in that I was probably going too fast, but worked hard on focusing on my breathing so I could take my mind off of my pain and took my pace down a notch. The stretch from the turn around to Turk Hill Bridge is loooooong and can really break you down mentally. Plus I was running all alone, which I realized I don't like at all. Kept Marmadaddy in my sights most of the way, then was able to catch up with him and we ran together for a ways. I helped keep him going and he helped me take my mind off of how bad I felt. It was great having somebody I know to run with! :) When I got in sights of the Parker Street bridge, that's where I had told myself I was going to start kicking it into gear, so I said goodbye to Mike and picked up my pace and passed a woman who I thought might be in my AG (she was the winner of the Master's division, so I guess she's not in my AG!). I thought for sure I was going to vomit that last 2/10 of a mile, but crossed the finish without embarrassing myself like that. I saw the time at the finish line and really wanted to cross it before it hit the 21 min. mark because then I knew my pace would be under 7 min, which I never really thought I'd do.
What would you do differently?:

Have the confidence to get up in front of the line with all of "those" runners, so I don't have to play "dodge the feet" in order to get to a pace I'm comfortable with.

Train at a faster pace if that's what I think I want my pace to be consistently. I'd like to be able to run like that and not feel like I'm really, truly going to die at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, waited for Rob, who, BTW, was not at all that far behind me!! He ran great today - 21:50, 7:02 pace, 4th in AG!! :)
Downed a bottle of water very quickly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

Event comments:

Didn't like the music they played...
But, race was very well run and Fleet Feet people always seem so efficient and friendly.

Last updated: 2006-10-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:58 | 03.11 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 26/242
Performance: Good
I ran the first mile in 6:28.
Course: A relatively easy course. Billed as a PR course, which in my case, it was. Very flat and straight.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-07 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k

2006-10-07 5:52 PM
in reply to: #563499

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k

You didn't "help" keep me going, you DID keep me going. I was seriously considering backing off when you pulled up. Thank you.

Great job today and congrats to Rob.

2006-10-07 6:30 PM
in reply to: #563499

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k
Sweet run girl
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scarecrow Safe Journey 5k Rss Feed