General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water, Water all day long yet still thirsty Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-28 7:27 AM

Subject: Water, Water all day long yet still thirsty
I workout nearly everyday and therefore tend to drink lots of water. I drink close to 100 oz a day, yet I always seem thirsty and dehydrated. I know that a tendancy to be thirsty is a sign of diabetes, but everytime I have had my blood sugar tested I come out normal. Any thoughts on why I might feel so thirsty and any remedys. I can not seem to get any more water in me than I already do. One last item I am a moderate coffee drinker, no more than 3 cups a day, and normally do not drink anything else other than water all day long.

2004-07-28 8:05 AM
in reply to: #41067

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Water, Water all day long yet still thirsty
if it were me, I'd be asking these questions of my doctor, not a group of strangers on the internet!  Really, go see your doctor, it could be serious, hopefully it's not.
2004-07-28 11:39 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
I'm with Ellen, get it check out by your Dr.
2004-07-31 6:48 PM

Some medications can make you thirsty, like Lithium, you might want to look into any medications you are taking, or if there is excessive salt in your diet. It could be something hormonal too, there are some syndromes that can cause "polydipsia" (excessive thirst).

Good luck, see if you can get any answers with your doctor, let us know if you find anything.
Julie
2004-08-18 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
My mother had similar syptoms (being thirsty all the time) and it ended up being attributed to her thyroid. You should definietly talk to your Doc about this.

Adios
Dave
2004-08-20 8:34 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Time to visit a doctor and see if you can get a referral to an endocrinologist.

2004-08-28 12:36 AM

San Diego, CA
i'm sensing that everyone is in agreement that you need to talk to your doctor. but wouldn't you already if you've already had a blood test? but you should give your doc as many details as you can. like if you feel thirstier in the evening. things like that. good luck!
2004-08-31 9:33 PM

User image

Kentucky
Yeppers I agree with everyone here, please tell your doctor. Though, I too find when I drink more water, it makes me more thirsty. A girl at work and I had this dicussion "does drinking water make you more thirsty?" and we both agreed that it does. I don't really know, but I'd definatly talk to your doc about it! Take care and let us know what he/she said!
2004-09-14 5:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Hi there,
I had the EXACT same problem and still do - I have had every test done and there is nothing wrong - I am just thirsty - so I drink and drink and drink - it's like another full time job...
I had tests for diabetes, thyroid problems, kidney, liver function etc etc
It's wierd, but I just go with it - hopefully you will feel better - do you actually feel ill or tired at all? I feel great apart from this constant thirst...
Could be air conditioning or something like that?
Please see your doctor though! You need to know.
Take care
:-)
2004-09-15 10:22 PM

Do you have allergies? Two reasons: a) antihistamines can tend to make you thirsty; b) if you are congested you tend to "mouth breathe" drying out the mucous membranes in your mouth making you feel thirsty.

I also think there is something to the drink more = increased thirst thing... I read it somewhere, but can't remember where.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water, Water all day long yet still thirsty Rss Feed