Santa Rosa Island Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 4/23
Pre-race routine:

I went all out for my FIRST RACE. Lol I had a checklist for everything, and like Santa Clause I definetly checked it twice. I even went so far as to.... this is a little embarrasing... shave my legs. For the first time in my life I took shears to my ever so hairy legs. My girlfriend helped (can you believe it) and it took over an hour!

Event warmup:

GBreakfast was a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich. Molly and I left early and got to the race site over an hour before the first wave start. Got marked and chipped and set up my transition area just like I planned. Hydration was on my mind so I made sure to drink plenty of water, which ended up making me have to goto the bathroom like 3 times before the race lol.
Swim
  • 07m 43s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a running start into the water, the under-29 males were the last heat. I was SO NERVOUS at the start, very fidgety. Once I hit the water though, it was all gravy. I thought I was going to be scared, but I really wasn't (which was a nice surprise!) There were people everywhere, but I just kept my head in the game and it didn't bother me.

One of those guys must have been an ex-boxer lol. Rounding the first buoy I took a left hook to my temple that made my see stars! I took a few more light shots after that, but I think I won the fight. That and a little swallowed water was the only hang-up
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, the lead guy in my age division swam a 6:43! But honestly I am super happy
Transition 1
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Decided to throw on a bike jersey during T1, bad idea. It got stuck and cost me like 15 seconds. I wore socks also, NO MORE SOCKS. I am just going to get some tri-shoes so that I can easily go sockless. I rigged the bike so that my shoe was held in position, thus I could step up over the bike quickly. Getting into the shoes was also nice and quick due to my practicing.

1) No shirt
2) No socks
3) Have a pail to wash off feet maybe
Bike
  • 38m 17s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt really great, I was breathing hard the whole time but I never really felt it in my legs (no burn). I passed plenty of people both ways. I did about 18 on the way out, and 24.5 on the way back. For some reason my avg speed was still only 20ish so all those turns and whatnot cost me some time. 10 weeks ago I had NEVER ridden a road bike, so I am pretty happy with the results!

Push the headwind section a little harder
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Simple and fast, grabbed the race belt and off I went

Not a thing!
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Not too happy with the run, just way too slow. By then I had been breathing like a maniac for almost an hour. My legs felt fine, but I just couldn't breath any harder, and I needed the oxygen in order to speed up! I was a little frustrated, but I still felt like I wasn't going too slow. If I could have run my standard 5k I could have pulled 2nd place overall.

Wear a watch, the time would have motivated me and helped me realize how slow I was going. However this is my first race so I didn't know how to feel or what to expect, I am happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and chatted with the parents.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lungs were just plain tired, needed more speed work/short-term endurance work.

Event comments:

Great after race party with free beer, red beans and rice, and snacks. The prizes were great as well. I get a little bitter that the elites get all the cool stuff (they are already faster than us AND they get money and prizes haha) They handed out these really neat hard-carved tiki gods to the top people, I really wanted one lol. Maybe some day!

Last updated: 2006-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:43 | 586 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 5/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:41
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:17 | 13 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/23
Overall: 4/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: 6.5 out to the east, and 6.5 back. Strong headwind out and sweet tailwind on the return!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 4/
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back to the west, side of the road marked off with cones
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-08 10:50 PM

User image

Subject: Santa Rosa Island Triathlon

2006-10-08 10:59 PM
in reply to: #564153

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: RE: Santa Rosa Island Triathlon

Nice concise race report. 

Congratulations on your first race.  That is a truly great time, first race or not. 

2006-10-08 11:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Nice race report.  It sounds like you enjoyed yourself and didnt stress.  Way to go!  4th place is awesome.
2006-10-09 7:16 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

Great race! Not too shabby for your first race!

You should be very happy with your results

2006-10-09 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Matt,

You gotta be really proud of this one. You were prepared both physically and mentally and didn't make mistakes while you burned up the course. Hard to believe this was your first tri. Your potential is so great and I look forward to reading more of your race reports. Congrats and good luck next week, I expect a podiium from you in Destin.

Look forward to riding with you again soon.

Ken
2006-10-09 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bend, OR
Great race report.  Congratualtions on getting 4th in your first Tri! 

2006-10-09 10:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Matt, whether you believe it or not you had a great first race. You did almost everything right., and learned some things you want to change. Even with all your practice there is still a learning curve to overcome. As to your run, remember, it wasn't a 5K, it was a 5K after a 10K (at least in terms of time/effort on theswim and bike.)

Great report, and I too think there will be some hardware for you in Destin.
2006-10-10 12:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Damn dude, great job for your first race!!

Shanks
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Rosa Island Triathlon Rss Feed