General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-09 7:44 PM

User image

Regular
Louisville, KY
Subject: Bike shops
I've just moved to Louisville from Lexington, and I'm looking for a really good bike shop. In Lexington I always went to Scheller's and I know there are two in Louisville, but I want to know if there are any other good ones in the area especially for triathlons. I'm willing (though reluctant) to go as far as Indy for the rest of the gear for my bike. Since I need shoes, pedals, aerobars, and possibly a trainer I'm willing to look far and wide for the best help and prices. If there isn't one that is really good for triathletes I'll go back to Scheller's in Lexington because they've always been great to me. Anyone got any suggestions?

2006-10-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #565028

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Bike shops
It's been couple of years since I lived in Louisville (I grew up there and went to Trinity) but at the time, the best place to go was St Mathews Cyclery on Shelbyville Rd. When I first started to do Tri/Biathlons in the mid-80's, that was the place that that had all the good training rides, and had the latest high tech stuff. I do know that place is still there, though there is probably a bazillion more great places.

If you decide to drive up to Indy, I'm there now, drop me a line and I'll get you shop info.
2006-10-10 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY

I personally always use Cyler's Cafe on Lexington Road near Cherokee Park. Scheller's, Bicycle Sport in St. Matthews, and Clarksville Schwinn all have pretty good reputations. I'd suggest dropping in on a few of them to see if you are comfortable with them instead of driving to back to Lexington. The one caveat to all of this is that I'm not sure that any of the Louisville bike shops truly cater to triathletes.

BTW, don't be too discouraged if you do stop by Cycler's Cafe.  They have a pretty small shop, but can and will get their hands on anything you want. 

Edited by devilwillride 2006-10-10 3:02 PM
2006-10-10 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
Louisville, KY
I just went to Cycler's Cafe yesterday to buy a new pump. It was definitely small, and I you're right about the triathlon gear. It seemed pretty sparce, but the food looked good. Besides that one I've been to the Bardstown Rd Cycle Shop. It is big, but has very little tri gear. They only had one set of clip on aero bars when I was there, and no pumps for presta valves.
2006-10-29 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Definitely try Clarksville Schwinn and when you go, ask for Bob. You won't find better stuff at a better price anywhere around Louisville. Though there are not many bike shops in Louisville that cater to triathletes, Bob will order anything you want... and best of all, he'll give you a great price!

If you don't want to travel across the river, Cycler's Cafe is probably best for repairs and ordering things you need. Bicycle Sport is very good, but they will only work on bikes they sell... but do offer limited tri equip. For other tri equip (non-bike) related, try Fleet Feet on Bardstown Road. They're beginning to expand their selection of tri gear.

Just my .02, hope it helps!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops Rss Feed