General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dizzy -- is this swimmer's ear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-28 2:40 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Dizzy -- is this swimmer's ear?
I don't feel like I have water in my ears, and I don't have any unusual congestion. But I woke up yesterday (Tuesday) morning very dizzy when I turn my head suddenly, or bend over.

My ears feel fine, but someone mentioned "swimmer's ear" to me and it got me thinking. I had water in my left ear after my swim on Sunday, but I think it worked its way out.

Anyone else have this sensation? Does it go away? I'm afraid to do any training for fear of falling over or getting sick. And forget about swimming and all that twisting! Whoa... I feel dizzy just thinking about it!

2004-07-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #41234

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Dizzy -- is this swimmer's ear?
Good definition. I use plugs now since any water in my ear causes extreme pain and discomfort

http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/ears/swimmers.cfm
2004-07-28 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Sensation that the ear is blocked or full
Drainage
Fever
Decreased hearing
Intense pain that may radiate to the neck, face, or side of the head
The outer ear may appear to be pushed forward or away from the skull
Swollen lymph nodes

It's not any of these things. Hrrmmmmm. Now I'm really confused.
2004-07-28 3:54 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
When I swam in Highschool and before, I noticed the same thing... getting up fast would cause me to blackout just a bit or feel dizzy. I was out of shape for several years, and just recently have gotten back into the kind of aerobic shape I was in back then. My mom used to tell me that this was from low blood pressure, and that she had the same thing when she was growing up, and was into athletics. I never verrified what it was with a doctor, but it seems like dehydration or low blood pressure could be plausible explinations, although I'm almost always pretty well hydrated.

I should mention that it's a different feeling than the one right after getting out of the pool or lake after an intense swim - that's a more "pure" dizzy feeling, but I never have a sense that I'm on the edge of passing out after swimming.

I'd love to hear if others have similar experiences and if so, suggestions for fixing it.

It's not bad deal, it just looks silly to my co-workers when I jump up to go to lunch and then have to grab a wall 5 seconds later.

~Keith
2004-07-28 3:59 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
It's not that I get dizzy standing up suddenly. I used to have that because I have low blood pressure. And I've fainted enough in my life to know that feeling too well, sadly.

This is different. If I turn my head quickly, it's like my head keeps turning. If I bend over it's like the world keeps rolling. The only other times I've felt like this was when I had a horrible hangover (years and years ago, thankfully). Or like when you spin in your chair quickly and then get a little "whoa... the world kept going" feeling.

I'm sure it's an inner-ear thing, but I wonder if it's caused by water in my ears.

It's really annoying me.
2004-07-28 4:00 PM
in reply to: #41252

Boylston, MA
If it lasts more than another day, you should probably go see your doctor. You may have an ear infection or fluid buildup of some sort. I've also had that happen to me (dizzy for a few days) and then all of a sudden a full-blown cold developed. Turned out the dizziness was just the precursor to it. Bleh!

When I was a kid and swimming every day, there was a trick to help prevent swimmers ear. Pour half a capful of rubbing alcohol in your ear and let it sit for just a few seconds, then drain onto a tissue or cotton ball or whatever. Mixing the alcohol with whatever water was in your ear helped it dry/evaporate faster. At least, that was the theory we all had. :lol

2004-07-28 8:59 PM

Regular
salem ma
I get the quick dizzies(my term, not a real medical one) from dehydration or low blood sugar. I bagged cut up oranges to my swimming meets, which seemed to help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dizzy -- is this swimmer's ear? Rss Feed