of 2

2006-10-17 7:08 PM
in reply to: #571250

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-10-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: #569801

New user
Subject: RE: Murhpy Dog up for Adoption (?)
Glad to hear your wife is willing to work on things to try and keep Murphy - he looks adorable! Also, it will be a challenge for your wife, but hopefully she can ease her nerves a bit. If she is constantly generating nervous vibes around the dog and your child, he will feel that too. Generally, keeping food and dogs and kids separate is a good idea. The best of dogs generally dont like to share or have their food taken. But she definitely needs to earn some dominance with the dog, especially around food.

I have an 8 year old lab mix who has never bitten anyone. He did try to nip a nephew who threw a rock at him a few years ago (evil inlaw spawn), but quickly stopped himself and looked at me. Just about a week ago though, he bit (put his mouth around and gently squeezed, like he was trying to figure out how to do it properly - no mark or skin break) the fridge delivery guy around the ankle - as the guy was lifting the fridge into the house! I was so upset and wracked with guilt. The delivery guy was awesome, went back over to Sammy (who was now crouching in the other room hiding after being yelled at by me) and snuggled him and told him it was ok.

I took him to the vet right after (already planned) and has his toes clipped, since they were getting really long (we have to put him under for it). Vet said, with the nails as long as they were, even a slight bump of his toes would have been painful, coupled with the strain of a stranger entering the home unattended while carrying a fridge could have easily caused it. (I was in the other room, not paying much attn, since Sammy had been so nice and loving to the guy when he first arrived).

Three days later we had about 30+ ppl in our home for our house warming party - including about a bazillion kids. Sammy was wonderful and no signs of nipping. I was nervous, as I am sure your wife is now. The thought of having to get rid of Sammy if he gets aggressive in his old age breaks my heart.

What's my point? Uh, I forget!

Sorry for my ramble!
2006-10-19 9:08 AM
in reply to: #569801

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Since Mike 45 asked what was up on the Murphy front, here’s the update:

My suggestion was the she take Murphy to obedience class.  Just her so the he learned that she was in control.

Wife asked me to call the vet for input.  Did that.  Vet said the FIRST thing she recommends is that the dog and the person who is having the problem go to….wait for it…wait….Obedience class. (and the crowd goes wild).  Since it was a woman vet I thanked her for proving that every time the hubby speaks, he is not wrong.  The vet also asked us to make sure Murphy is not allowed on furniture when we are home and the simple stuff like my wife should be the first one out the door and the first one back in.  Also, never put him in the cage for discipline.  In the case of pulling food off the counter, put Murphy in another room.   And overall, try to not give Murphy the sense he was to defend himself.
2006-10-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #572585

Pro
Orange Park Florida

YEA! 

Murphy stays....right?

2006-10-19 10:19 AM
in reply to: #572585

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
tupuppy - 2006-10-19 10:08 AM Since Mike 45 asked what was up on the Murphy front, here’s the update:

My suggestion was the she take Murphy to obedience class.  Just her so the he learned that she was in control.

Wife asked me to call the vet for input.  Did that.  Vet said the FIRST thing she recommends is that the dog and the person who is having the problem go to….wait for it…wait….Obedience class. (and the crowd goes wild).  Since it was a woman vet I thanked her for proving that every time the hubby speaks, he is not wrong.  The vet also asked us to make sure Murphy is not allowed on furniture when we are home and the simple stuff like my wife should be the first one out the door and the first one back in.  Also, never put him in the cage for discipline.  In the case of pulling food off the counter, put Murphy in another room.   And overall, try to not give Murphy the sense he was to defend himself.

Excellent news!

My lab has been a little pill lately and doing bad things. She had free reign of the house at all times.  She's not allowed on  furniture (doesnt' do it when I'm home), but I know she's on it at night and when I'm not home.  Anways, after her acting up last week I started to gate her in my hallway and kitchen when I'm not home since she somewhat did damge to my furniture.  And sometimes now when I'm home I leave the gate up.

My first instinct was that she'd be really mad that she has restrictions.  But surpirsingly, she's acting better now without having free reign of the house than when she did!  She now sleeps on her doggie bed at night as opposed ot the couch.  I honestly think that having some restrictions for your dogs make them respect you more.  It's weird...but I think it's a good way to remind them who's really in charge.

I'm sure Murphy and your wife will get along fine with the few changes your vet recommended.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Murhpy Dog up for Adoption (?) Rss Feed  

of 2