Richmond MultiSports
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 20s
Overall Rank = 183/261
Age Group = 40
Age Group Rank = 34/47
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 and ate a bananna and drank some gatorade. Left the hotel at 5:30 and headed to Sheetz for the allmity cup of coffee!! My GOD it was cold, only 37 and not to get above 67 for the day. Got to the T at 6:05 and started the unpacking process and set up quickly. Decided not to wear the Tri-suit and instead wore swim suit then for the bike and run wear Under Armor!!!. We were able to wait inside the ACAC fitness Center till the swim started. And thank God for that because I would have been a popsicle.
Event warmup:

None really. Did a few stretches and had some GU and Gatorade during the hour wait.
Swim
  • 11m 42s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was 442 starting the swim. They seeded everyone according to sent in time for 400m. Started at a set time. They divided the pool odd/even each in 4 lanes, a swimmer every 15 sec. Was great for me becasue 440 wasn't in front of me so I got 30!! Thank god for that. Started off a bit to fast because I was affraid of the guy behind me swimming over top me. He had said that he sent a wrong time in and was going to be faster than I was. So then my HR got way to high(175)and was hard for me to calm down. Had to take a couple of breaks at the end of the lanes. Only had two people pass and it was while I was taking the breathers.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in a 50m pool just to get the feel for it. And also not start out to fast.

Transition 1
  • 05m 17s
Comments:

Had to go from inside the pool-outside in freezing temps. Had a long run from the pool into the T. Decided that I would take the time to put on Under Armor leggins and shirt for the run. Was a bitch trying to get the leggins on with wet legs. Ladies you know my pain-just like putting pantyhose on with wet legs!!! So that SLOWED me down, but also didn't care because I hate the cold and didn't want to freeze on the bike. Also had a time trying to get my feet into the pedal toe clips. Considerin the temp and the clothes I put on, I'm happy with the transition.

Really try not to be bothered by the cold. But know that won't happen. Get a good bike with clip in shoes.
Bike
  • 49m 44s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.00 mile/hr
Comments:

After a slow start because I couldn't get my foot into the toe-clips and trying to warm-up the cold legs,things started looking up. Nice steady pace till I got to the down hill portion. The down hill would have been a bit more enjoyable if the weather would have been warmer. Arms got very cold. Got to pass a couple of gals, and a bunch of guys passed me. The hill at Winterfield was a BEAR, but was actually managable for me. Just geared down to the mid range gears and pushed! Was able to gear up on the flat areas of the hill. Also passed a few people and got passed a few times. When I got to the top was surprised that we were done with the hill. Really had it in my head that it would be really rough, but surprised myself how strong I was. After the hill really took the speed up and pushed hard.

Maybe push a bit harder on the climb, but not having been on the course,didn't want to over do it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

This T was a bit slower that the lst race because I had to take off the biking shorts and I changed my shirt. Otherwise happy.

Do races that aren't so cold that you have to put on clothing then take it off!! Just speed up my transitions are SLOW!!!
Run
  • 34m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good starting off on the run. Really just kept a steady pace and enjoy the sunshine. Finally it was starting to warm up!! That or I was!? Really happy with my run because I dislike running! Had a GREAT strong sprint across the finish.

PUSH HARDER. I have a hard time judging how far I have to go. I saw the 1 mile marker but never saw the 2 and wasn't sure how far I had to push. So I need to get better at that!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Was great to come across the line and have my family running up to me; as happy as I was. Feels really good to have your family be so supportive and proud of you!!! Grabbed an apple and oreos then went back to the chute to wait and cheer Klynne on. We then grabbed a piece of pizza showered and then headed for some lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really think that if it wasn't so cold that my times would have been better. My goal was to do this race faster than my first. But with the cold/clothing changes/and the hill I really believe that I would have.

Event comments:

All in all, for only having done two races I'm proud of myself. Was really worried how I would do on the hill and it was OK. The cold really slowed the tansition times down for me but I knew that it would be the case. The race was VERY well organized and was happy not to have to travel far for this race. Very happy with all the great volunteers at this race, and was rally good to see people in the neighborhoods cheering us on as well.

Last updated: 2006-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:42 | 400 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/47
Overall: 227/261
Performance: Below average
Suit: swimsuit
Course: 400m pool snake swim in a 50M pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:49:44 | 12.43 miles | 15.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/47
Overall: 145/261
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: All major roads- First a down hill then a good steady climb that leveled off twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:12 | 03.11 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 33/47
Overall: 1092/261
Performance: Average
Course: Flat through a gorgeous neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-17 8:35 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Richmond Sprint Triathlon

2006-10-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: #570659

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Richmond Sprint Triathlon
GREAT race!!!! You conquered the hill and you did the run with a 10 min mile pace - you are a speed demon!!! I am convinced that experience is the key to having a good swim when you do a tri. Even if you are really fast and have trained by swimming a zillion yards - being in the water with others, getting knocked into and swam over, throws you a curve. We'll get there. So, what race and you planning to do next spring/early summer???

Edited by crabsrule 2006-10-17 9:50 AM
2006-10-17 11:53 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Good job!  Conditions on Sunday were really rough.  It seems to be really cold every year for this tri.  I think the reason the hill is so tough is that it just goes on forever.  Every time you think you're done, you find out it keeps going.  Maybe more mentally tough than it is physically?  Anyway, great job, especially with all of the clothing changes during transition! 
2006-10-17 4:20 PM
in reply to: #570816

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
I had really worried about the hill and when it came down to it, it wasn't as bad as my head made it.  I was surprised to pass people on the hill with a MTB to boot. I had hoped to do better than my first race but with the cold and the hill I think it was a great race.  Just really wish that I would have started earlier because now I have to wait till next spring fir another race.
2006-10-18 11:10 AM

great job! It was my first tri as well -- since we met the challenge of the cold conditions, think what we can do next season! It was amazing that 40% of the field were 1st timers...impressive!

There is a 50 m pool in Newport News (called Midtown, on Jefferson Ave.) It's only set up as a 50 m some of the time and I 'm not sure what the membership fees are, but if you don't have anything closer it might be an option for you. I was able to swim at a 50m pool in Norfolk a couple of weeks b/f the race and that did make a difference -- 50 m feels alot different than 25y or 25m.
2006-10-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #571764

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

Thanks for the info.  I think that what really bother me was the guy behind me tapping my feet the whole time.  If he wanted to pass he should have just went.  I then tried to speed up and then my HR got to high. All in all I feel I did well but there's always the run that gets me.  Really am slow and staedy on the run.  Want to work on speed over the winter and then look out!!!

2006-10-18 11:26 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Nice race, especially for your second Tri.   I did my first a couple weeks ago and I have my second on Nov 4.  It is cool to read your report because it completely reminds me of myself.   I think the first few races are all about getting experience racing.   We shouldn't even be thinking about times yet. 

You mentioned on my race report that you would love to be racing in Utah.  Well I would love to be racing in Virginia!  Maybe next year we can trade race venues!  

2006-10-19 5:58 AM
in reply to: #572418

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA

Thanks for the in-put. And good luck with your next tri!! I was a bit disapointed that I didn't beat my first time but I can't compare the two races. First was flat and only 11 mile bike.  This had the cold, and the hill and 13 mile bike.  So all in all I'm pleased.  Not everyone can say they have even do a tri so that's what keeps me going forward.  Now I have the winter to build speed and edurance.

Have you been to VA?  We love it but its second to UT for us.  To bad our families are close to here or we would move back.  Maybe when the kids get out of school we'll settle there.

Are there any races around the 4th of July because we will be visiting then?

2006-10-19 6:15 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Great Job!

Being from Wisconsin I know the cold, and no it is not fun, but everyone does it anyway.

Congratulations and keep it up!

(triathlonanimationgif.gif)

Attachments
----------------
triathlonanimationgif.gif (27KB - 39 downloads)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed