General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon in 30 days! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-30 9:28 AM

Subject: First Triathlon in 30 days!
Ok, so I have decided to get off my butt and try my first tri...in 30 days. It's a sprint. I have started running and biking and will beging swim training this weekend. Any advice (and please, no "don't do it", "that's dumb"). I've heard all of that I need from my wife. ;-) I am looking for training advice, etc. Thanks!!!

John

2004-07-30 9:32 AM
in reply to: #41800

User image

Expert
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: First Triathlon in 30 days!
Get your a$$ to the pool and swim! Good luck!
2004-07-30 9:47 AM

First of all, what is your fitness level, especially on the bike & run? Second, how well can you swim? This will go along way to determing what you should do for the next 30 days. The one thing you should not do is try to over train for the next 30 days. If you are not used to training for 6 days a week, don't start now. If you try and train to hard, you will be asking for injuries. Take it easy and start slow.

Training for your first Tri in 30 days is tough, unless you have a good solid background in at least one of the disciplines (running being the best.)

What are the distances in the race and what is your training plan for the next 30 days? Again I want to stress that it is important that you don't try and over do your workouts.

2004-07-30 10:02 AM

The distances are .3 miles, 12.4 miles, and 3.1 miles. I am comfortable on the bike and the run. My brother-in-law is a road bike racer, so he his helping me out. RE: swimming...I swim like a rock...like to breaststroke, hate to freestyle. I have seen other people refering to the Total Immersion book...I am going to go get it today. Honestly, that is the part that troubles me the most. I don't want to panic out there. But, from what I have read, that is the most troubling part for most people. My goal is to finish the race, not to kill myself. I just don't know how many days a week to train for swimming considering where I am at and the short time I have until the race.

John
2004-07-30 10:09 AM

Extreme Veteran
Swim three days a week if you're comfortable with the run and bike would be my advice. That way you have two other days to train and two days off. You could add a run or bike to a swim day and then work the other two in whichever way you want. Might want to brick once or twice for a small time before your tri as well.
2004-07-30 2:47 PM
in reply to: #41830

Since you are comfortable with both the bike and run, definately focus your training on the swim. I would swim at least two - three times a week. Is the swim an open water swim? If so, make sure you try an open water swim (or two, or three) before the race. OW swimming is very different from pool/lap swim. You will need to to learn about sighting and breathing in OW.

Also, try to work some Bricks (Bike/Run combinations) in to training. After a bike ride, try running 1-2 miles. Your legs will need to get used to running after the bike. Completely different from running stand alone.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon in 30 days! Rss Feed