Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another reason I hate smokers.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2006-10-26 9:38 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Another reason I hate smokers....

I do my best to ignore the smokers that clog the entrances to buildings, restaurants etc.  It annoys me that you can't walk into a business without having to pass through a tunnel of cigarette smoke.

I just recently started commuting to work by bike again.  But now I take a different route, which has me riding parallel to traffic that gets congested.  Each morning when I pass this line of a hundred or so cars I have to hold my breath because the cigarette smoke is so thick.  It is literally so thick that it makes my bike clothes smell like smoke.  Keep in mind I pass this traffic at 15 MPH and I'm outdoors.  If a person is going to smoke then they should keep the smoke to themselves.  Roll up your windows and enjoy the cloud.

Last night on the way home from work while riding through a neighborhood a car passed me and the driver flung a cigarette out of the window.  The car then pulled into his driveway and stopped.  I quickly stopped and grabbed the lit cigarette and proceeded to ride into his driveway and fling the cigarette back towards him saying...."Here, I think you dropped something."  The guy just stood there with a dazed look on his face.

My right to live with clean air supersedes a smokers right to smoke.

2006-10-26 9:47 AM
in reply to: #579561

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Another reason I hate smokers....
I absolutely hate those people who don't think cigarete buts are garbage. They throw them out there windows all the time and don't think twice about it. If they throw it near a but dispenser when they are done they figure it is close enough. This is one of those things that p*****s me off instantly. They have no respect for those around them when exhibiting these behaviours.
2006-10-26 9:49 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
I sympathize. Good for you on calling the driver on his butt! In NC we have these little litterbug cards that you can fill out and send to DMV ... you put the time, date, license number, road and the nature of the litter on the card and they'll send a note to the car owner letting them know they were observed littering. I fill out a couple a week on cigarette butts ... my little passive/aggressive way of letting the world know it's NOT okay!
2006-10-26 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
I was running the other night and passed 2 guys walking on the "hike and bike" trail smoking. Kinda ticked me off because I was on a running trail trying to enjoy a nice run and had to put up with it!
2006-10-26 9:55 AM
in reply to: #579597

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA

LukeTX04 - 2006-10-26 7:52 AM I was running the other night and passed 2 guys walking on the "hike and bike" trail smoking. Kinda ticked me off because I was on a running trail trying to enjoy a nice run and had to put up with it!

I can't complain too much, because california has strict laws on not smoking withing a certain area by public doors and areas...but I often will pass someone smoking on a nature trail or a hike and bike trail...and it really angers me.  My mother smokes, my partner smokes (he is not allowed to in the house or car)...I should be able to go for a run with out smoke!

2006-10-26 9:58 AM

User image

Elite

I guess I've never understood the Open Container laws, prohibiting people from drinking adult beverages in public.  A person walking down the street drinking a beer effects me less than the person toking on a cigarette.  (until that person smashes the bottle on the ground).  Either way, I would prefer there to be a Lit Cigarette Confinement law than a Open Container law.

2006-10-26 10:01 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
i also don't get the folks who roll down the window and have the cigarette dangling out. if you don't like the smoke - WHY ARE YOU SMOKING???? we are so lucky here in the cities that almost everyplace you go now is smoke free.

here is one of my many gripes with the habit (hate the habit, not the people): the guy who manages the coffee shop across the street is a great guy. we were talking one morning about how he wishes folks would see coffee more as a luxury than a necessity, because coffee is not the most sustainable crop, and the coffee industry, in general, is not very fair-trade, farmer-friendly, environmentally conscience, etc. ummm. i appreciate his points, but he smokes marlboros. talk about giving money right to a VERY corrupt, environmentally crappy, socially CRAPPY industry. its like people who drive a black-smoke-spitting-rusty-junker covered in environmentalist stickers. ride your f'in bike if you love mother earth so much! (says the woman w/ no drivers license)
2006-10-26 10:03 AM
in reply to: #579606

User image

Runner
oipolloi - 2006-10-26 10:58 AM

I guess I've never understood the Open Container laws, prohibiting people from drinking adult beverages in public. A person walking down the street drinking a beer effects me less than the person toking on a cigarette. (until that person smashes the bottle on the ground). Either way, I would prefer there to be a Lit Cigarette Confinement law than a Open Container law.

Because that person is most likely more impaired by alcohol, and therefore more likely to be a direct danger to himself and others by wandering in front of traffic, or public urination, or being a general nuisance.

Few years back, a kid slipped on a patch of ice walking home from a bar. He died. Parents sued the bar and won. Why? Dram shop laws in PA hold the establishment that person last visited, even if they didn't drink, responsible for what happens to that person after they leave. Even if the event was predicated by nature. Not sure why I bring this up, other than I don't agree with it.
2006-10-26 10:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
in reply to: #579621

Elite
Scout7 - 2006-10-26 10:03 AM
oipolloi - 2006-10-26 10:58 AM

Because that person is most likely more impaired by alcohol, and therefore more likely to be a direct danger to himself and others by wandering in front of traffic, or public urination, ....

We're all triathletes here.  I don't think we should be commenting on Public Urination.

Elite
Raleigh

Just remember something all you smoking haters (I dont smoke and never have by the way).

Smoking is a right.... and all of you guys that are trying to get people to stop smoking out in the public and rolling up the car windows. I hate smokers too and hate going out to eat or a bar and then smelling like smoke.

Just remember that some day they may come for something you like to do. Right now they are banning trans fat in New York City... I think I should have the right to eat what ever the hell I want to eat. But obviously someone else thinks they can decide what is better for my body than I can...

Just remember you were throwing stones at the smokers when your muched loved vice gets taken away and you think it is wrong.

in reply to: #579616

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio

autumn - 2006-10-26 9:01 AM i also don't get the folks who roll down the window and have the cigarette dangling out. if you don't like the smoke - WHY ARE YOU SMOKING???? we are so lucky here in the cities that almost everyplace you go now is smoke free. here is one of my many gripes with the habit (hate the habit, not the people): the guy who manages the coffee shop across the street is a great guy. we were talking one morning about how he wishes folks would see coffee more as a luxury than a necessity, because coffee is not the most sustainable crop, and the coffee industry, in general, is not very fair-trade, farmer-friendly, environmentally conscience, etc. ummm. i appreciate his points, but he smokes marlboros. talk about giving money right to a VERY corrupt, environmentally crappy, socially CRAPPY industry. its like people who drive a black-smoke-spitting-rusty-junker covered in environmentalist stickers. ride your f'in bike if you love mother earth so much! (says the woman w/ no drivers license)

You are all making the assumption that smokers have some intent, some malice involved with their smoking. I know people who smoke and despise the fact that they do. It's an incredibly addictive behavior that impinges on those around you. No arguement there. Still, I wonder why you all don't rail against the companies the produce this crap instead of some poor bastard holding his hand out of the windows so he doesn't smell like a complete ashtray.

2006-10-26 10:09 AM

Expert
Louisville, KY

We've got a local government web site that you can go to to turn the license plate number of people who toss out their butts. Apparently, they get some sort of letter to reprimand them. I'm sure most just toss the letter like they do with their butts, but it makes me feel better.

Also, this summer I was going through a McDonald's drive through for a post workout diet coke and realized that the landscaping mulch was on fire from a cigarette butt. Guess what I did with the diet coke??? At least the management was thankful that I did something about it and gave me another drink.

I think the whole thing is a complete oblivious lack of respect, which drives me nuts.  Ok, done with the rant.

2006-10-26 10:11 AM
in reply to: #579629

Queen BTich

As much as I hate smoking as well, Chris is absolutely right.

What if they were banning cycling from public roads and you couldn't train. What if their argument was that it was dangerous to other pedestrians and an inconvenience to drivers? Or its dangerous for cyclists b/c cars hit them, so no more riding?

Its annoying yes, I hate to walk through a cloud of smoke, but at least its not in the same office or public building like they used to be able to do.

trigods - 2006-10-26 10:07 AM

Just remember something all you smoking haters (I dont smoke and never have by the way).

Smoking is a right.... and all of you guys that are trying to get people to stop smoking out in the public and rolling up the car windows. I hate smokers too and hate going out to eat or a bar and then smelling like smoke.

Just remember that some day they may come for something you like to do. Right now they are banning trans fat in New York City... I think I should have the right to eat what ever the hell I want to eat. But obviously someone else thinks they can decide what is better for my body than I can...

Just remember you were throwing stones at the smokers when your muched loved vice gets taken away and you think it is wrong.

2006-10-26 10:15 AM

Master
Tampa, Fl
I'm not too concerned with smokers. We (non-smokers) got the entire airline industry, every square foot in restaurants (in Florida), and no one is allowed to smoke in my car or house. So it doesn't bother my that much. If I encounter a smoker while I'm running or biking, then its time for speed work. Now I'm going to be seriously pieced off if someone is pacing me in a lap pool while smoking.
2006-10-26 10:23 AM

Elite
San Jose, CA
The difference is the by product of smoking directly and immediately impedes my health.  As I get older, I have found that I am actually allergic to cigarette smoke and it impedes my ability to breath.  Even though there is no malice or intent, the action one person is taking is hurting someone else...unintentially.  The transfat law is just wrong.  But what I eat is not directly affecting those around me...well not unless I am a little gasy that day.   I understand that the  addiction in incredibley difficult as my mother and partner have tried to quit several times, and can't.  But the point is, if you do something intentional (smoke) that unintentially affects those around you, you are still responsible for affecting those people. 

2006-10-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #579630

molto veloce mama
t, this is why i said

autumn - 2006-10-26 9:01 AM

hate the habit, not the people

i lost my grandfather to lung cancer, and my grandmother's cancer was probably related to second hand smoke. my father in law had half a lung removed last year, and every few months we get a scare that some black spot has shown up...and that the cancer might be back. my sister in law smoked through her pregnancy w/ my nephew. i love her, i hate that she couldn't quit...but she couldn't. she's totally hooked. it is an awful habit, and an ADDICTION, but being addicted doesn't give smokers the right to make other people miserable.
in reply to: #579627

molto veloce mama
not funny.

and hey, so will we all.

Edited by autumn 2006-10-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: #579650

Elite
San Jose, CA

ROBIT79 - 2006-10-26 8:15 AM I'm not too concerned with smokers. We (non-smokers) got the entire airline industry, every square foot in restaurants (in Florida), and no one is allowed to smoke in my car or house. So it doesn't bother my that much. If I encounter a smoker while I'm running or biking, then its time for speed work. Now I'm going to be seriously pieced off if someone is pacing me in a lap pool while smoking.

When did they outlaw smoking in restraunts in Florida?  I was there quite a few years ago, and the non-smoking section in restraunts was usually like two table in the middle of the restraunts and when I asked for non-smoking I was looked at like I was some monster.  Surprised that they have done a complete reversal...again its been quite a few years.

2006-10-26 10:26 AM
in reply to: #579630

Elite
tmwelshy - 2006-10-26 10:07 AM

autumn - 2006-10-26 9:01 AM )

You are all making the assumption that smokers have some intent, some malice involved with their smoking. I know people who smoke and despise the fact that they do. It's an incredibly addictive behavior that impinges on those around you. No arguement there. Still, I wonder why you all don't rail against the companies the produce this crap instead of some poor bastard holding his hand out of the windows so he doesn't smell like a complete ashtray.

I don't rail against the "company" because I believe we, as humans, should be able to make our own decisions on what's right and what's wrong, good or bad.  Personal responsibility.

And, I'm not suggesting the 'Man' take the right to smoke away from people.  I just wish smokers would have a conscious.

2006-10-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: #579642

molto veloce mama
should we also make it a right for food workers not to wash their hands? or for rats to be okay in restaurants? public smoking is a public health concern. if i was having dinner with you, and i popped a pill of ammonia, cyanide, lead, benzene, formaldehyde, etc (just name a few), you might think i'm nuts. how would you feel if i said, after dinner 'oh, i popped one of those pills in your water too...and the waters of the family of 5 next to us, and actually, the waters of everyone in our section' how would you feel? it is not about the right to do what we like, it is about protecting everyone's health in a REASONABLE way. just like we have rules about how fast you can drive, drinking and driving, sanitation for restaurants, so too do we need rules about where people can smoke.

2006-10-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #579662

molto veloce mama
runningwoof - 2006-10-26 10:23 AM

The difference is the by product of smoking directly and immediately impedes my health. As I get older, I have found that I am actually allergic to cigarette smoke and it impedes my ability to breath. Even though there is no malice or intent, the action one person is taking is hurting someone else...unintentially. The transfat law is just wrong. But what I eat is not directly affecting those around me...well not unless I am a little gasy that day. I understand that the addiction in incredibley difficult as my mother and partner have tried to quit several times, and can't. But the point is, if you do something intentional (smoke) that unintentially affects those around you, you are still responsible for affecting those people.

very well said. especially the gassy part as far as i know, there aren't any studies linking flatulence to cancer, so i think you're safe
2006-10-26 10:34 AM

Queen BTich
Again, cycling is dangerous because people ride on roads and can get hit by cars or cause accidents. I guess they should outlaw that as well.
2006-10-26 10:36 AM

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Smokers' rights vs. Non-smokers' rights? Yeah, give them the right to smoke ... why exactly ... does that mean I have to give up my right to not? If you're smoking next to me in public ... I'm smoking, too. In my view, you don't have the right to make that decision for me. That's why I think windows should be rolled up and public places all made non-smoking. Smoke in your own space. And NOTHING gives a smoker the right to decide that a cigarette butt isn't litter. GRRRR! My vice is food ... and perhaps it would be good for someone to make it harder for me to eat ... but nothing I eat, publically or privately, is going to make YOU fat.
2006-10-26 10:37 AM

Master
White Oak, Texas
Smoking is a nasty habit but it is a legal product and I am very concerned with the laws we are passing restricting the rights of citizens to enjoy a legal product. It think it is rude and obnoxious to smoke on a running trail, outside the entrance to a building or most other places that I have to smell it.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Another reason I hate smokers.... Rss Feed  

of 5